Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Restoration Project- HCEG Black Top!

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found this in my online research...talk about delicate work!

don;t always remember this so...best to all!
    education...how ya gonna know what to do...'less ya know what to do
    people will not always believe what you say
    but they have no choice but to believe what you do
    studied as a science...practiced as an art

my build threads:

archtop #1 mahogany/maccasar ebony
    archtop #2 maple/brazilian ebony
    GreatDanes blacktop Les Paul
    purpleheart/maple neck-through

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by meandi
      View Post

... ...so the music will continue.

Yes it will. If we have to revert to pounding on hollow logs, it will!

I'm aware of the guy...most remarkable.

Did a tele, or maby it was a strat, with the same intensity some time back, I believe.

Fender Basses too!

To feed my own muse, I need to be a bit more precise in the execution of the work.

The inlay artists I've studied in preparation for this are very into good fits of the inlay into the wood, & that's what I'm drawn to.

If the execution is as good as, or better than the design, there is synergy.

Steady as she goes.

I've almost mastered the technique of lowering the bit into the overlay material without allowing it to squirm off to one side...

Just like so many other things, there's a "feel" that must be acquired, & I've only got so many screen-printed overlays, so I gotta make the mistakes on scrap.

That's why baseball has bullpens! Ya always need ta warm up first!

Check out Maudie making inlays for Gibson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X50tqJPnEM8

Originally Posted by tedmich

"incoherent thoughts can fly free in the pristine openness of a vacuum, while they are tortured to death in the smooshy morass of your brain...oh man I sat on my cheesburgers..."

HCEG Bluesman

Comment

• Cool vid Jimmy, thanks.

-------------------

A couple of more practice runs & I'll move on to the real thing...probably tomorrow.

Going to experiment with the epoxy & some scraps of pearl to get a feel for it as well.

Tempra paint is water soluble & washes off easily.

my build threads:

Comment

• Not to be a downer, but if it doesn't happen with a certain amount of reasonable effort (say, four or five tries), I say get it close and use black filler. It might not lend itself to delicate work like wood does. ?. Just thinking of your sanity here.
          first smoke, then silence
          your very expensive rig
          dies so gracefully

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by reachjkh
            View Post

Not to be a downer, but if it doesn't happen with a certain amount of reasonable effort (say, four or five tries), I say get it close and use black filler. It might not lend itself to delicate work like wood does. ?. Just thinking of your sanity here.

I am using black epoxy...knowing me, you are aware that part of this is the "integrety" of the work within my own mind & thusly vitally important to me.

Wwwhat sanity?

How was the beach?

-----------------------

I cut a cavity for one of the scraps of pearl & am using it as a trial run as to how the epoxy works when cured.

The piece that I'm testing is the one that got the tuner holes misplaced some time back & has clear coats on it to protect the screen print...thus will give me an accurate indication as to how the process will work/look on the final go.

I'm going to spritz some clear over it when I get it leveled for final analysis

With the original tracing located over the screen print, I use it as a reference for placing the pearl on the overlay...

...& scribe my cut lines.

my build threads:

Comment

• Oh, if it can be done, you will. I just don't like visiting Belleview if I can help it. This project is looking great.

The beach was wonderful. It was a fantastic day. We must move at least an hour closer eventually.

Could you give a brief summary of what tasks are left before pre-assembly? I can't remember what you told me, and I don't feel like re-reading 30 or 40 pages.
              first smoke, then silence
              your very expensive rig
              dies so gracefully

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by reachjkh
                View Post

Oh, if it can be done, you will. I just don't like visiting Belleview if I can help it. This project is looking great.

The beach was wonderful. It was a fantastic day. We must move at least an hour closer eventually.

Could you give a brief summary of what tasks are left before pre-assembly? I can't remember what you told me, and I don't feel like re-reading 30 or 40 pages.

Bellview??, there's got to be a good institution closer to home than that...

Brief summary...a little scraping on the bindings in a few spots...final fit of the wood covers for the electronics/switch cavitys...drill for pickup screws...fine grit prep on the woods...etc, etc.

my build threads:

Comment

View Post

Bellview??, there's got to be a good institution closer to home than that...

Brief summary...a little scraping on the bindings in a few spots...final fit of the wood covers for the electronics/switch cavitys...drill for pickup screws...fine grit prep on the woods...etc, etc.

hey, don't knock Bellview until you've tried it. their fruit cups are to die for. worth the price of admission alone.

why this thread hasn't been stickied is beyond me, but everytime there's a new update it feels like Christmas (minus the influx of relatives). great work, meandi!
                  INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums

My Guitars | ... but can he play? | Currently a Gold Trader +6

Use extreme caution when attempting to interact or transact with IndianScout.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane
                    View Post

hey, don't knock Bellview until you've tried it. their fruit cups are to die for. worth the price of admission alone.

I've heard some nasty rumours about the additives they put in the fruit cups...don't know if I'd care to go on without my internal dialogue & light shows in my head...

why this thread hasn't been stickied is beyond me, but everytime there's a new update it feels like Christmas (minus the influx of relatives). great work, meandi!

