Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Restoration Project- HCEG Black Top!

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by 9-Pin-Phoenix
    View Post

Meandi doing the whole thing? That's great news!

After following the archtop thread, I can't wait to see what I'll learn with this project!

it is great news! i'm hoping we're all going to see a pretty amazing thread unfold. it's not everyday we get to see a nice little Gibson LP on the HCForum workbench. according to Fedex, she should get to meandi's on thursday.
    INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums

My Guitars | ... but can he play? | Currently a Gold Trader +6

Use extreme caution when attempting to interact or transact with IndianScout.

Comment

by the way, i asked Frets to change the thread title now that the project is a go. Thank you, Frets!
      INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane
        View Post

by the way, i asked Frets to change the thread title now that the project is a go. Thank you, Frets!

Good idea.

This way the continuity of the conversation to date flows right in to the actual work on the guitar.
        don;t always remember this so...best to all!
        education...how ya gonna know what to do...'less ya know what to do
        people will not always believe what you say
        but they have no choice but to believe what you do
        studied as a science...practiced as an art

my build threads:

archtop #1 mahogany/maccasar ebony
        archtop #2 maple/brazilian ebony
        GreatDanes blacktop Les Paul
        purpleheart/maple neck-through

Comment

Oh yeah!

Originally Posted by wedgehed II

Instead of searching for intelligent life in the universe, NASA should send a probe to this thread.

Comment

so this is going to be the build thread? or will there be a new one?...WHERE DO I SUBSCRIBE!!!???!!!???
            I am the masculine american man
            I kill therefore I am.

http://www.myspace.com/harrisquinn

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by harrisbquinn
              View Post

so this is going to be the build thread? or will there be a new one?...WHERE DO I SUBSCRIBE!!!???!!!???

Since GreatDane had the title of this thread changed, I"ll be posting to this one.

This way, everything leading up to the build will be there along with the photos of & text reguarding the actual work.

Welcome aboard, it's going to be an exciting time!

my build threads:

Comment

This is going to be great.

I always dream of finding an old distressed LP and restoring it to a nice looking players piece.

Can't wait to see the work get started.
                Some original songs...

And some cover tunes...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Prages
                  View Post

This is going to be great.

I always dream of finding an old distressed LP and restoring it to a nice looking players piece.

Can't wait to see the work get started.

this has been my dream as well, and it's looking like my dream is going to be reality. i've had this "husk" sitting around for a number of years; i picked it up for a little bit of cash thinking that one day i'd be able to help bring her back to her former glory. it's been a long time coming, but i think this girl is about to get her day once again.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by harrisbquinn
                    View Post

like meandi indicated~ this will be where it all goes down. i liked the idea of keeping the whole thing from beginning to end captured in this one thread. subscribe away, and i hope others out there will be able to follow along and enjoy the ride!

Comment

• Subbed. I can't wait to see this unfold.

Comment

• I love the black top idea too. Can't wait to see this progress.

Comment

• yes, i think the black top will be classy as heck. and with creme P90s, look out...

Comment

• In anticiipation of GreatDanes guitar arriving tomorrow, I'm in the process of lining up my materials & a couple of other items needed for the job.

When I retired from the car thing I was working a 10,000 sq ft shop which was equiped with two 220 volt two stage compressors each on a 60 gallon tank, linked for pressure balance & wired to run together...lots of air available.

Neither of those are now in my possession.

So I've chosen a smaller portable 4 3/4hp single stage unit which is on a 25 gallon tank and provides about 6 cfm of air.

I'll be spraying with hvlp guns that require much less capacity than what will be available.

I'll also need some hoses & a regulator/moisture seperator.

It's not like I'm buying all this just for this project...my maple archtop that is currently in the works is slated to be a blond & have a nitro finish.

So I'm just getting things a little more quickly than I would have otherwise.

The two brands of nitro that I'm aware of are Behlen stringed instrument lacquer & Lawrence McFadden.

The McFadden is a bit more pricy but is my choice.

The list of builders who use McFadden is sort of like a whos who in the industry, and includes...

Andersen, Benedetto, Breedlove, Collings, Fender, Gibson, Martin, Taylor, etc.

I will also be using Color Tone liquid pigments for lacquer to add to clear for the black on the top of the guitar.

Color Tone Liquid Stain will be used to tint the base coat clears, to achieve the desired effect, on the rest of the guitar.

This will be something that will be sprayed on some sample pieces of mahogany for GreatDanes approval before applying to the guitar.

That's my up-date for today.

It'll get much busier after the guitar is actually in the shop & under way.

my build threads:

Comment

• Great thread and a great idea for a project.

The color combo looks stunning. I may have to do something similar in the future.
                              My Guitars

PRS Singlecut
                              PRS CE24 w/ piezo
                              Floyd LP
                              Fender Stratocaster
                              Lucero classical
                              Yamaha FG312 12 string

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by meandi
                                View Post

In anticiipation of GreatDanes guitar arriving tomorrow, I'm in the process of lining up my materials & a couple of other items needed for the job.

When I retired from the car thing I was working a 10,000 sq ft shop which was equiped with two 220 volt two stage compressors each on a 60 gallon tank, linked for pressure balance & wired to run together...lots of air available.

Neither of those are now in my possession.

So I've chosen a smaller portable 4 3/4hp single stage unit which is on a 25 gallon tank and provides about 6 cfm of air.

I'll be spraying with hvlp guns that require much less capacity than what will be available.

I'll also need some hoses & a regulator/moisture seperator.

It's not like I'm buying all this just for this project...my maple archtop that is currently in the works is slated to be a blond & have a nitro finish.

So I'm just getting things a little more quickly than I would have otherwise.

The two brands of nitro that I'm aware of are Behlen stringed instrument lacquer & Lawrence McFadden.

The McFadden is a bit more pricy but is my choice.

The list of builders who use McFadden is sort of like a whos who in the industry, and includes...

Andersen, Benedetto, Breedlove, Collings, Fender, Gibson, Martin, Taylor, etc.

I will also be using Color Tone liquid pigments for lacquer to add to clear for the black on the top of the guitar.

Color Tone Liquid Stain will be used to tint the base coat clears, to achieve the desired effect, on the rest of the guitar.

This will be something that will be sprayed on some sample pieces of mahogany for GreatDanes approval before applying to the guitar.

That's my up-date for today.

It'll get much busier after the guitar is actually in the shop & under way.

why is this giving me shivers? seriously, this is giving me goosebumps. awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X