Posting the Same Gear Photos for 5+ Years - Cool or Boring?

BG76

• Members

I try to make a concious effort to take newer pics of my guitars if it's been a while since I have taken photos of them. 

There seems to be a trend on many forums to use the exact same photos over and over for what seems like forever. IMHO, this is really boring and I find it actually detracts from the thread. For example, of someone posts a thread called 'Show Your Jazzmaster' and you see a few pictures of guitars you have never seen and then there will be a whole page or two of the same old boring shots. This kind of makes me scroll through and it bores the crap out of me.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing pictures of cool guitars, but at what point does posting the exact same pics of the exact same guitars become annoying? At the very least maybe people could update the angle of the pic or take some different pics every 3 years or so, would this be too much to ask?

I was wondering if I was the only one, or if others have tired of this as well. It's not unique to HCEG, but I find it equally boring on other forums. Anyone else sick of this?

Thoughts?

And in the spirit of my post, here is a new pic of my '55 Strat:

1511118_10202913900957442_1463461571_n.j

• Members

Depends on the quality of the pics, I think. Some photos will last the test of time. Many others won't. I like when care is taken to photograph guitars well. The quick Polaroid type snaps get old fast.

I revisit my goldtop every now and then and take some new shots of it. It's a little frustrating, though, because it's hard to prevent a greenish tinge from showing up in the shots. Lighting is tricky for that one.

• Members

I agree with your sentiment and am generally conflicted about posting an "old" pic.  On the other hand, I've never had a decent camera, so it takes a good deal of effort to snap a "passable" photo.  I think the biggest problem with old pictures is that digital photo technology has moved so quickly.  What used to be considered "high-resolution" five years ago appears "grainy" today ...

• Members

5Strings2Many,

Not really. If I wanted to do that I would make a thread called 'Post Your 50s Strat' or something. Then I would see every Squier, Fender, Warmoth Strat picture we all have been subjected to seeing for the past x number of years along with some Teles and maybe an Epiphone Les Paul.

Not about a chip on my shoulder - I don't have the collection most of the folks here have. I just think it would be neat to see some different pictures - even if they're of the same guitars. Digital cameras, iPhones, etc... take some new pics!!!

Archived