I finally finished my album so I thought I'd share a few tunes....

Mark Wein

I'm pretty excited with how it turned out....in addition to the guys I normally play with we also had Scheila Gonzalez from Zappa Plays Zappa, Sean Billlings from the Brian Setzer Orchestra and Tommy Harkenrider from a ton of the West Coast Blues bands like James Harman and Lynwood Slim.  Let me know what you think!

DaleH wrote:

That's sounds great.  I would buy that...Love the bass tone on I'm Gonna Leave.

Thanks Dale! Our bassist Martin is playing a 1974 Jazz bass into an Avalon 737 preamp.  when we mixed we re-amped the track through his 1967 Ampeg B15 and then mixed the tones to get what we wanted.  On Subterrania he was using the engineers' 1971 Jazz bass through the same setup.

The album is currently available on iTunes, CDbaby, Google Play and even on my forums Facebook page.  Amazon and Spotify will be coming soon and "real" CD's probably midweek.  Direct links are being collected here: http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/threads/holy-sh-t-my-album-is-already-for-sale-on-itunes-does-happy-dance.55984/  :)

• 1 month later...

I've got the whole thing streaming on Soundcloud if you guys are interested in hearing more of the album....I put it out at the end of January and then got hung up with business and family stuff.

EDIT: I guess thats the link down there...not used to how some things work on the new software yet.

I know this is a guitar forum but I really like the voice :cool:

Thanks! I'm a guitarist by trade...I went to music school and all that. I ended up needing to sing to keep gigs since the economy started dictating that guitarists who can't since or singers who don't play another instrument are a luxury and spread the gig income too thin. At a certain point I just started singing my own stuff. :)

Wow, you guys sound fantastic. Very good playing/singing and very good production. Really nice. :)

Thanks, Stringbender! I was lucky that my best friend from high school is a great producer/engineer. He's actually done a bunch of albums in the past but works mainly in TV production now.

• Members

It's funny you say that about your production. One of the worst things I see with bands is doing their own production to save money. I hate to say it but I have friends who have recorded albums with decent material, but they're always just missing that 'something' that big name artists have on their albums . Personally I believe it's because they need a producer. It seems like to save a few dollars bands will always do it themselves, but it makes or breaks an album imho.

Please tell your friend he did a beautiful job on your album, and like I said the playing and singing are great too.

Woot, MW postin again and an album, things just took a turn for the good. MW understates when he modestly refers to himself as a guitarist by trade, dude is a Guitar Guru and teacher extraordinaire.

:) I don't know if I'd go that far but thanks for the kind words....

It's funny you say that about your production. One of the worst things I see with bands is doing their own production to save money. I hate to say it but I have friends who have recorded albums with decent material, but they're always just missing that 'something' that big name artists have on their albums . Personally I believe it's because they need a producer. It seems like to save a few dollars bands will always do it themselves, but it makes or breaks an album imho.

Please tell your friend he did a beautiful job on your album, and like I said the playing and singing are great too.

This would not have been the same album with different musicians and either no producer or a different one. Since the album was supposed to be a blues album if I had gotten any of the local blues guys to play on it the songs would have been full of stock licks and sounds. These are the guys from my old rock band and their breadth of experience is pretty wide...and I chose to treat it more like an actual rock album production instead of a blues album too. Here is the "press release' for this thing: http://markweinguitarlessons.com/p/BlackMarketHeartsPR.pdf

Here is the producers rundown of how he recorded everything http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/threads/mark-wein-black-market-hearts-recording-rundown.56420/

And most appropriate for this forum, here is the Guitar and Amp pr0n: http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/threads/the-guitar-amp-pedal-rundown-for-all-of-the-songs-on-my-album-black-market-hearts.56544/

And thanks again :)

Woot, MW postin again and an album, things just took a turn for the good..

Well, since this thread apparently has been flagged by at least two people I probably won't be posting anymore. I'm assuming thats what the

"flag reports" mean in the user controls although it won't show what is being flagged:

c13f55a3ed59f9b6a2a3d74a180865b4.png

• Members

Excellent stuff! Great recordings!

Don't worry about the Asperger's brigade - it's nothing personal for them (how could it be). By the definition of spam this could be interpreted as spam, but it would only be a problem if you mostly used the forum for self-promotion, rather than being a valuable contributor (which you are). They see a rule and it MUST be obeyed - there's no grey, just a rule.

Excellent stuff! Great recordings!

Don't worry about the Asperger's brigade - it's nothing personal for them (how could it be). By the definition of spam this could be interpreted as spam, but it would only be a problem if you mostly used the forum for self-promotion, rather than being a valuable contributor (which you are). They see a rule and it MUST be obeyed - there's no grey, just a rule.

Thanks koiwoi. I'm really proud of the album and want people to hear it. If I really wanted to spam I have a couple of other products that are for sale right now that haven't been mentioned and I did provide the free streaming version of the whole thing.

Whats funny is that my "messages" notification at the top of the page says I now have 6 messages but only one of them is a thread reply notification and the module in the control panel that shows what they could be is FUBAR right now. I'm not sure if I have more flags on my post or if there is something else that I can't see.

Archived