I need some Rondo Music advice!

xrleroyx

• Members

I'm buying a proper guitar for my woman this Christmas. I was fixing her computer and found a ton of tabs that she was trying to learn on her acoustic. Her guitar is irreparible, and not conducive to learning, so I'm buying her a new one.

She's left handed which narrows my options a bit, so I'm ordering form Rondo since it's cheap and I know you guys have success with their models.

I could buy an SX Liquid in sonic blue with a case locally for $150,

Or one of these:

http://www.rondomusic.com/tl100mn2tsleft.html

http://www.rondomusic.com/furrianhmn3tsleft.html

What should I do? Will those teles be fairly nice for a beginner? 

How's the neck on these? I feel like with the semi-hollow being an ash body it looks pretty high quality. If anything, I'd maybe strip the neck to get rid of that plastic feel. She does have small hands.

• Members

Is your GF interested in playing electric guitar?  Some people are not interested in electric.  The music they like is acoustic.

That being said, I'd go for the tele models without question.

Keep in mind a good setup will be required and possibly some fret work.  Par for the course really.

Everything else on those guitars should be adequate.  A tele is ideal for a beginner.

What about this one? Alder body.  Has a string through body and $10 cheaper: http://www.rondomusic.com/furrianmnlh3ts.htmlhttp://

Also many strats for same price. Just screw down the bridge and put the whammy bar in your sock drawer.  For a beginner strats are very versatile and simple.

• Members

If you are cool with rondo that is cool. But I would suggest not buying her any guitar, quality wise, that you wouldn't buy for yourself. Not saying anything bad about Rondo, and if you are fine with that then cool.

But you are the one thst plays, you are the one thst hangs out on guitar forums so you are the one she's counting on or wilto steer her in the right direction. If Rondo if a 50.00 Rondo guitar is something you would happily spend your own money in for yourself then cool, but if not, then it shouldnt be good enough for her either, even if she's just beginning.

Something to keep in mind.

• Members

I saw where you bought her the thinline...That's good, should be lighter weight.

I was going to add definitely something lighter weight for the female.

I have lifted weights regularly since I was 16.......and I can't hack a guitar over 7lbs....wouldn't expect my 130lbs wife to either.

• Members

DaveAronow wrote:

If you are cool with rondo that is cool. But I would suggest not buying her any guitar, quality wise, that you wouldn't buy for yourself. Not saying anything bad about Rondo, and if you are fine with that then cool.

But you are the one thst plays, you are the one thst hangs out on guitar forums so you are the one she's counting on or wilto steer her in the right direction. If Rondo if a 50.00 Rondo guitar is something you would happily spend your own money in for yourself then cool, but if not, then it shouldnt be good enough for her either, even if she's just beginning.

Something to keep in mind.

Also if she quits after 3 months you can keep the guitar so get something you want for yourself!

:smiley-music039:

• Members

Would you consider the line a decent option for someone looking for a cheap guitar to add some variety, learn more about set up, and possibly do some mods in the future?

I don't mind doing a set up. Being playable for at home practice is really the only requirement besides being cheap. I've been looking at Squier Affinities on MF, but the SX is considerably cheaper. I could basically get strat and tele copies for the same price. And I have 2 small boys who make it a fair bet anything purchased will be abused.

• Members

drmoniker wrote:

Would you consider the line a decent option for someone looking for a cheap guitar to add some variety, learn more about set up, and possibly do some mods in the future?

I don't mind doing a set up. Being playable for at home practice is really the only requirement besides being cheap. I've been looking at Squier Affinities on MF, but the SX is considerably cheaper. I could basically get strat and tele copies for the same price. And I have 2 small boys who make it a fair bet anything purchased will be abused.

Oh hell yes! There are good bones in those beasties. And parts can be had resonably cheap on feebay. As I said, for what it is,. it's fantastic, and comparable to guitars 2 or 3 times it's price.

I took it out on a little jam the other night, and my friend, who has about 6 teles, (One from when he first started playing back in 61. It's a 56.) and a few other guitars which I did the setups and rebuilds on, thougt it was so good with the minimum setup I did to it, ordered one that night. And ordered the same Wilkenson compensated tele bridge I just ordered for it. He thought the radius was a bit modern for it, but liked it. For the money, it can't be beat.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Do you think it's worth the extra cash to get a Douglas with normal string through holes? I like the sx furrians, but I'm worried about the mod options with the staggered string holes and mini pick up in the neck position. I'm pretty adventurous with working on things, but I'm not thrilled with the idea of redrilling holes or opening up a pick up hole.

• Members

Looks like gT you're both set but i can add for future buyers:

I have the burl douglas thinline. It was better out of the box than my few sx'. Mine was the prettiest body mated to the plainest neck but flawless build. I also have the sx contoured ash tele. It needed the nut lowered. Otherwise flawless. Beautiful wood and very flamey neck.

That said i feel they are tlele in mostly look. The pickups are less twangy , flatter chunkier neck. More a john 5 tele.

The TL is fairly heavy for being hollow. Thick poly on the necks. Used to hate that but now i can apprciate it.

Compared to squiers:

Squiers have thinner necks especially the affinity. More radius so it feels more tele and the right headstock. Probably better for small hands and tele style playing.

I think squiers are more setup for beginners out the box.

So nether better but distictly different and both great and great deals when compared to the hude avalibility of used squiers.

Archived