Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

The OFFICIAL Yamaholics thread.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I've seen so many top-notch reviews for the SA2200 and each one makes me want one more! Two on eBay UK right now, I expect them to hit £900 at least. I know it would be sensible to get one ASAP now that they've been discontinued, but that's a LOT of cash for me...

    Comment








    • Quote Originally Posted by AlexMC
      View Post

      now that they've been discontinued.




      they have? why are they still listed in the latest catalog then?
      it wasn`t me

      Comment








      • Quote Originally Posted by zenbu
        View Post

        they have? why are they still listed in the latest catalog then?




        Oh, I thought I read this earlier in the thread... maybe I'm mistaken.

        Comment


        • The confusion about the SA2200 being discontinued is likely my fault.

          In September our Yamaha rep (Canada) told me they were being discontinued forever with no replacements planned. I checked a rep in Japan and he, too, said they were canceled.



          But just today (March 16, 2011)I got the new price list from Yamaha and the SA2200 and AES1500(b) are both listed, but it looks like the AEX1500 was actually canceled.



          The 2200 and 1500 are now on a batch-order basis, so when they have enough orders they'll whip up a batch.



          The Canadian List price for them is: $3000 for the AES1500, $3200 for the AES1500B, and $3200 for the SA2200.



          Well worth every penny, and worth the 5 month wait. Honestly.
          How am I expected to write my signature in this space?

          Comment








          • Quote Originally Posted by Moot
            View Post

            The confusion about the SA2200 being discontinued is likely my fault.

            In September our Yamaha rep (Canada) told me they were being discontinued forever with no replacements planned. I checked a rep in Japan and he, too, said they were canceled.



            But just today (March 16, 2011)I got the new price list from Yamaha and the SA2200 and AES1500(b) are both listed, but it looks like the AEX1500 was actually canceled.



            The 2200 and 1500 are now on a batch-order basis, so when they have enough orders they'll whip up a batch.



            The Canadian List price for them is: $3000 for the AES1500, $3200 for the AES1500B, and $3200 for the SA2200.



            Well worth every penny, and worth the 5 month wait. Honestly.




            Any RGX models this year?
            Originally Posted by buddhapaugh


            Rocking the spandex AND the depends!

            Comment








            • Quote Originally Posted by Yarbicus
              View Post

              Any RGX models this year?




              I just went through my list and, no, sorry, there are no RGX's listed. Lots of RBX's, though.



              Looks like the entire AES line is gone now, too. Except for the AES1500(B).
              How am I expected to write my signature in this space?

              Comment


              • Wow, Yamaha's quality control is amazing!

                Check out the quality of finish inside the pick-up cavity:





                Just incredible. My PRS Artist's finish was of lesser quality than the hidden parts of Yamaha's.



                It's been a month now and I haven't had slightest bit of guitar-related GAS. How do I spell relief? Y-A-M-A-H-A!
                How am I expected to write my signature in this space?

                Comment


                • Stop it... you're feeding my gas!



                  Quick question - how are the stock pickups? One of the used SA2200's I'm watching has had a pickup swap for Bare Knuckle Stormy Mondays, and I'd like to know if it's worth paying a premium for? I'm also a little concerned that the replacement pups won't have the three-screw pickup ring levelling system or have properly working coil taps...



                  And I'm sure I've noticed locking tuners on some models, but not on others - can anyone confirm please?

                  Comment


                  • I find the pickups to be excellent. I know that JKater swapped his for a pair of Gibsons, but concluded that, as it turned out, there was no need. Hand-wound, on the other hand, may be worth the money and effort - not sure. Note that the cavities, as pointed out by the same JKater, are shallow, which may call for modification of standard-size PUs.
                    RockNote: Yamaha SA2200 -> Area 51 wah –> Pentavocal -> Dlx Moon Phaser => 2 x Cornford Carrera. Kramer Pacer > Phase 100 > Crybaby > TS9 > Fender Princeton Chorus.

                    Comment


                    • I have followed the developments in Japan closely, after the tsunami. In particular, I am concerned about the nuclear crisis. Not only as it threatens the Japanese people, who are the world's most intelligent population, and therefore commands the respect of the entire world, but also, somewhat egotistically, as a consumer and a Yamaholic. How far is Yamaha from Fukushima? I am thinking in particular of the place where they manufacture (hand build) the SA2200, SG2000, SG3000 and AES1500.
                      RockNote: Yamaha SA2200 -> Area 51 wah –> Pentavocal -> Dlx Moon Phaser => 2 x Cornford Carrera. Kramer Pacer > Phase 100 > Crybaby > TS9 > Fender Princeton Chorus.

                      Comment


                      • if this link works it will show you where Hamamatsu is in Japan in relation to Tokyo and if you have an idea of where Fukushima is on the map it would help...if that`s where they build those models...



                        http://hamamatsu-daisuki.net/hamacon.../img/japan.gif
                        it wasn`t me

                        Comment








                        • Quote Originally Posted by AlexMC
                          View Post

                          Stop it... you're feeding my gas!



                          Quick question - how are the stock pickups? One of the used SA2200's I'm watching has had a pickup swap for Bare Knuckle Stormy Mondays, and I'd like to know if it's worth paying a premium for? I'm also a little concerned that the replacement pups won't have the three-screw pickup ring levelling system or have properly working coil taps...



                          And I'm sure I've noticed locking tuners on some models, but not on others - can anyone confirm please?




                          The seller informs me that the Bare Knuckle replacements are 2-conductor only hence no coil splitting. Big deal? I would really prefer all stock but these things only pop up occasionally on eBay UK...

                          Comment




                          • I'm a bit fuzzy on just who has been manufacturing Yamaha's pickups during the past 15 to 20 years. Has it been a mix of Yamaha and Dimarzio, or are there other known manufacturers involved -- like Seymour Duncan, etc.?



                            As far as I know, since the late 1950s or early 1960s, when Yamaha began manufacturing electric guitars, Yamaha always made their own pickups. But, they apparently started using OEM Dimarzio pickups on occasion starting in the early 1980s. My 1982 SHB-400 seems to have unlabeled Dimarzio SuperDistortion pickups -- probably a custom wound version of the retail SuperDistortion pickup. Since then, Yamaha has often used normal off-the-shelf Dimarzio pickups in certain models (Dimarzio is mentioned in specifications).

                            Comment




                            • Actually, I just recalled that my RGX-TT (Ty Tabor signature model) uses Seymour Duncan pickups. But, then again, the RGX-TT is not a normal production model.

                              Comment


                              • I still feel that the stock pickups are really good - lots of power with nice articulation. I'm just such a sucker for Lollar's Imperials.

                                Luckily the music store in which I work is right next door to a machining/fabricating place and they made me 2 small pieces of metal with the extra 2 holes needed to retrofit the Imperial to the 3-hole pickup ring. They offered to weld it on, but I figured that might wreck the pickup so I used epoxy. Of course, the old trick is to just bend the legs of the pickup to the angle you want.



                                Does the fellow selling the guitar still have the originals? If so I'd try out the Bare Nuckles - I've heard a lot of good about them but I've never played one.



                                The Pickup cavities were more than deep enough for the Lollar Imperials. I'm not sure about Gibson pickups, I have no experience with them.



                                If you can get a SA2200 I would jump on it. Picjkups come and go, but the 2200 is a lifetime keeper.



                                I hope everything is normal with Yamaha and they can keep their productions going. Our hearts go out to all the damaged and displaced people of Japan.
                                How am I expected to write my signature in this space?

                                Comment



                                Working...
                                X