Who was the worst shredder of the 80's? The Best?

Mr.scary96

• Members

Worst - Guy Mann Dude.  A few years ago I found his record (vinyl) and bought it on a whim because I remembered ads for him in Guitar for the Practicing Musician.  Pretty bad.

Favorite - There are lots of great players, it's hard to pick one.  Is Vai considered an 80s shredder?  If so, then he's my favorite, although mostly for his work with Zappa (not shred) and solo stuff from ths 90s on.  I like his albums with DLR and Whitesnake, but not my favorite of his works.  Yngwie would be right up there.  I always like George Lynch's playing w/ Dokken, too.  Randy Rhoads of course.

• Members

Of all the great shredders, Jason Becker was probably the single scariest talent to emerge in the 80s. It seemed like everything he played, he did with complete ease, but without the arrogance and braggadocio of Al Di Meola. It's very sad that Becker was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's Disease so early in his career, but I love that he has been so good-natured and indomitable to this day about his condition.

Paul Gilbert occupies a special place among 80s shredders, for he was really the first one (IMO) to surpass what Yngwie was doing. Gilbert was like Yngwie and EVH combined, and his musical vocabulary (again, IMO) surpasses most, if not all of his peers.

As for "worst" shredder, that's a very difficult question to answer, because there's a very fine line between sucking at shredding and sucking, period. :)

• Members

CC DeVille and the guy from living color are the worst.

Best?  I always figured that Steve Vai was about the best guy out there.  He hits all the EVH marks but also could read and played with zappa.  AND he represented devil music in Crossroads.  The only thing I didn't really like is the fact that most of his recordings are instrumental guitar m a s t u r  b a t i o n  albums.  I can;t really listen to that for very long.

• Members

I like Vernon's stuff so I had a hard time understanding why one would dislike his work but in sure someone thinks I'm a loon for hating Vinnie Vincent. That ESP Vernon had on the video Cult Of Personality was killer. That entire song was a masterpiece.

• Members

Mr.scary96 wrote:

I like Vernon's stuff so I had a hard time understanding why one would dislike his work but in sure someone thinks I'm a loon for hating Vinnie Vincent. That ESP Vernon had on the video Cult Of Personality was killer. That entire song was a masterpiece.

Because Vernon was a little too experimental for most guitarists. Guitar World said he sounded like he was playing with a boat motor. It's kinda funny, because I could say the same about their journalism.

I've not listened to ILC beyond "Cult of Personality," but I think Reid is awesome on that song.

• Members

Mr.scary96 wrote:

I'd listen to him over VV any day of the week though. Even though VV wrote that song Lick it Up but still his solo stuff was ass.

In that same issue of Guitar World, they accused Vinnie Vincent of speeding up guitar solos after recording them. Kind of reminds me of how the guys in Avenged Sevenfold rely a little too much on Pro Tools.

• Members

Mr.scary96 wrote:

How did they know he sped them up? And I don't know why the band Avenged Sevenfolds abbreviation is AX7 I mean that makes me think of 12AX7's the preamp tube not some high gain/ego crappy band to be honest.

I think Revolver magazine was the first to publish the A7X appreviation. I used to read those magazines every month... Funny how I stopped reading that and Guitar World around the same time. I guess I had enough of the **** band coverage and Zakk Wylde interviews.

• Members

I don't know how someone could stop caring what Zakk Wylde has to say.

the Leonardo of our time

one day will cure cancer

... and in the meantime, busies hisself building the nest egg with completely empty, over-the-top-**** watered-down cock rock and Harley poses.  But just you watch, the medical research project is coming soon.  It will be a cure for cancer, but with black and white stripes.

Archived