What do acrylic guitars sound like?

Virgman

• Members

I've played a bunch of those Dillon acrylic's and also a few of those acrylic guitars that Keith Richards used to play back in the seventies (Dan Armstrong?). I've never play one cranked with a band though.

They tend to sound on bright, you don't get any wood resonance so the sound is pretty much pure pickup.

I saw a video of the Stones (Sticky Fingers era) doing a small club gig and Keith was playing one, it sounded like crap next to Mick Taylor's SG. Though I've read that Mr. Richards was in some miserble mood during that taping due to a recent drug bust or some such trouble.

• Members

stones' 1969 tour had Keef on the Armstrong, bootlegs are widely available (fileshare, etc) to hear it in action.

grohl used one quite a bit for the promo/tour work behind the record before this last one. again, plenty of material available to hear it in action.

• Members

Originally posted by silverkw

i'd imagine the low end ones sound crappy.

but higher end artificial material could sound good as well, i don't know if they are gonna be transparent. examples include Joe Satriani's certain Chrome Boy, Parker, etc.

i always thought satchs chrome boy was just plated not actually made of chrome

• Members

I had an acrylic BC RICH.... it sounded fine for metal applications (didnt use it for much else).

I bought it mainly as a novelty thing I thought would look cool onstage.

Yes believe the hype. acrylic ISSSSSS heavy.

But you guys that pump weights every day won't have an issue with this. That's more of a girlyman complaint.

Unfortunately I'm a girlyman.

I traded it away.

But soundwise... its a guitar. It makes guitar sounds. What more were you looking for?

• Members

I had a Dan Armstrong for a while. It was fairly mediocre. Didn't sound terrible, but didn't have any distinguishing tonal characteristics. Without any wood, it just sorta sounded like the one pickup it had. (It was cool that the pickup popped right in/out, but I could never find any other pickups for it.)

I traded the thing because I got bored with the one-dimensional sound, and it would never stay in tune. It did look cool as hell, though...

• 8 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived