Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Restoration Project- HCEG Black Top!

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard back from meandi~ if no one will step in to do the whole thing (repair and finish work), then he'd be willing to do the repair work, but doesn't have the facilities for finish work. anyone with finishing skills want to take in the guitar from Meandi and do the "black top" full finish work?
    INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums

My Guitars | ... but can he play? | Currently a Gold Trader +6

Use extreme caution when attempting to interact or transact with IndianScout.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by DaveAronow
      View Post

If meandi is too busy, I would love to do it.

wow, Dave~ i never knew you had these types of skills. got any pics of your work to share?
      INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzan1143
        View Post

i'd love to do it, but i have no such facility/gear for spraying good finishes, and im too impatient to work with spray cans, that is entirely possible to fix up really nice though, most local repair guys will bel ike "you cant do that", or "its not worth it", because they are lazy, inexperienced, etc.

thank you for the encouragement. i would love to get her fixed up right~ she deserves it!

Comment

Cool idea. If a member does end up taking on the job maybe they could post up a build thread here.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane
            View Post

I heard back from meandi~ if no one will step in to do the whole thing (repair and finish work), then he'd be willing to do the repair work, but doesn't have the facilities for finish work. anyone with finishing skills want to take in the guitar from Meandi and do the "black top" full finish work?

Yeah, that is pretty much the same exact thing I said last year. However, I'm not taking any work at all till this Fall

Good luck man. i hope you can get this thing done finally
            My various guitar build • repair • maintenance threads

My Custom Guitar page

Some of my motion graphics ****************

My metal band, Sulaco
            Download Sulaco, "Build and Burn" for free or pay in any format you want

My instrumental Prog band, BML

1981 Marshall 2203
            Marshall DSL50

Comment

You thinking all nitro?
              LarryProud Member: Mazi Bee MilitaGreat deals With: messiahofevil, Belt. xtchc1978, baddmann28, Overwhelmed987,OldGtrNovice,Ejendres and SlaveUnitWon't deal with: Bluesmann (counterfeit guitar fan)

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzan1143
                View Post

i'd love to do it, but i have no such facility/gear for spraying good finishes, and im too impatient to work with spray cans, that is entirely possible to fix up really nice though, most local repair guys will bel ike "you cant do that", or "its not worth it", because they are lazy, inexperienced, etc.

The black & clear nitro are both available from Stew Mac in spray cans.

I experimented with them several years ago.

With nitro, or for that matter, acrylic lacquers as well, the flash time of the thinners need to be tailored to temperature & humidity conditions for good flow out & to avoid blush in high temp/humidity conditions.

There-in lies the major problem with trying to do high quality work with spray cans.

Orange peel can always be leveled with wet sanding before proceeding.

Blush occurs primarially due to excessive humidity, especially on warm/hot days, which limits the ability of the atmosphere to accept the solvent vapors of the drying solvents from the sprayed lacquer.

This causes the sprayed paint film to "skin" over too quickly trapping un-evaporated solvents in the substrates of the paint film layer, causing the finish to turn greyish looking...not a pretty sight.

This is an easily controllable situation with slower drying thinners/retarders.

However, these options are simply not available to the painter when using spray can finishes.
                don;t always remember this so...best to all!
                education...how ya gonna know what to do...'less ya know what to do
                people will not always believe what you say
                but they have no choice but to believe what you do
                studied as a science...practiced as an art

my build threads:

archtop #1 mahogany/maccasar ebony
                archtop #2 maple/brazilian ebony
                GreatDanes blacktop Les Paul
                purpleheart/maple neck-through

Comment

I have never seen that blacktop configuration... I think I am in love!

Good luck finding a skilled person to work on it
                  Live Rig:
                  Gretsch Tenny and Gibson SG Classic -> Some neat effects -> Peavey Classic 50 410 and/or Marshall JTM60 310
                  Need an exceptionally cheap sound guy in the general Western Pennsylvania area? PM Me.
                  Do you like Free Candy? Yeah? Then like my band!
                  Had a good trade/transaction/deal? Click here to tell HCEG about it!
                  Proud to be 1st Lieutenant in the SG Army Special Forces

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by larryguitar
                    View Post

You thinking all nitro?

yes, i think it would only be fitting. don't you?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Burningleaves
                      View Post

Cool idea. If a member does end up taking on the job maybe they could post up a build thread here.

that is definitely my goal with this. i was thinking that, with the economy what it is, someone would be taking this on. so far, meandi has offered to do the repair work. just need a capable finisher. anyone, anyone, Bueller?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by atrox
                        View Post

Yeah, that is pretty much the same exact thing I said last year. However, I'm not taking any work at all till this Fall

Good luck man. i hope you can get this thing done finally

hey Atrox! i remember you offering to do the work last year. i wrote back with your input on how to proceed and didn't hear back. not a big deal, because i didn't follow up either (moved on to other things and truthfully getting a little discouraged that no one was around to do the finish work). i figure i'd try this again. can someone with finishing skills and time help?

Comment

thank you for this information, meandi!

Quote Originally Posted by meandi
                          View Post

The black & clear nitro are both available from Stew Mac in spray cans.

I experimented with them several years ago.

With nitro, or for that matter, acrylic lacquers as well, the flash time of the thinners need to be tailored to temperature & humidity conditions for good flow out & to avoid blush in high temp/humidity conditions.

There-in lies the major problem with trying to do high quality work with spray cans.

Orange peel can always be leveled with wet sanding before proceeding.

Blush occurs primarially due to excessive humidity, especially on warm/hot days, which limits the ability of the atmosphere to accept the solvent vapors of the drying solvents from the sprayed lacquer.

This causes the sprayed paint film to "skin" over too quickly trapping un-evaporated solvents in the substrates of the paint film layer, causing the finish to turn greyish looking...not a pretty sight.

This is an easily controllable situation with slower drying thinners/retarders.

However, these options are simply not available to the painter when using spray can finishes.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane
                            View Post

hey Atrox! i remember you offering to do the work last year. i wrote back with your input on how to proceed and didn't hear back. not a big deal, because i didn't follow up either (moved on to other things and truthfully getting a little discouraged that no one was around to do the finish work). i figure i'd try this again. can someone with finishing skills and time help?

My sincerest apologies then. I have a hard time keeping track of the PMs in this place. I didn't mean to blow you off.
                            My various guitar build • repair • maintenance threads

My Custom Guitar page

Some of my motion graphics ****************

My metal band, Sulaco
                            Download Sulaco, "Build and Burn" for free or pay in any format you want

My instrumental Prog band, BML

1981 Marshall 2203
                            Marshall DSL50

Comment

It's official!~ pending a response from meandi with shipping details, we have the repair aspect of this HC Forum Les Paul thread locked down.

meandi has agreed to photograph and document the progress in a new thread; work could begin as soon as June!

any available finishers out there? we're getting closer to having a HC Blacktop.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by atrox
                                View Post

My sincerest apologies then. I have a hard time keeping track of the PMs in this place. I didn't mean to blow you off.

seriously, no worries. like i said; i didn't do much to follow up at the time. one of these days, i'd like to work with you on owning my first Mason tele.

Comment

Working...
                                X