Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Talking Guitars-what's the most blasphemous mod you can thing of?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sanding down a vintage instrument and staining it brown
    "Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more."
    Nikola Tesla

Comment

Any Les Paul routed for a Kahler!

yup
      "Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more."
      Nikola Tesla

Comment

and the most blasphemous of all: a humbucking ring ON A pickguard. WTF.

I always thought Dave Murray's Strat looked pretty cool.

Fender's version:

Originally Posted by csm

The first, and most frequently violated rule of punk is: THERE ARE NO RULES.

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." — David Gilmour

Fender :: Gibson :: Epiphone :: Ibanez :: Yamaha
        Blackstar :: Orange :: Vox

Comment

Even though the whole "guitars are just tools" argument is probably true, I find it infinitely annoying whenever someone brings it up in these types of threads. Obviously the OP and the people wanting to throw out their opinions don't hold to that, and when people say that, they come off sounding like elitist snobs. So please stop pissing in other people's Cheerios, and go start a thread about how your guitar and the power strip you plug into hold the same value to you as a means to an end.

And to answer the OP's question for me, I think that the only blasphemous thing you can do is borrow a guitar from someone and then mod it. That's low. I am not keen on routing things or doing major mods, but for all the modded 60's Strats, in the 70s, that's like modding a Strat from '00 or so. Even if it's a USA, no one would complain much, and I'm sure it was the same back then.
          Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

This

And that nascar idiot who after winning a race and being presented with a handmade Gibson guitar showed is appreciation by smashing it.

Maybe it had QC issues.
            Hold mah beer an' watch this!

Comment

Talking guitars would be blasphemous.

"you played a G chord"

actually it might be cool
              My Gear
              Schecter Corsair
              TelePartsCaster x3
              Dano Convertible

Taylor 114
              Gretsch Americana

Vox Pathfinder 15R
              Vox VT15
              Fender SCXD
              Yamaha THR5

For Sale:
              Duncan Pickups

BG Pups Tele Set

Looking For:
              Vox AC4C1 amp
              Gibson 70s tribute minihum pickup(s)

Comment

Ask Bbreaker...back then, they didn't know what they had We have an awesome vintage shop here in Northern VA where I've actually seen a '59 Junior routed out and fitted with a Dimarzio super distortion ;(

Where in northern VA? I used to be in Alexandria but last week moved to Falls Church. Been here a whole year (in January) and still know very little about the area.
                Originally posted by fu2jobu"1999 was all about me wanting to find Lou Bega and giving him a few good bitch slaps. "FS/FT - LTD Mirage guitar with EMG pickups. (MIJ)http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/FS-FT-LTD-Mirage-guitar-emg-pickups/m-p/36167161/highlight/false#M290782

Comment

Where in northern VA? I used to be in Alexandria but last week moved to Falls Church. Been here a whole year (in January) and still know very little about the area.

Action Music in Falls Church-212 N.West St...right past the 7-11...if you haven't checked it out, you owe yourself...I think it's one of the best shops in the entire country-they do repairs on guitars and amps, always have an assortment of guitars for cheap and vintage stuff that's WAY out of reach, but nearly everything's quality...the owner's name is Matt, tell him Carl sent you!

Comment

It all depends on how you view a guitar. If it is a tool to make music then what ever modifications you need to get the job done are perfectly fine. If you for whatever reason believe a guitar is an investment like gold or silver anything you do to that guitar that changes it from the way it left the factory is unacceptable.
                    I think it's safe to say there's a certain element of humor/sarcasm intended in this thread...no need to take it seriously.

Comment

ewwwww...

gross.

Comment

A
                        Action Music in Falls Church-212 N.West St...right past the 7-11...if you haven't checked it out, you owe yourself...I think it's one of the best shops in the entire country-they do repairs on guitars and amps, always have an assortment of guitars for cheap and vintage stuff that's WAY out of reach, but nearly everything's quality...the owner's name is Matt, tell him Carl sent you!

Awesome! I actually googled guitar shops last night and this was the first one that came up. I think i live less than 2 miles from it. Will check it out. Thanks Carl!
                        Originally posted by fu2jobu"1999 was all about me wanting to find Lou Bega and giving him a few good bitch slaps. "FS/FT - LTD Mirage guitar with EMG pickups. (MIJ)http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/FS-FT-LTD-Mirage-guitar-emg-pickups/m-p/36167161/highlight/false#M290782

Comment

I've spent so much time taking something rough and making it look the best I can that
                          I just can't imagine taking something nice and making it look like crap.
                          When I see reliced I think of words like fake. phoney and wanna be

The thing that bothers me the most about relics is the "economics". I can see folks wanting a relic'd guitar to get that same sense of comfort as a worn pair of jeans. But since most relics are higher end, the economics of having a nice guitar and then paying substantially more to have the finish, metals and p'ups scratched, chipped, dinged and tarnished just doesn't add up for me.

That being said, I do have 1 Road Worn Telecaster Custom, but I bought that guitar for the lighter finish and build quality used on that particular guitar vs the other MIM builds. I was also tempted by the Joe Strummer telecaster, (especially when it was clearance priced) but never did get up enough GAS to make that leap.

But I can only rationalize the economics of a relic if it comes with some other enhancements in the deal AND it only adds a nominal amount to the cost. Really, the "poser" aspect doesn't enter into it for me. It's purely the aesthetics and economics that bother me. The comfort of not cringing each time you gently knock a relic guitar accidentally against another object is enough to out-weigh (for me) the poser concern.

The odd part, is that most of us here, myself included, generally rail against Relics, but yet the new guitar market is still chock full of them. Fender Relics & Gibson VOS models. Someone must sure love them but they're not fessin up.
                          A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
                          HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
                          Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
                          I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

Just in general for me, it's folks yanking good pickups out and replacing them with pickups that IMO are inferior.

The Gretsch in the OP isn't something I'd do either. But when I first saw it I also thought, well, at least it's only an Electromatic.
                            A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
                            HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
                            Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
                            I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

Yes, it's a '59.
                              Tauntr.com - Adding Insult to Everything!Neck Pocket Cavern Surveyor for the Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You club!"In all fairness, Les Pauls have a switch position labeled "Rhythm", while Strats do not, because they are lead guitars for lead guitarists." -Flatspotter

Comment

Just in general for me, it's folks yanking good pickups out and replacing them with pickups that IMO are inferior.

The Gretsch in the OP isn't something I'd do either. But when I first saw it I also thought, well, at least it's only an Electromatic.

Yeah I keep thinking of a guy I knew who played a Gretsch Country Club with Dimarzios. Ick.
                                Fender-TeleSonic Tele Elite, ProJr, 75Amp, '67 Bassman w/212 cab
                                Gretsch- 71 Nashville, 2003 New Nashville
                                Gibson- 76 LP '55 model
                                BC Rich- 1977 Koa Eagle deluxe
                                Martin- 1972 D-35
                                Mesa Boogie-Subway Blues w/12" EVM 12L-F cab.
                                Assorted fun toys and boxes of joy.
                                "Many are cold, few are frozen"

Comment

Working...
                                X