Thanks, we're gettin there.

How was your final gig...?...any musical plans?

my build threads:

Comment

View Post

Thanks, we're gettin there.

How was your final gig...?...any musical plans?

the gig went very well, thank you for asking. we raised almost $4K for the family and drew a very full house in the small bar. we had raffle prizes donated from friends at ClearChannel; 4-pack VIP tickets to country and rock artists, as well as local business donations. 100% of the door and 10% of the bar/restaurant went to the family. they were blown away by the support.

my musical plans are to focus on recording again and reaching out to musician friends as necessary or as the mood strikes. if the recordings come out well, then i may attempt to put a band together around the recordings and see where that leads. regardless, i do intend to remain very low-key for at least the next 18 months so i can focus on my family and be the best possible father/husband i can be.
                      INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums

My Guitars | ... but can he play? | Currently a Gold Trader +6

Use extreme caution when attempting to interact or transact with IndianScout.

Comment

• This is the test piece that I set in epoxy previousl.

I purposly routed the cavity oversized in order to determine how visable the line between the epoxy & the overlay itself would be.

Although it has been sanded flat & there is no tactile sensation when I rub a fingertip over it, the line between the two areas is blatenly obvious...this is unacceptable!!

Also the epoxy is thick enough that it trapped air bubbles, that when opened with the sanding, left pits in the finished material.

I'm going to have to cut an extremely precise cavity for the finished product.

The bits I ordered initially were sized very close to the width of the inlay itself, which dictates that the cavity must basically be cut in one pass.

This, I've learned, is the cause of the irregulararities that have been present in previous practice routs.

I'm ordering more bits today in several much smaller sizes, which will allow the router work to be done in multiple passes...there-by allowining me to "sneak up" on the scribed line edges of the cavity & create a snug fit for the inlay to set in.

This is precisely why I prototype everything that I do, when learning a new skill/technique...

When I was building show cars, there were two classes.

What we called "sidewalk" cars that looked good from the sidewalk when they were going down the street, & on the flip side, there was the work that would bear close scrutiny for detail!

my build threads:

Comment

View Post

This is the test piece that I set in epoxy previousl.

I purposly routed the cavity oversized in order to determine how visable the line between the epoxy & the overlay itself would be.

Although it has been sanded flat & there is no tactile sensation when I rub a fingertip over it, the line between the two areas is blatenly obvious...this is unacceptable!!

Also the epoxy is thick enough that it trapped air bubbles, that when opened with the sanding, left pits in the finished material.

I'm going to have to cut an extremely precise cavity for the finished product.

The bits I ordered initially were sized very close to the width of the inlay itself, which dictates that the cavity must basically be cut in one pass.

This, I've learned, is the cause of the irregulararities that have been present in previous practice routs.

I'm ordering more bits today in several much smaller sizes, which will allow the router work to be done in multiple passes...there-by allowining me to "sneak up" on the scribed line edges of the cavity & create a snug fit for the inlay to set in.

This is precisely why I prototype everything that I do, when learning a new skill/technique...

When I was building show cars, there were two classes.

What we called "sidewalk" cars that looked good from the sidewalk when they were going down the street, & on the flip side, there was the work that would bear close scrutiny for detail!

It's too bad my buddy doesn't have their laser engraver anymore. They would have been able to cut the veneer and MOP at 100% precision. i would have had you just send teh materials back to me and I would have gotten it done. Unfortunately, they lost it in a fire.

That said, there are places around, like sign cutting shops that could do this for you, but it may cost you some... it may be worth it...
                          My various guitar build • repair • maintenance threads

My Custom Guitar page

Some of my motion graphics ****************

My metal band, Sulaco
                          Download Sulaco, "Build and Burn" for free or pay in any format you want

My instrumental Prog band, BML

1981 Marshall 2203
                          Marshall DSL50

Comment

• Pretty sure that we have a brand new laser engraver at work. The dude that works in that section is a guitar freak; he has pictures of guitars all over his office even though he doesn't play. I can ask him if he can do this if you want.

And he ain't no shmuck or anything, his entire job is to use all kinds of tools like this and he's meticulous.

I've seen some of the work that this thing does and it's insane!
                            AxeFXII with these: Axis | BMG RS | Strat |N4| LP Classic | SG Classic | Sheraton | Tele

Comment

• gotta respect people who did this stuff in a production capacity before cnc, lasers, dremels..
                              2x4 Telecaster build - | - killer HC search

Comment

• I am using black epoxy

I'd suggest to maybe try using some of the dust from the head plate and either use a thinner viscosity finish cure epoxy or use a little alchohol to thin normal clear. The color match may be better and a thinner viscosity should make it easier to pump / float the bubbles out.

You might also try just wicking thin CA over a bed of dust too.
                                My Name is Tom Pettingill ... I build Hand Crafted Custom Lap Steel Guitars
                                https://www.facebook.com/Pettingill-...3236265069214/
                                http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/nn87/tompettingill

Comment

Working...
                                X