Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Restoration Project- HCEG Black Top!

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• still watching aptly..
    2x4 Telecaster build - | - killer HC search

Comment

• Not to be a jerk, but is this guitar done yet?
      ...end of line.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by waffl3stomp
        View Post

Not to be a jerk, but is this guitar done yet?

patience, grasshopper. patience.
        INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums

My Guitars | ... but can he play? | Currently a Gold Trader +6

Use extreme caution when attempting to interact or transact with IndianScout.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane
          View Post

patience, grasshopper. patience.

This is the most amazing part of this thread.

You have more patience than anyone I know.

I have little to none. I'd have have been climbing the wall waiting for this guitar.

Kudos to you sir.
          My Guitars

PRS Singlecut
          PRS CE24 w/ piezo
          Floyd LP
          Fender Stratocaster
          Lucero classical
          Yamaha FG312 12 string

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by _pete_
            View Post

I have little to none. I'd have have been climbing the wall waiting for this guitar.

Kudos to you sir.

thank you, _pete_! some days are harder than others, no doubt. but the guitar is in very good hands with meandi. and i think his very good hands are at their best when they're not being rushed.
            INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by _pete_
              View Post

Kudos to you sir.

No kidding, I would have had thist thing knocked out months ago.

Of course the thread may have gone in a completely different direction:

That there is a tone crack. It's the secret to the extra lightweight bridge that never needs to the adjusted.
              AxeFXII with these: Axis | BMG RS | Strat |N4| LP Classic | SG Classic | Sheraton | Tele

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by ashasha
                View Post

No kidding, I would have had thist thing knocked out months ago.

Of course the thread may have gone in a completely different direction:

That there is a tone crack. It's the secret to the extra lightweight bridge that never needs to the adjusted.

That picture makes me cringe and cry!
                www.sevensymphoniesmusic.com

Comment

• How is progress, any progress, progress is good
                  Gear:

Deluxe Voodoo modded dual recto
                  mesa standard straight 4x12
                  Marshall 1960 classic
                  gibson les paul custom(surreal td's)
                  57 av ri strat (SD lil59, suhr v60's)
                  Robertson acoustic

Comment

• Must resist the urge to "knock it out", just so I can say it's done.

If I can't do the very best that I'm capable of, within the time constraints & parameters of my personal life, I'd just as soon not mess with it.

It will be finished & will be well done & once finished it will be well done for ever.

I've been very open & honest about my mental approach to my work from the get-go on this.

I can't tollerate looking back & thinking "I could have performed that task better"!

Based on my perceptions of conversations with GreatDane from the beginning of this project, that's the way he wants it done.

Old paint has been stripped from the sides of the elect cavity as shown in above photo.

Question for GD, do you want to retain the inspectors initials in the bottom of the cavity for any historical reason?

The red will be covered by the controll plate.

My inclination is to remove any vestage of the former color, but thought I'd ask.

Screw holes were loose & sloppy, so have been plugged for redrilling.

The gap between the original plastic cover & the body was very irregular.

I'm evening it out all the way around for better visuals.

Like the door gaps on a finely made car.

Upper right corner is still to tight & needs a little more work.

Locater pins hold the cover snugly in the center of the opening as I work.

don;t always remember this so...best to all!
                    education...how ya gonna know what to do...'less ya know what to do
                    people will not always believe what you say
                    but they have no choice but to believe what you do
                    studied as a science...practiced as an art

my build threads:

archtop #1 mahogany/maccasar ebony
                    archtop #2 maple/brazilian ebony
                    GreatDanes blacktop Les Paul
                    purpleheart/maple neck-through

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by meandi
                      View Post

Must resist the urge to "knock it out", just so I can say it's done.

If I can't do the very best that I'm capable of, within the time constraints & parameters of my personal life, I'd just as soon not mess with it.

It will be finished & will be well done & once finished it will be well done for ever.

I've been very open & honest about my mental approach to my work from the get-go on this.

I can't tollerate looking back & thinking "I could have performed that task better"!

Based on my perceptions of conversations with GreatDane from the beginning of this project, that's the way he wants it done.

Old paint has been stripped from the sides of the elect cavity as shown in above photo.

Question for GD, do you want to retain the inspectors initials in the bottom of the cavity for any historical reason?

The red will be covered by the controll plate.

My inclination is to remove any vestage of the former color, but thought I'd ask.

Screw holes were loose & sloppy, so have been plugged for redrilling.

The gap between the original plastic cover & the body was very irregular.

I'm evening it out all the way around for better visuals.

Like the door gaps on a finely made car.

Upper right corner is still to tight & needs a little more work.

Locater pins hold the cover snugly in the center of the opening as I work.

cool photos, meandi. i love these "small detail" pics you include from time to time. it really brings home for me your attention to every aspect of this project.

in response to your question- please keep the control cavity markings and wine red finish as it is (and will be covered by the control plate). i'm a sucker for markings like those, and it will be a nice reminder of what the guitar once was as i'm enjoying the perfection that it will be once finished.

are you still intending to engrave the inside of the control cover? i think it would be a very fitting touch.

Comment

• yay.

does this mean the headstock inlay is finished?
                        2x4 Telecaster build - | - killer HC search

Comment

• The grain on that body is killer! Thanks for the progress pics.
                          Great Deals

Originally Posted by jjpistols

Damn son! Not only are you a master dealer, I also crown you king of the multiquote!

PLATINUM TRADER + 20

M*B*M
                          SG ARMY: pfc, res.
                          Ibanez Art Corps

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane
                            View Post

cool photos, meandi. i love these "small detail" pics you include from time to time. it really brings home for me your attention to every aspect of this project.

in response to your question- please keep the control cavity markings and wine red finish as it is (and will be covered by the control plate). i'm a sucker for markings like those, and it will be a nice reminder of what the guitar once was as i'm enjoying the perfection that it will be once finished.

are you still intending to engrave the inside of the control cover? i think it would be a very fitting touch.

I am still planning the engrave.

If you recall a conversation we had via PM recently, where I mentioned that, when people became aware of the quality of my work, I had become so burried with outside work I couldn't see over it...I mentioned that, other than the interesting projects such as the crushed top repair that I did on the gibson acoustic, I was going to start refering the truss rod tweak type work to the set up guy at the mom & pop store where I work the counter part time.

This has been done.

I have nothing in the house but the blacktop & my own work.

I have nothing on my plate for the next several days but the blacktop.

On second thought, I do have a project in house for my teacher.

But we are trading hour for hour, shop time for lesson time, so It's a 3 or 4 hour per month type situation.

How's that baby?

my build threads:

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by linus

my build threads:

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by newbuilder
                                View Post

The grain on that body is killer! Thanks for the progress pics.

Pleasure!

How've ya been?

my build threads:

Comment

Working...
                                X