Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Restoration Project- HCEG Black Top!

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just ran the fedex tracking number.

It's on the vehicle for delivery...
    don;t always remember this so...best to all!
    education...how ya gonna know what to do...'less ya know what to do
    people will not always believe what you say
    but they have no choice but to believe what you do
    studied as a science...practiced as an art

my build threads:

archtop #1 mahogany/maccasar ebony
    archtop #2 maple/brazilian ebony
    GreatDanes blacktop Les Paul
    purpleheart/maple neck-through

Comment

• Ok, GreatDane, you can breathe that sigh of relief...it arrived in one piece.

Some new Gibson parts...bridge, tailpiece, switch & switch collar + the rest of the components...even sent me a pick for my collection.

A very nice SKB case.

Looks like we're good to go...nothing to do now, but to do it!

my build threads:

Comment

• Live Rig:
        Gretsch Tenny and Gibson SG Classic -> Some neat effects -> Peavey Classic 50 410 and/or Marshall JTM60 310
        Need an exceptionally cheap sound guy in the general Western Pennsylvania area? PM Me.
        Do you like Free Candy? Yeah? Then like my band!
        Had a good trade/transaction/deal? Click here to tell HCEG about it!
        Proud to be 1st Lieutenant in the SG Army Special Forces

Comment

• Hrmmm... subscribed.
          Thicker Than Water

Gear:
          - Squier Classic Vibe '50s Telecaster
          - Sears Silvertone 4843 One Fifteen

Originally Posted by JoshuaTSP

To understand Metallica, you must become Metallica.

Thus a **** you must grow.

Comment

• I'm really hoping that wine red comes off the neck and back easily, but the pessimist in me says it's not likely.

That black on natural look is phenomenal.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by rhynster
              View Post

I'm really hoping that wine red comes off the neck and back easily, but the pessimist in me says it's not likely.

That black on natural look is phenomenal.

There was some speculation earlier in this thread as to whether or not this guitar was finished with dyes or pigmented color coats.

So, one of the first things I did was to strip a couple of spots to satisfy my own curiosity on this matter.

Both the neck & the body stripped clean in a snap...so it was not dye.

McFadden supplies grain fillers that are tinted to accomodate different woods...there is a substrate under the red that is not wood, yet is the same color as the wood...Gibson uses McFadden products (according to McFaddens web page).

The sanding dust smells like lacquer vs poly...there is a definative difference between the smell of the two materials.

So my hypothesis is that this is a lacquer finished guitar with a mahogany colored grain filler under the color coat.

Also, there was some question, based on a Wickipedia article supplied by Great Dane, as to whether or not this guitar has a maple neck.

The neck on this guitar is a closed grain wood with no open pores as on the body.

It is a very hard white wood that I cannot dent with the ole thumbnail hardness test, making me think that this is one of the maple necked instruments refered to in that article.

my build threads:

Comment

• Wow, idunno if I've ever been this stoked about a thread before!

Comment

• awesome, meandi~ i was hoping i was right about the neck being maple. this means that this guitar could in fact be one of the last of the maple necked deluxes they made. sweet!

i am SO happy to see that she'll clean up nice. i was admittedly a little worried. do you have everything you need (minus a few screws)? Bryan from BG should have the pickups done and out in a couple weeks. is there anything else she needs?

oh, and the pick is yours to add to the collection
                  INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums

My Guitars | ... but can he play? | Currently a Gold Trader +6

Use extreme caution when attempting to interact or transact with IndianScout.

Comment

• Originally Posted by GordonFreeman

Seriously now, are you all so IQ challenged that in 50+ pages no one yet stepped in to get it over and move on? Wow.
                    If you STILL laugh at more poncho/**************** sauce posts, you must be medically brain dead. And by that I mean very, very stupid.

Gear

Gibson SG Classic
                    Fender HWY 1 Strat
                    Epi G400
                    Arbor AP230
                    Squier Affinity Strat
                    Yamaha RGX120D
                    Squier CV Tele
                    Jackson Dinky Pro
                    '93 Hamer Special FM

Yamaha FG700S

Vox AD50VT
                    '76 Bassman 100
                    Peavey Classic 100
                    60s Vox Student

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane
                      View Post

awesome, meandi~ i was hoping i was right about the neck being maple. this means that this guitar could in fact be one of the last of the maple necked deluxes they made. sweet!

i am SO happy to see that she'll clean up nice. i was admittedly a little worried. do you have everything you need (minus a few screws)? Bryan from BG should have the pickups done and out in a couple weeks. is there anything else she needs?

oh, and the pick is yours to add to the collection

Based on the way the grain looks, I believe that it's a quarter-sawn neck.

The photo below is of a neck I built for a Jackson body I have...which I know is quartered...grain lines look the same...will know more once I get it completely stripped.

I believe that everything is here.

Still don't have the compressor or paint materials in hand, but that is in the works.

Can always use another pick...I've only got a hundred or so...

my build threads:

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by meandi
                        View Post

Definitely maple.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by rhynster
                          View Post

Definitely maple.

Thanks.

That's what I thought...good to have a confirmation.

my build threads:

Comment

• wow. . . . . just. . . . . . speechless. . . . i cant wait to see how this unfolds!

i have 2K posts and ive never wanted to subcribe to any thread. . . . . until now. . . so. . . how the HELL do i do this?
                            sons of SUNN

pedlolboard
                            skullytone fx living dead drive > russian spi sanford and sonny bluebeard (((in triphonic))) Red*bear mk120 > 68 sunn 200s > ampeg v2 > your earpussies

good tranny shared with Severed Pumpkin MakuseruSukotto theAntihero X2 Dr. Doom Shamdog Bobby D Noise. . . Ancient X2

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by NITROHOLIC
                              View Post

i have 2K posts and ive never wanted to subcribe to any thread. . . . . until now. . . so. . . how the HELL do i do this?

Look for "Thread Tools" near the top of the page, click, select "subscribe to thread" from the drop down menu.
                              "Es wäre schlecht, wenn ein Panzerfahrer bekifft durch die Gegend fährt."

Bei einem Tauchgang wurde Dieter von einem Hai attackiert: "Habe ihm volle Kanone mit aller Kraft in die Fresse getreten!"

Comment

• I haven't read all of the responses, but that guitar is worthy of a good craftsman like you'd find through Dan Erlewine, George Gruhn, or Elderly. The original finish should be preserved (if that's the original) at all costs. Don't let someone **************** it up with a rattle can or a ****************ty half assed amateurish job. It may have more holes than it takes to fill the Albert Hall, but it's still an old Les Paul made in Kalamazoo with old wood--probably Honduran Mahogany and Michigan Maple--possibly Brazilian Rosewood.

Try to preserve as much as you can. Just say no to a complete refin.

Sorry to be a dick.

Comment

Working...
                                X