Skynyrd is better than The Allman Brothers

DaveAronow

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hmmm... Well the Freebird solo alone would make me want to rank any band above Skynyrd. That's my least favorite moment in music history.

I do like the Allman Brothers first album (which I have) better than all the Skynyrd stuff I've heard on the radio, for whatever that's worth.

• Members

I remember being very rejecting of both the Allmans and Skynyrd when I was first beginning to get really into music. Every R.E.M. biographer had to be a jerk-off and bash them in some way. I still don't understand why. So, I had a cool seventh grade teacher who told me to buy Eat a Peach, which blew my mind. I was still iffy on Skynyrd, though. My uncle set me straight and told me to buy the first two albums, which I loved. Interestingly enough, I've not met many fans who weren't camo-wearing greatest hits fans.

• Members

Don't get me wrong - I don't think Skynyrd sucks, and I borrowed one of their albums from a friend once and thought it was pretty good. And I even like the first half of Freebird, I just hate the overlong, repetitive solo.

Also, I prefer the Allman album I heard to the Skynyrd album I heard. Not that my uneducated opinion counts much, but there it is.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Don't get me wrong - I don't think Skynyrd sucks, and I borrowed one of their albums from a friend once and thought it was pretty good. And I even like the first half of Freebird, I just hate the overlong, repetitive solo.

Also, I prefer the Allman album I heard to the Skynyrd album I heard. Not that my uneducated opinion counts much, but there it is.

Oh, I agree. Pre-Motorcycle Accident Allmans is fantastic and trumps many bands. Had Duane lived, they may have gained the recognition they deserved alongside bands like Zeppelin. I mean, they were really moving into a newer, cool direction with Eat a Peach.

I can't stand the long "Mountain Jam," though.

• Members

Dave had a similar post a few years back. Being a native Floridian ( which I have recently migrated to), he may be a bit biased?  I like Skynyrd ( Second Helping, One More From the Road and the Steve Gaines inspired Street Survivors my favorites) but The Allmans' first four albums were major influences on me. I'm probably biased as well, I was at the Live at the Fillmore show in NYC WAY back. Elvin Bishop opened followed by The Brothers with Johnny Winter And the headliners.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

I like the jazz influences you hear in Allman Brothers. Very cool.

That's how my seventh-grade teacher sold me, because he called Eat a Peach jazzier than much of their earlier material, but Duane was definitely all over the place. I think he gets more credit for slide playing, but his non-slide playing was phenomenal.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

I like the jazz influences you hear in Allman Brothers. Very cool.

You might want to check out Sea Level. They're kind of a fusion byproduct of a rift in the Allman's mid-70's lineup. Jaimoe is a sick drummer. I'd like to see Skynyrd's drummer try to groove like this.

• Members

No, one life. Subjective suggests opinion.

Things can only be one or the other, facts or opinions.

Examples of opinions would be things like everyone elses statememts in this thread

Examples of facts would be all my statements in this thread

See how that works?

Hope that clears it up for you.

Let me know if I need to explain further. Glad to help..

• Members

I didn't say rap, hiphop, or blues were not"important", idiot.

I just said I'm not a big fan of them. Don't go out of my way to listen to them, and when I do, I don't listen for very long before I find something I prefer. Has nothing to do with "important". ::eyeroll::

• Members

DaveAronow wrote:

Thank, Ill take that as a compliment, seing how as, other than Latka Gravis, I never found Andy Kaufman even remotely witty or humorous.

I think the criteria for finding Kaufman humorous is that you read books on a semi-regular basis. We call it "pumping iron for the mind."

Archived