What kind of pick are you using?

Visconti

• Members

I use the V-Pick Snake Buffed and Unbuffed. Not too pointy. The pick thinkness is 4.10mm and will set you back $10.00. Cool thing about this pick is it has 3 corners that are the same and last a long time. My right and left hands are more in synch because of this pick.

I also use the Instant Nail Kit. I glue the nails on my middle and ring fingers. The whole kit cost $20 bucks.

snakepick.jpg

kit1.gif

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A friend of mine got custom picks from Clayton along with his band. They have his band logo and signature on them, and they are 1.26mm delrin. The printing doesn't wear off, and since they're thick delrin, they last a good long time. In fact, I lose them before they wear out. He gave me enough to last me a year or two, given the rate I lose picks.

Oh, but before that, I used 1.14mm delrin whatever brand.

• Members

kolapsar wrote:

orange tortex

This. Anything thinner (even a .58) makes that annoying card-in-the-spokes sound as you strum, and anything thicker (and they don't make anything between 60 and 73) starts bucking in your fingers as you strum. My only question to Dunlop is, why neon orange? You couldn't have chosen any other color? I only just found the Pitch Black line, and they're a custom order from GC, which for a $4 bag of picks that will last me a year or more, just isn't worth it.

• Members

For years I used the Dunlop Nylon picks. I liked how soft they felt when playing. I also liked tortex but mainly stuck with the nylon.

I have recently discovered the Tortex H3's though and pretty much won't use anything else, especially for metal. For rock and blues stuff I still pick up the nylons occasionally.

Dunlop H3

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Given how picks can alter sound, why do so many of us just stick to one kind (myself included)? Shouldn't we all have picks of varying materials for different sounds?

Can't speak for anyone else but I simply like the way Dunlop .60mm nylons feel when I play. I haven't found anything else I like better.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Given how picks can alter sound, why do so many of us just stick to one kind (myself included)? Shouldn't we all have picks of varying materials for different sounds?

I've tried a fairly wide variety over the years.  I've found that with a very thick pick I can get a pretty wide variety of tones by subtly altering the dynamics of my playing, which I can't do as well with a thinner pick. 

Of the thick ones I've tried, the big stubbies had the clearest tone, they hold up well, and they are easy to grip.  There are one or two others out there I'd like to try, but I get most any sound I want with the big stubby.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Couldnt agree more. I have a shaped, very thick wooden pick. Great for smokey blues. A metal pick my grandaughter bought me for bright.

Snarling dog brain pick reds for the rest.

Archived