Fender Blacktop Jaguar B90

twotimingpete

• Members

Tone Deaf wrote:

Aside from shape and scale there's nothing left that makes it a jaguar. Still cool though since Fender's offerings of P90 guitars is somewhat slim.

You say that as if shape and scale aren't defining characteristics of a jaguar, especially considering the vast majority of fender's lineup is 25.5 scale. Only the jaguar and mustang aren't, as far as I know.

• Members

@Tone Deaf

I think that defining a guitar by its shape makes the most sense. After all, most models come with a few different pickup configs. This B90 here would either be a Jazzmaster or a Jaguar, depending on its scale. As it is 24", it's a Jag.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

Just scored one of these. Killer little guitar.

The P90s are a bit different than your typical Gibson type. Maybe on account of the alder/maple build or maybe the pickups. Not sure but it definitely has more "Fender" sound than a typical LP Special or the like.

Excellent playability. The three way switch on mine is a bit wonky and needs replaced. I guess that's what you get on $500 MIM Fenders, eh?

The woodwork is nice, finish looks good but appears to be sprayed and unbuffed. I see a little orange peel on it. Decent fretwork and the neck finish is good.

The only real complaint I have is that it needs a but more neck angle for the tune o matic bridge to have enough break angle. I may need to shim it up a little.

I see Musician's Friend is selling them at $400 now. Pretty good deal for this, IMO.

If you're a Fender guy but would like something that sounds more Gibson-like, this may be a good option for you.

• Members

Tone Deaf wrote:

Aside from shape and scale there's nothing left that makes it a jaguar. Still cool though since Fender's offerings of P90 guitars is somewhat slim.

Silly. If it's not a Jaguar, then what is it? An SG? A Les Paul?

The shape of the body defines the guitar. It's a freaking Jaguar with 2 P90's. How hard is that to accept?

• Members

Elias Graves wrote:

The P90s are a bit different than your typical Gibson type. Maybe on account of the alder/maple build or maybe the pickups. Not sure but it definitely has more "Fender" sound than a typical LP Special or the like.

Excellent playability. The three way switch on mine is a bit wonky and needs replaced. I guess that's what you get on $500 MIM Fenders, eh?

The woodwork is nice, finish looks good but appears to be sprayed and unbuffed. I see a little orange peel on it. Decent fretwork and the neck finish is good.

The only real complaint I have is that it needs a but more neck angle for the tune o matic bridge to have enough break angle. I may need to shim it up a little.

I see Musician's Friend is selling them at $400 now. Pretty good deal for this, IMO.

If you're a Fender guy but would like something that sounds more Gibson-like, this may be a good option for you.

Pics?

• Members

Elias Graves wrote:

HNGD

I think a bigsby on a black one would look bitch'n

• Members

Engl Kramer Engl Kramer Super Contributor

Dec 18

That link isn't working for me EG - not sure if its me (windows phone)

Add Comment

Kudo 0

Sorry, man. This forum software is jacked. I have no way of posting a pic from my iPhone. Here's a direct link.

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z352/ElijahGardener/BAFDE274-8157-47D7-99A9-FFDDEDC576F1_zpsgaefmc3h.jpg

• Members

6down1togo 6down1togo Super Contributor

Dec 18

Bucksstudent wrote:

6down1togo wrote:

Tone Deaf wrote:

Silly. If it's not a Jaguar, then what is it? An SG? A Les Paul?

The shape of the body defines the guitar. It's a freaking Jaguar with 2 P90's. How hard is that to accept?

Because the original Jaguar is almost a totally different guitar. When Squier released a Jazzmaster without the rhythm circuit and trem, it wasn't really the same guitar apart from the shape and pickups. Part of the reason many JM players get a JM is because of those features. Half of the JM allure is the trem system and how distortion affects the harmonics.

Fender has put out several incarnations of the Jaguar. I mean, when you see a Strat with two humbuckers, it kinda defeats the purpose of calling it a Strat beyond the body shape. It's the same with the Jaguar.

But, that's just my opinion. No need to get up in arms about it.

OK you win, it's an SG Classic with a Fender Jaguar body and neck, not a Jaguar.

I'd call it more a Fender twist on a Les Paul Special.

• Members

Elias Graves wrote:

Engl Kramer Engl Kramer Super Contributor

Dec 18

That link isn't working for me EG - not sure if its me (windows phone)

Add Comment

Kudo 0

Sorry, man. This forum software is jacked. I have no way of posting a pic from my iPhone. Here's a direct link.

No worries EG- that's very sweet, I'm very partial to CAR at the moment. I really want one of those blacktop strats in that colour. Congrats!

Archived