Help! Dimebucker installation FROM HELL...

Timfever

• Members

So I bought a Dimebucker on eBay...I haven't installed a pickup before but, after doing certain mods to pedals recently, I'm not exactly clueless with this stuff anymore. 

Oh, except for that I totally didn't notice from the pics that the guy had cut the wires in it so that they're about 4" long...

Anyhow, I made extensions and all of that, problem solved...I think...

I have everything done to the cursed SD Diagram and instructions' specs, yet that puppy is cranking out about 50% output as as it should (the 490R in the neck position is about 2x louder...). I got the Volt-Ohm tester out and everything looks good (I've tested resistance with the Green and Black wires, as well as with the output tip and the other end of an inserted cable...I get 15.5-16.25K), so I'm just clueless...

All I know is that if I HAVE TO TAKE OFF THIS SLICK NEW MIRROR PICKGUARD I JUST BOUGHT ONE MORE FRIGGIN' TIME... 

Anybody have any tips or guidance for moi? Would be much appreciated...

• Members

So I just did some more multimeter tests on my SG with the fussy Dimebucker, and first off, the stock neck pickup (a Gibson 490R) pushes out 9.46K. The DC Resistance of the Dimebucker is 15.54 (A few times it's been a little higher, up to or over 16K), and when I checked the coils [or at least did a test that I read tested the coils...], it came out as follows: 

Black wire and white wire: 8.40K 

Red wire and green wire: 8.29K 

I was thinking that all of this soldering, desoldering and resoldering might have fried my volume pot, but I tested that too and it appears to be working fine--or at least it functions fine. At full volume it was a little over 100K I think and rolling the knob back gradually dropped it to .203 or something (btw, if anyone has a good way to test a volume pot with a multimeter, please please please share it with me--I scowered the web for one and either I put something in wrong or there aren't a lot of ways to test a volume pot without taking your guitar apart or something). 

• Members

Okay.... Don't know if you are planning any coil tapping or anything like that, but the red and white wires should be wired together, and green should be ground, black should be hot. IF there is a phase reverse, ie: when the two pickups are selected, it sounds thin and nasaly, reverse the black and green.

Archived