Are Fender Highway 1 strat pickups any good?

Bert-O-325

• Members

Are the pickups from a Fender Highway 1 strat any good? I mean, as replacements for those I'd have in a very inexpensive import strat-clone that I'm fixing up.

I found these on ebay, that I might be able to get for less than $50

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330304731125

or would I be better served with something like these Texas Mex?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310117884265

I'm not into lots of distortion, mostly I just use some light echo and some light compression to play blues-ish (badly, I might add) - although sometimes I delve into effects pedal madness.

• Members

I've had my Highway 1 strat as my main guitar for like a year or so now and I haven't hated them enough to do anything about. They're pretty sweet to my ears

Definitely will do for what you're looking for if you can get them cheap, but certainly not worth 100 or so dollars.

at that price range I'd go GFS

• Members

The HWY1 pickups are alright. There are people on this forum who love those things. They are pretty good. The guy has a buy it now price of $100 though, and that is stupid! Here is a link to pickersparts.com and they have the entire HWY1 one loaded pickguard for $120 if you're interested.

http://www.pickersparts.com/khxc/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=pwpg_fender_usahwy1

They have a whole lot of other parts at good prices you may want to check out on that website.

• Members

I don't think they were terrible by any stretch, but not worth $100. For about the same price (or MUCH less if you're lucky) you can get the 57/62s which are VERY nice for cleans but maybe not the best for gain. Or for just a bit more, you can get CS69s which are absolutely outstanding.

If you only have $100, I personally would probably would try my chances with a set of GFS.

• Members

Depends on what kind of music you play and what tone you're going for. If you want a more overdriven blues tone the HWY-1 pickups will work. If you want a vintage '50s or '60s tone forget about it as they're too hot.

Below are the measurements taken from my 2006 HWY-1 set. They do use Alnico III magnets to offset some of those extra winds.

Bridge: 11.58k

Mid: 11.73k

Neck: 10.61k

I have no experience with the Tex Mex pups so I cannot comment.

• Members

Depends on what kind of music you play and what tone you're going for. If you want a more overdriven blues tone the HWY-1 pickups will work. If you want a vintage '50s or '60s tone forget about it as they're too hot.

Below are the measurements taken from my 2006 HWY-1 set. They do use Alnico III magnets to offset some of those extra winds.

Bridge: 11.58k

Mid: 11.73k

Neck: 10.61k

I have no experience with the Tex Mex pups so I cannot comment.

That's really hot wound! I wonder how much it hums?

• Members

I just installed Highway One pickups into the neck and mid positions of my MIM Stratocaster. They're overall good pickups. I don't find them to be too much of anything---not too strong, not too weak, not to muddy, not too clear. They're good, esp in the neck/mid combo.

They are surprisingly not very FAT. Or maybe I just really like humbuckers :)

• Members

Just so the OP is aware, the 2005 and earlier Highway Ones have different pickups from the 2006 and later.

Yep, that's what I was going to say. 05 and earlier weren't has hot, and the mid wasn't RW/RP. I'm a fan of the new Hwy pickups, but I wouldn't pay more than $20 per pickup.

• Members

My highway one strat has one major problem: when I go to the bridge humbucker, damn is that thing WAY louder than the single coils. The stock pick-ups are actually pretty nice. Fairly hot, but not too powerful.

Check your string to p/u clearances. Sounds like the HB is too close or the SC's are too far away.

• Members

Just so the OP is aware, the 2005 and earlier Highway Ones have different pickups from the 2006 and later.

Hey - thanks for that info! So the one guy has 2002's, so that would be different than yours, eh?

No rw/rp middle? hm. I do tend more towards a "cleaner" (vintage?) sound rather than a distorted sound. Guess I'll let the Hwy 1 set go.

So, what GFS for a clean, "vintage-ey" sound, then? I'm not looking for uber noiseless, either. Most people will probably think my playing is noise anyway (I'm just not very good ;) )

BIG THANKS to EVERYBODY for the help!

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Just a couple things to ponder. Depends on which Highway One Pickups. The Pre-2006 Highway One pickups are more of a vintage sound "50's-60's". After 2006 they are Hotter catering slightly to a Hard Rock Sound, and a little less of the Classic Fender Vintage sound.

2005 Fender introduced the Greasebucket circuitry on Highway one which keeps the tone clean as you minimize the tone. 2005 is the only year with this sweet spot. Vintage Fender Sound with added Tone cleanup.

If you have a 2005 H1, you will get a cleaner Vintage sound, but the Greasebucket Circuit is not in the actual pickup, so it can be a little deceiving when judging the pickups.

IMHO, I believe the 2005 H1 is the best cleanest Vintage sound for H1 guitars. If you like Rock, go for the 2006> models.

• Members

Hi, vinnie!

Lots of necrothreads. People get annoyed and assume it's another take on spam, since we'll get 3 necrothreads, all from different posters, all on the same gear, all on the same day. Orsometimes it's the same poster. But you see why some people get annoyed.

Archived