Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Restoration Project- HCEG Black Top!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Restoration Project- HCEG Black Top!

Paging someone here who can do great guitar work (repair/restoration/etc.) and can do finish work. I could go to a few well-respected people around here, or have it shipped out to a few different places, but I'd really like it to be someone on this forum so the work can be shared with all of us here as it progresses. Atrox, AJ, anyone?

The Patient

I have a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe that is in need of some TLC; she was once routed for a Kahler, so there's a 3" route at the bridge and some screw holes in the headstock. It's not the cleanest route I've seen, but it wouldn't be difficult for someone with skills to fit a maple block in there. seal it up correctly and address the screw holes.

Right now, as you can see, the finish is a dull transparent wine red, and it will look pretty bad once the block is inserted into the top. So, I want to have the guitar refinished as a "black top" (think goldtop, but with black instead of gold). Here's what I'm thinking:

what do you think? I think it would really make for a cool thread! This could become the HC Forum Les Paul (so of course it will have P90s )
    INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums

My Guitars | ... but can he play? | Currently a Gold Trader +6

Use extreme caution when attempting to interact or transact with IndianScout.

great idea!

that "black top" is extremely sexy. really elegant.

i also like your location, bonamassa fan?
    Under The Gun
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]
    Gibson Les Paul
    Fender Telecaster 52RI Hotrod

Boss TU-2
    Fulltone OCD
    Dunlop ZW-45 CryBaby FOR SALE
    MXR Carbon Copy FOR SALE
    TC Electronic G-System

Marshall 6100LM FOR SALE
    Marshall 1960B 4x12 FOR SALE

Comment

I have no recommendations but that black/clear is one of my favorite finishes, It looks so classy! I like the "black top" name too, makes perfect sense

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by JOn`
        View Post

great idea!

that "black top" is extremely sexy. really elegant.

i also like your location, bonamassa fan?

i completely agree! and yes, i am.

Quote Originally Posted by LvVein
        View Post

I have no recommendations but that black/clear is one of my favorite finishes, It looks so classy! I like the "black top" name too, makes perfect sense

sweet! i agree, it's one of my top favorite finish combos.
        INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums

Comment

There was a guy who used to do this kinda stuff and post it on this board. His user id is shovelhead. You may want to see if he's still available to do it.
          Gear:
          Breedlove Atlas AD/20SR+
          Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard
          PRS SE Singlecut Trem
          Fender Mustang 1
          Bad Monkey

Comment

i wrote to shovelhead a while back (i do admit, i've done this thread once before just over a year ago) and he wrote back to say that he's not in the business anymore. not taking on any more work like this. so sad...

Comment

Bummer, he did some awesome work.
              Gear:
              Breedlove Atlas AD/20SR+
              PRS SE Singlecut Trem
              Fender Mustang 1
              Bad Monkey

Comment

i just pm'd him again to see if he's changed his mind and will take this on.

Comment

I bitch frequently about gibson, but they do make some nice looking guitars.
                  RIP Saramago

"Guitar playing, as currently understood, has more to do with sports than it does to do with music. It's an Olympic challenge type of situation. The challenges are in the realm of speed, redundancy, choreography, and grooming... clouds of educated gnat-notes." FZ

“If I left you alone in the woods with a hatchet… How long before you could send me an e-mail? JR

Comment

Cris Mirabella in NY. He has a web site;

MirabellaGuitars.com

Roger

Comment

thank you for the tip; i'm really looking for someone who posts here and would be willing to post pics showing the progress so we can all follow along.

i've had this guitar for a few years now, and am not in any rush to get her prettied up. that's why i think this would be a great job for someone to take on. with the economy the way it is, i thought maybe one of our better known guitar building guys/gals would bite.

Comment

How about that one dude meandi? He built a sweet archtop and regularly posts repair work threads:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/....php?t=2012558

guitarzan1143 is builder as well. He just sold one of his personal builds:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/....php?t=2310356

I don't know if he does finishes though.
                        Gear:
                        Breedlove Atlas AD/20SR+
                        PRS SE Singlecut Trem
                        Fender Mustang 1
                        Bad Monkey

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by mdintx
                          View Post

How about that one dude meandi? He built a sweet archtop and regularly posts repair work threads:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/....php?t=2012558

guitarzan1143 is builder as well. He just sold one of his personal builds:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/....php?t=2310356

I don't know if he does finishes though.

good suggestion on meandi. just PM'd him.

Comment

If meandi is too busy, I would love to do it.

"You people keep on raining. I'll still be the parade." - Diamond Dave.

TO HEAR MY COUNTRY BAND: ADRIAN RAY, click THIS or this

Official endorsee of:Breedlove Guitars

http://www.ghsstrings.com

http://www.rocktron.com

http://www.monsterenergy.com/

Myspace.com-Dave Aronow

Comment

i'd love to do it, but i have no such facility/gear for spraying good finishes, and im too impatient to work with spray cans, that is entirely possible to fix up really nice though, most local repair guys will bel ike "you cant do that", or "its not worth it", because they are lazy, inexperienced, etc.
                              HCAF's resident meathead.

Comment

Working...
                              X