Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Restoration Project- HCEG Black Top!

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goddammmmmitttt. I'm too late.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by docjeffrey
      View Post

I haven't read all of the responses, but that guitar is worthy of a good craftsman like you'd find through Dan Erlewine, George Gruhn, or Elderly. The original finish should be preserved (if that's the original) at all costs. Don't let someone **************** it up with a rattle can or a ****************ty half assed amateurish job. It may have more holes than it takes to fill the Albert Hall, but it's still an old Les Paul made in Kalamazoo with old wood--probably Honduran Mahogany and Michigan Maple--possibly Brazilian Rosewood.

Try to preserve as much as you can. Just say no to a complete refin.

Sorry to be a dick.

I think you're a little late.
      MY GUITARS

Comment

View Post

I haven't read all of the responses, but that guitar is worthy of a good craftsman like you'd find through Dan Erlewine, George Gruhn, or Elderly. The original finish should be preserved (if that's the original) at all costs. Don't let someone **************** it up with a rattle can or a ****************ty half assed amateurish job. It may have more holes than it takes to fill the Albert Hall, but it's still an old Les Paul made in Kalamazoo with old wood--probably Honduran Mahogany and Michigan Maple--possibly Brazilian Rosewood.

Sorry to be a dick.

You should have read the entire thread first.

Good Craftsman? Check.

No rattle cans? Check.

The guitar will end up being something the owner actually likes. It isn't really worth much in it's current state and most likely would not be worth any more if restored to 100% stock condition than it will be when done in the black top configuration.

It's just a guitar ya know.
        My Guitars

PRS Singlecut
        PRS CE24 w/ piezo
        Floyd LP
        Fender Stratocaster
        Lucero classical
        Yamaha FG312 12 string

Comment

View Post

Sorry to be a dick.

I pretty much agree. This is also why I can't stand it when people take old Firebirds and turn them into Camaros, or close enough with a Chevy motor. Oh well.
          ------------------------------------------
          The quartersawn has been pulled for you....

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by milosch
            View Post

I pretty much agree. This is also why I can't stand it when people take old Firebirds and turn them into Camaros, or close enough with a Chevy motor. Oh well.

This isn't the same thing, as soon as someone put a Kahler on there it hit it's classic all original value and it aint never comin back from that, and to be honest even if it is an early Norlin Deluxe ie pre panckake it's value still ain't that high, and if it's anywhere in the 73-84 region it's still only worth about 2k at most, these are not collectors guitars, but when it's finished by a craftsman as good as Meandi, it'll certainly look a million dollars.

If I were some of you guys I'd be looking for my favourite dressing for humble pie, cause you sure as **************** are gonna be eatin lots of it
            Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

• I've encountered this debate when I was doing cars a couple of times.

One guy wants his 32 coupe restored as accurately as possible, feels that anything less is heresy & usually trys to proselyte others to his point of view .

Another wants to run his fenderless, chop the top, independant suspension, V8 power & air conditioning & feels that the other guy should lighten up & get a life.

I've built them both ways, with my own criteria being only that the work was well done & that the owner was satisfied with the results.

That's my approach to this project, as well.

I'll leave the "sacred object" debate to others, because it's as subjective as what kind of music one likes to listen to or play.
              don;t always remember this so...best to all!
              education...how ya gonna know what to do...'less ya know what to do
              people will not always believe what you say
              but they have no choice but to believe what you do
              studied as a science...practiced as an art

my build threads:

archtop #1 mahogany/maccasar ebony
              archtop #2 maple/brazilian ebony
              GreatDanes blacktop Les Paul
              purpleheart/maple neck-through

Comment

• I have been following this since the beginning- I am so glad the finish is coming off as well as it is... that is going to be sweet!

I know you probably did not need further confirmation, but that is definitely a maple neck, which is only going to make it look even better with the refin.

I don't think I have ever been as excited about a thread... this is going to ROCK!
                HCEG PLATINUM TRADER

Great transactions with Yo_Squig, DenverDave, TehSuperFox, dcooper830, zuzuman (x2), iplayanesp, cavpilot, vangkm, maltomario, Hyphy Panther, jonnyrocket, dcindc, the new guy (x2), blind radish, Woody_in_MN, A-20, kidgloves, justinaz (x2), cerebrix, Lightnin8281, BAXANDALL, Assumer, Firebrand, Cobalt Blue, PunkKitty

Comment

• Meandi, I'm eagerly waiting to see your work.

I've looked at your archtop thread, andknow that delights await.

(we really need a drooling smiley here. Come on, how are we meant to represent the true expression of our feelings in such threads, without a drooling smiley???? This is a ridiculous state of affair.)
                  Ant the Les Paul Lover!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Les Paul Lover
                    View Post

Meandi, I'm eagerly waiting to see your work.

I've looked at your archtop thread, andknow that delights await.

(we really need a drooling smiley here. Come on, how are we meant to represent the true expression of our feelings in such threads, without a drooling smiley???? This is a ridiculous state of affair.)

Thanks for the compliment.

I guess this is about as close to the drool we've got...

my build threads:

Comment

• this thread is amazing...the more pictures the better!!!
                      I am the masculine american man
                      I kill therefore I am.

http://www.myspace.com/harrisquinn

Comment

• Yeah, but does not quite transfer the homerish frozen dreamy stupidity that a drooling smiley would...

Sob.....

Anyhow, enough typing Meandi, now get to work!!!!!!!

Ant the Les Paul Lover!

Comment

View Post

Yeah, but does not quite transfer the homerish frozen dreamy stupidity that a drooling smiley would...

Sob.....

This do? or guess this is more Homerish, but my favourite would be
                          Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

View Post

Yeah, but does not quite transfer the homerish frozen dreamy stupidity that a drooling smiley would...

Sob.....

I am working...the 'puter is a couple of rooms from the shop & prompts me via email when things are happenin here.

my build threads:

Comment

View Post

Sorry to be a dick.

woah, not honduran mahogany AND michigan maple!!

****************s sake, it's a piece a wood and afterwards its gonna look ace, great choices on colour and hardware....and repairer/restorer for that matter!
                              It's spelt Squier.

Check the EuroSpam thread and buy my stuff!

Good deal with Ancient Mariner

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by meandi
                                View Post

I am working...the 'puter is a couple of rooms from the shop & prompts me via email when things are happenin here.

That's OK then! (sorry, I do like to throw abusive comments every now and then....)

Quote Originally Posted by Ratae Coritanorum
                                View Post

This do? or guess this is more Homerish, but my favourite would be

Yeap that last 2 are what I'm talking about!!!!!
                                Ant the Les Paul Lover!

Comment

Working...
                                X