Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Talking Guitars-what's the most blasphemous mod you can thing of?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Gibson

Gear:
    Cort m200 (with SD 59/JB combo)
    Ampeg Dan Armstrong
    Gibson Firebird Studio
    Gibson Explorer x2 (natural/white)
    Gibson LP studio
    Squier Tele Custom II
    Godin LG EMG
    Hello Kitty Strat
    Edwards LPC
    Jackson COW 6
    Jim Root Strat
    ESP Eclipse I DBSB
    Billy Corgan Strat
    50s Tribute Goldtop HB
    Squier Mini Strat
    Fender Cabronita Tele

Comment

• badtoofs
      badtoofs commented
      Editing a comment

i love that one. i wouldnt want it done to something rare but i like it. i'd assume the ballance is better on this one

Um... nothing.

It's just some bits of wood and metal. Do whatever you want to it. Reverence towards guitars = dumb.

Comment

Just in general for me, it's folks yanking good pickups out and replacing them with pickups that IMO are inferior.

People pay me to do that to their guitars. It's their guitar and their money. I'll take it from them and give 'em back an axe that sounds like ****************. Don't bother me none.

Comment

Um... nothing.

It's just some bits of wood and metal. Do whatever you want to it. Reverence towards guitars = dumb.

This sucks and really depresses me. I feel so foolish-as should everyone-for wasting so much time talking about guitars on an internet forum when, really, all they are is bits of metal and wood.

Comment

The odd part, is that most of us here, myself included, generally rail against Relics, but yet the new guitar market is still chock full of them. Fender Relics & Gibson VOS models. Someone must sure love them but they're not fessin up.

I'll happily 'fess up. The biggest argument for relics is the necks: worn in just the right places to give it a very comfortable feel.

And I find the quality control on relics - whether through a Custom Shop or a small builder like Nash or Danocaster - are more consistent than the original 50's and 60's Fenders and Gibsons. I've played vintage guitars that were heavenly and some that were good only for firewood. $1,500 for a Nash strat copy versus $30,000+ for a genuine '56 Strat? Hmm . . .

And yes, Fender knocked one out of the park with the Road Worn series. The Tex-Mex pickups aren't the greatest but the necks are excellent and fit & finish are phenomenal.
          Originally Posted by Warren Buffett

“There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”

Member of the Hamer Squad

Founder of the Danelectro Horde

Third Cousin of The Orange-y Family

Good dealings with: GreatDane, Norcal_GIT_r (x2), solly, puckman, rydia is hot, 98 les paul, JerEvil

MY GUITARS

Comment

A Bigsby on anything.
            I one day hope to be the man my dog thinks I am.WORDS OF WISDOM FROM VARIOUS MEMBERS"most often the guitar will rise or fall to the level of the player""people overthink ****************""Sometimes you gotta know when to shut the **************** up and have a little class. Not you, you're special.""If it sounds good to you then it sounds good"The bull**************** and myths in the guitar world are stacked very high.

Comment

Um... nothing.

We agree here bigtime. When it comes to electric guitars I have no love for something that is not playable. If that means changing up a new instrument to make it a great player or hacking a vintage piece within an inch of its life to make it sound its best then I am all over it.

Yea... I am that guy that would take a 57 strat, rip out the pickups and put in rails and then route it for a floyd. Then my friends... We would have a great guitar.
              GuitarHeads: http://www.guitarheads.orgSome of My Music: Scott Abene - Reverb Nation"Ich bin Jung und brauche das Geld"-Eko Fresh

Comment

I'm not an Explorer purist, but these two certainly come to mind:

I know, I know, EVH's was an Ibanez Destroyer. Was.

Reminds me of

'07 Ibanez RG350DX
                '65 Fender Jazzmaster
                '72 Gretsch Country Gentleman
                '02 Squier Bullet Special
                '60's mystery acoustic archtop

Offset Guitar Project

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier -> No cabinet for it yet
                Digitech Bad Monkey -> Boss MD-2 -> '72 Fender Super Reverb
                DOD Grunge amp

Comment

This sucks and really depresses me. I feel so foolish-as should everyone-for wasting so much time talking about guitars on an internet forum when, really, all they are is bits of metal and wood.
                  huh? Could you not put words into my mouth?

I never said anybody here was dumb for liking guitars. I'm saying that there's nothing that you could do to one which would be 'blasphemous'. It's a ****************ing tool for making music, end of story. People who spend all their time making sure their guitars are spotless and as near-original spec as possible are the ones you should pity; not that there's anything wrong with keeping your guitar stock - most of mine are and those that aren't have reversible mods. That being said, if I had an LP Studio you can bet I'd route that mofo for a Kahler faster than you can say 'Floyd Rose'.

Comment

I think a humbucker-sized pickup at any position on a stratocaster is just plain wrong on several levels
                    A+++++This

Comment

super distortion humbucker in a 57 strat-yeah Im taliking to you dave murray

stuff:
                      52RI Tele
                      Gibson SG 1970s Tribute
                      more stuff:
                      65 Twin Reverb Reissue
                      Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate

The REAL Angry

Comment

huh? Could you not put words into my mouth?

I never said anybody here was dumb for liking guitars. I'm saying that there's nothing that you could do to one which would be 'blasphemous'. It's a ****************ing tool for making music, end of story. People who spend all their time making sure their guitars are spotless and as near-original spec as possible are the ones you should pity; not that there's anything wrong with keeping your guitar stock - most of mine are and those that aren't have reversible mods. That being said, if I had an LP Studio you can bet I'd route that mofo for a Kahler faster than you can say 'Floyd Rose'.

Agree with you! Guitars are a tool for making music. I don't understand why people get so offended if someone mods their own guitar to better make the music they want to! The whole it's a sin attitude when someone puts a bucker in a strat or tele makes no sense to me. If you like single coils use them. If you don't change them. I don't care much for tattoo's, but if I see someone covered in them I don't get offended and say that it is wrong and not the way the body was meant to be.

Comment

I guess if it's your guitar you're free to **************** it up any way you want. Ya know, all you tool guys out there.

But I get the heebie-jeebies when I see a vintage Strat routed for a FR or a Gretsch fitted with EMG's (for that matter I don't like anything with EMG's ). Here's an idea: if you want something with such a radically different sound than what you have why not find a guitar that's made to sound that way in the first place?
                          Guitars: 1990ish Fender American Standard Strat,
                          Epiphone Sheraton II, Austin strat copy, mid-1930s Martin R-18

Amps: Fender Blues DeVille 4X10 tweed, 60s Ampeg Jet

Comment

Route out an LP and add Strat pickups?
                            No sig.

Comment

Route out an LP and add Strat pickups?

strat pups with a strat pickguard and a kahler...

Comment

Working...
                              X