Octave Multiplexer

Bucksstudent

• Members

I thought it sounded way over the top, and sometimes not even like a guitar - and I'm guessing that was the point. The quick flurries of notes with the fuzz and octave drenching gave off a pretty psychedelic feeling, I think. I liked it. It was unconventional, and I think you do unconventional pretty well.

Thanks for posting!

• Members

I've got a micropog.  It's more like a fun toy than a productive effect, IMO, at least as far as using the organ sound out of it. 

I've been using it more lately as an octave down pedal, which can get you a sort of psychedelic spacey effect.  It does track better than most octave pedals, but I think there are others out there that get a more musical sound.

• Members

No, it's not.  It some ways it's better, as the Mu-tron doesn't do the poly stuff, and the EHX tracks better.  It doesn't sound quite as musical, though.  The one that is a clone, and a very good one, is the BYOC divided octave kit.

With the BYOC kit, some folks who own both couldn't discern the difference, even in a double blind test.  The guys on the GD forums are pretty much convinced you can't tell the difference, and at $119 for the kit vs. something like $800-900 for a used Mu-Tron it's a no-brainer.

BTW, if you are interested in Jerry tones check out the new Tru-tron III.  It's being made by Mike Biedel, who designed the original Mu-Tron III and founded Mu-Tron.  It's pretty pricey, but cheaper and much more reliable than one of the originals, and arguably sounds better than any of the other autowah/envelope pedals out there, and is in the same ballpark as one of the originals.

• Members

Mr.scary96 wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I would do the BYOC but I'm prone to screwing stuff like that up.

And I think it is supposed to be a complex build.  Maybe find someone who would build it for you for a reasonable fee?  Even with that it would be cheaper than a micropog, let alone POG or HOG.

Archived