Shop notes

BeeTL

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Dirty South Al View Post
Awesome! Roxy looks like a pro! Subscribed!
smile.gif
Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane View Post
have you visited this thread yet?
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...43-In-the-shop

it's already got a great community of DYI'ers and shop-talk-types in it. why not just add to that party? i'm sure the many folks that are in that thread everyday would love to see what you're up to as well.
Thanks, I'll look into that.

So, it seem like I

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Over to the sander to smooth out the edges and back to the router table to round off the back edge:

DSC00885.jpg

DSC00886.jpg

DSC00887.jpg

Next, I get ready to rout out the neck, pickup and tremolo cavities. I mark out the location and then hog out the bulk of the wood with a forstner bit:

DSC00888.jpg

DSC00889.jpg

Set the depth, and go to it:

DSC00890.jpg

DSC00892.jpg

I forgot to snap pics cleaning up the pockets with the router, so here it is mocked up

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Just getting back to some guitar work. I've done some clear-coating recently, but that doesn't make for interesting photos. I did get a chance to work up a new design to go on the "whammy" bass.

Design laid out on paper:

DSC00897.jpg

Cutting the design in stencil paper:

DSC00896.jpg

Just the dragonflies:

DSC00898.jpg

All finished:

DSC00899.jpg

DSC00900.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

OK...moar it is!

I've felt like I needed an offset body to satisfy the Jazz/Jazzmaster crowd, and I'm also in love with the non-reverse Firebird and the idea of a reverse RD Artist.

This shape has been knocking around in my head for over a year, I'm VERY pleased with how it came out.

This design picks up elements from LOTS of different influences, but isn't close enough to any one to be remotely confusing in the eyes of a consumer, especially when you see the headstock.

The hook on the horn may get a small radius to make adding binding a bit easier, but we'll see.

What do you think?

DSC00908.jpg

DSC00909.jpg

DSC00910.jpg

DSC00911.jpg

• Members

awesome!
:thu:
subscribed!

Thanks man!

So, here's the revision for today...the short-horn version could be used on bass, but may be more prone to neck dive.

Controls could be rear-routed, but I use the Tele plate for both scale and personal preference.

DSC00916.jpg

DSC00917.jpg

DSC00918.jpg

DSC00919.jpg

• Members

I started wetsanding and polishing nine guitar bodies.

Although it was a bummer of a weekend on the woodworking side, the finishing process is going well.

Six down...three to go.

I'm going to put these up as a silent auction...$500 reserve / $895 Buy It Now shipped in the US lower 48.

I'll post photos and specs of each in the classifieds in the next week or so, but the basics are US made bodies, nitro finish, AllParts necks, Lollar TV Jones or Fralin pickups, CRL, CTS, Deluxe Gator case, etc.

Yes, I'm giving them away!!!

DSC00927.jpg

• Members

Funny thing...I really thought the 5 headstock would be awkward, but it looks SOOOO much better than I imagined.

That combined with a tilt-back design and I think I have a winner.

I've got Lindy Fralin on board with designing unique 5 and 6-string bass pickups, so I think I may have a big winner for the bass crowd.

:)

Archived