Gibson discontinued the Flying V and Explorer

kadrocker1

• Members

kadrocker1 wrote:

Geez. Two guitars I really wanted. I've been saving for a long time to buy both. I went to see what my options were and lo and behold- no has any for sale. Damn.

Think they'll come back?

Guess there's always used.

Where's the link? Gibson are NOT discontinuing these guitars.

• Members

Visconti wrote:

kadrocker1 wrote:

Geez. Two guitars I really wanted. I've been saving for a long time to buy both. I went to see what my options were and lo and behold- no has any for sale. Damn.

Think they'll come back?

Where's the link? Gibson are NOT discontinuing these guitars.

Good point. Just because a guitar isn

• Members

I wouldn't mind an epiphone explorer but

A) I don't like the gothic one because it doesn't have inlays on the fretboard.

B) I don't like glittery silver finish

C) the silverburst one is ok, but not my favorite finish. And I don't know who Brenden Small is, and I'm picky with signature models. And I don't like the fact it says "thunderhorse" on the truss rod cover. Guess that could be changed out.

I wanted a cherry explorer but zzounds only has white and ebony.

• Members

kadrocker1 wrote:

Think they'll come back?

Maybe you are confusing Epiphone for Gibson.  Epiphone discontinued their V and the Explorer.  

• Members

That was about 40 years too late....

I can't figure out why the made them in the first place.....especially that Explorer...... had one in the shop once that someone traded in.....thing weighed 77lbs......sat there for 2 years.....finally I gave one of the co-teachers a stooopid good deal on it as I was tired of seeing it on the wall.

• Members

kadrocker1 wrote:

I emailed gibson and got this response....

"Hey Kirk, there are currently no standard Flying V's in production. There is no information on when/if they will be produced in the future. - Alex"

Damn.

Oh well, I'm gonna build my own V.

Or you can buy a used one.

• Members

I'm set on the Gibson.

Back in the late 80s my brother brought home a VHS tape of a live Metallica show. I was about six or seven years old but I remember seeing Kirk play a black V and James was using a white V.

It was a kill em all or ride the lightning era show. Looked like a bootleg- but I don't remember. Cliff em All, maybe?

Anyway, I saw those two V's in action and never forgot it.

I got to play a few V's a here and there over the years and freaking loved them.

I bought a used V copy for $50 about ten years ago. It was a perfect Gibson copy. No brand, just said "made in japan" on the back of the headstock. It unfortunately met its fate at the end of show. I let a friend borrow it and the other guitarist in his band smashed it. I only owned it for a few months.

Imagine the horror as I watched this all go down.

Archived