X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimebucker from Hell Part Deux

So I've installed a Dimebucker into an SG Special (keeping the 490R in the neck position), followed all instructions to the letter, and have been stuck with said Dimebucker cranking out MAYBE 50% of it's actual output...I mean the neck pickup is like 2x as loud and the bridge almost sounds like it's coming out of a crappy transistor radio or something. 

I've tried and tested everything on the freakin' thing and found nothing. I used a multitester to test the output of the pickups and it's fine (I got 15.5K and THEN after rewiring it again, I'm getting even a little more than the 16.25 that it's rated as...), so are each of its coils, so is the continuity from the 3 way switch to the output jack...yada yada yada. 

I've gone from just knowing how to use a soldering iron to being pretty jaded, even STRAIGHT UP GRIZZLED, about guitar electronics inside of a week...alas, I still have no idea what's causing this. 

At first the Seymour Duncan instructions and diagrams confused the Hell out of me with all of the various unnamed wires they show going to and from the volume and tone pots, but I've figured out what they're referring to now--EXCEPT FOR the FOLLOWING WIRES that the cursed diagram (in my case it's the one for two humbuckers with two volumes, two tones, and a 3-way switch) shows (and doesn't show): 

1. My SG has a *mystery* wire coming into the cavity that goes to the Neck pup's tone pot--it's got a black coating (some of it was exposed and I fixed that with shrink tubing) and it's made out of some stiff ass wire...maybe it's the "Ground wire from bridge" that the diagram has coming out of nowhere into both tone knobs, maybe it's something else. Anyone happen to know for sure? 
    2. The diagram shows a wire coming from the center terminal/lug/whatever on the 3-way switch that goes to the output jack's tip...while I got a big wire coming from that center of the switch (the lower terminal) that connects to each pot and then goes to the output jack (pretty sure that's the ground that goes to the output jack's sleeve), there's NOTHING connected to the tip (and that thing does not like anything being connected to it, for that matter...). I doubt that this is that significant, but like every part of that guitar right now, it's ANNOYING THE HELL OUT OF ME...

Also, I had to extend the pickup's wires, and while I don't see why the bare wire wouldn't work with a copper wire extension, I have this nagging suspicion that this could be the source of my woes (especially since my issue seems like a ground-related issue). Could that be it? 

Can anyone think of anything that I'm missing? Cause, let's face it, me missing something isn't exactly implausible...

72 Fender Strat (all stock)<br>92 American STD Tele (with Hot Rails in Bridge, classic Tele in Neck, and Coil Splitter)<br>Fender Richie Lee Vaughan Strat<br>Schecter Avenger 7 String<br>93 Gibson SG Special<br>Ali Khalifeh Syrian Oud<br>Peavey 5150 (Block Letter)120 watt Head<br>Marshall JCM 800 4x12 cabinet (angled)<br>Peavey 6505+112<br>Digitetch Whammy V<br>Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner<br>Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble<br>Boss DD-5 Digital Delay<br>Boss TR-2 Tremolo<br>Boss MT-2 Metal Zone<br>Boss BF-2 Flanger<br>MXR Phase 90<br>Dunlop Rotovibe (JH-4S)<br>Vox V847 (with True Bypass, Red Fasel Inductor, and Fulltone Clyde Pot)<br>Dunlop Crybaby<br>

Oh, one more thing: I'm somewhat unclear as to how you're supposed to attach the bare and green wire to the volume pot...do they need to be touching each other or something? 

72 Fender Strat (all stock)<br>92 American STD Tele (with Hot Rails in Bridge, classic Tele in Neck, and Coil Splitter)<br>Fender Richie Lee Vaughan Strat<br>Schecter Avenger 7 String<br>93 Gibson SG Special<br>Ali Khalifeh Syrian Oud<br>Peavey 5150 (Block Letter)120 watt Head<br>Marshall JCM 800 4x12 cabinet (angled)<br>Peavey 6505+112<br>Digitetch Whammy V<br>Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner<br>Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble<br>Boss DD-5 Digital Delay<br>Boss TR-2 Tremolo<br>Boss MT-2 Metal Zone<br>Boss BF-2 Flanger<br>MXR Phase 90<br>Dunlop Rotovibe (JH-4S)<br>Vox V847 (with True Bypass, Red Fasel Inductor, and Fulltone Clyde Pot)<br>Dunlop Crybaby<br>

Comment

• GilmourD
      GilmourD commented
      Editing a comment
      Why the new thread? The other one was just fine.

Anyhow, I'm starting to think you have a bad switch or pot.

• Timfever
      Timfever commented
      Editing a comment

GilmourD wrote:
      Why the new thread? The other one was just fine.

Anyhow, I'm starting to think you have a bad switch or pot.

Oh crap, THERE YOUR POST IS!!! 

Yes, my friend: you were correcto...twas the pot. I'm guessing that I had most likely fried it while initially disconnecting/desoldering things with my crappy, plug in Weller iron, or when I had frantically began to redo everything repeatedly and with the subtlety and finesse of a bear trying to shake a jar of honey off of it's paw...

I think you need a guitar repairman. Spend a few bucks and then examine the result as a learning exercise. Bashing your head against the wall is no way to learn civil engineering.

Comment

• Timfever
      Timfever commented
      Editing a comment

Oh, and one more thing...Progress collage.jpg

Attached Files

• Ratae Corieltauvorum
      Editing a comment

:smiley-bounce013:

I loves me a happy endin, thanks for sharin man

• Timfever
      Timfever commented
      Editing a comment

Ratae Corieltauvorum wrote:

:smiley-bounce013:

I loves me a happy endin, thanks for sharin man

Happy to oblige, and it looks even sicker now with the black transparent speed knobs...I'd take a pic but (long story...) I have a coverless 490R on right now. 

Oh, AND I ACTUALLY FOUND a metal (or chrome plated...whatever the case, it's a heavy little bastard!) pickup selector knob cover for only $7.70 including S&H, and GREAT CAESAR'S GHOST does that stupid little overpriced piece of faux metal make things pop!!!

[and FWIW, all of the alternatives I found tended to be more like $8 + like $3+ for S&H...hey, I've ran an online business and done plenty of little transactions like this, so I get profit margins (and of course, the seller I went through was a freaking dream)--that being said, charging that much for shipping a pea-sized piece of...whatever on earth it's made out of...should get you some sort of Singapore-style shaming/punishment. :smiley-angry018: I mean it came in an a shipping envelope that was maybe a little bit larger than your typical small-sized shipping envelope, and for like 5-10 minutes, I literally COULD NOT FIND IT and thought that they HAD MADE A MISTAKE AND LEFT IT OUT due to how the popcorn stuff and bubble wrap totally dwarfed it...!]

Working...
X