CMG Guitars - Damn, these are cool

Visconti

• Members

These are affordable guitars made in the USA.

Ashlee US Custom --- Price $1,399

• Body: Mahogany
  • Neck: Mahogany
  • Fretboard: Rosewood
  • Top: Curly Maple
  • Binding: Masked (Roll Over)
  • Inlays: Side Dots Only
  • Frets: Nickel, Medium
  • Scale: 24 3/4?
  • Radius: 12?
  • Nut: 1 3/4?
  • Bridge: ResoMax Wraparound
  • Tuners: Grover
  • Pickups: DiMarzio PAF 36 Anniversary
  • Controls: Volume, Tone, 3-Way
  • Finish: Western Tolex Top
  • CMG Gigbag Included

cmg2.jpg

cmg3.jpg

cmg4.jpg

cmg5.jpg

cmg6.jpg

• Members

There have been a few threads about this builder. He was busted for selling other people's intellectual property, which forced a couple design alterations to comply with law.

Let me see.. I kinda dig the tolex one, and the "natural" binding on the solid color ones is cool. I hate the pinstripe ones. There was a thread with those already.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

There have been a few threads about this builder. He was busted for selling other people's intellectual property, which forced a couple design alterations to comply with law.

Let me see.. I kinda dig the tolex one, and the "natural" binding on the solid color ones is cool. I hate the pinstripe ones. There was a thread with those already.

Why do you have to hate the Ashlee US

• Members

This reminds me of the debacle with DocJeffery a while ago. I don't have a problem with Doc anymore, but I remember several members complaining that he showed off his gear a lot, but didn't add much to discussion.

Visconti, I think the guitars that you are posting are cool, but I don't think many of the regular posters here are impressed by you posting them. I don't think you care, though. Before the Lithium change, I don't think people would have cared as much, but now we have a limited number of new threads per day. I think in their eyes you're invading their space with spam.

As for these guitars, I think they're pretty ugly. I think PRS started the trend of adding non-traditional designs to single-cut guitars, but at least they're going to appreciate in value.

And I wouldn't call anything over a grand "affordable." I wouldn't call anything over six hundred dollars "affordable." IMO, if you use that term, you should consider the minimum wagers and weekend warriors (not so much the guy with no money at all, like me). They're the ones who want quality guitars at low prices, and there's a big difference between a Classic Vibe and CMG, you know?

And yes, I own an Epiphone Les Paul. Great guitar, especially since I got it in a trade. Yesterday, I got a DeArmond in a trade too. It's a long time before I'm in and out of law school, so any guitars I get will probably be in the zero to five-hundred range, and that's if I either trade or save up. It would take over a year for me to buy a CMG guitar.

That's all just my opinion. Ignore or consider this post as you like.

• Members

Awe , how precious.  Buckstudent trying to have a real conversation with a major troll. Poor thing must just not realize he is thirty or forty visconti troll threads behind the rest of the forum and hopefully he'll catch up pretty quickly.  It will still be amusing if not though, so either way is good for me.

• Members

I'm not too suprised they can make these at this price point with CNC machines and relatively unskilled labor in the US. Once you've made the initial investment in the machines the unit cost should be fairly low. You're not getting a completely hand built instrument but then you aren't with Gibson, either. I think the make or break point on these will be whether or not they're plek'd. If not, I'd expect the fret work to be on par with a well-built import - certainly not bad but not something I'd want to spend $1100 on. I'm sure plek isn't as good as hand fretting by a master luthier but every one I've played has been fantastic. Then again, you're not paying master luthier prices, either.

I do like the look of them. They're different enough from the LP to get your attention but close enough to not look like they were just trying to make it weird. Would go out of my way to try one if they were stocked nearby.

Archived