Talking Guitars-what's the most blasphemous mod you can thing of?

bjcarl

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by xrleroyx

View Post

I know a guy who back in the 70's routed out a '62 strat for humbuckers. Also know of a 60's Les Paul Custom with a Kahler.

Ask Bbreaker...back then, they didn't know what they had smile.gif We have an awesome vintage shop here in Northern VA where I've actually seen a '59 Junior routed out and fitted with a Dimarzio super distortion ;(

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl

View Post

Ask Bbreaker...back then, they didn't know what they had smile.gif We have an awesome vintage shop here in Northern VA where I've actually seen a '59 Junior routed out and fitted with a Dimarzio super distortion ;(

I'd buy that and just mod it to fit a P-90. Seems like a good deal...

• Members

I've spent so much time taking something rough and making it look the best I can that
I just can't imagine taking something nice and making it look like crap.
When I see reliced I think of words like fake. phoney and wanna be

• Members

A guitar is a tool for making music. Any modification that someone does to their instrument that makes it more suited to that task (for them!) is an improvement; I might not think it would be an improvement for me, but if it's not my guitar, it's not my problem. Purely cosmetic modifications seem a little silly to me, like painting a crescent wrench or something, but who am I to complain about the color of someone else's crescent wrench?

The only blasphemous thing you can do to a guitar is not play it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jonny guitar View Post
For electrics, I would say it would be all those nice vintage guitars in the 80's that got Floyd routing done to them....made me want to cry.
Kahler mods are on the list too.

DSC07191.jpg

Here we have a Kahler mod, a humbucker mod, and the most blasphemous of all: a humbucking ring ON A pickguard. WTF. And I happen to own this (now) abomination freak.gif.
I hear these Washburn A-15s are fairly rare too cry.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl View Post
I did a google search for "Gretsch with EMGs"...was hoping to find a big rockabilly box all tricked out and this is all i came up with:

axe01.jpg

It actually looks kinda cool, but wtf??? cop.giffreak.gif
Yeah I think this is pretty bad. Again it looks cool... just I don't want to know that someone has taken it and done that to it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by arrowhen View Post
A guitar is a tool for making music. Any modification that someone does to their instrument that makes it more suited to that task (for them!) is an improvement; I might not think it would be an improvement for me, but if it's not my guitar, it's not my problem. Purely cosmetic modifications seem a little silly to me, like painting a crescent wrench or something, but who am I to complain about the color of someone else's crescent wrench?

A big +1 on that. A while back CSM had a thread about one of his mates that had cut a vintage strat down to almost Steinberger size - if that made for a better instrument for him then more power to him.

• Members

It all depends on how you view a guitar. If it is a tool to make music then what ever modifications you need to get the job done are perfectly fine. If you for whatever reason believe a guitar is an investment like gold or silver anything you do to that guitar that changes it from the way it left the factory is unacceptable.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by arrowhen View Post
This

And that nascar idiot who after winning a race and being presented with a handmade Gibson guitar showed is appreciation by smashing it.

• Members

A guitar is a tool for making music. Any modification that someone does to their instrument that makes it more suited to that task (
for them!
) is an improvement; I might not think it would be an improvement
for me
, but if it's not my guitar, it's not my problem. Purely cosmetic modifications seem a little silly to me, like painting a crescent wrench or something, but who am I to complain about the color of someone else's crescent wrench?

Totally agree with this.

Archived