Am. Deluxe Strat Tremolo question ?

boutros

• Members

hey there,

the tremolo bar on my new strat doesn't screw in but pushes in and then clicks into place. But it is really hard to push in and to get it out... holy cow. it feels like i am gonna rip the bridge out, when trying to extract the bar.

tonite i decided to set it up with a little heavier strings. so i get the bridge out and see that is has 2 allen screws, on the treble side, that adjusts how freely the bar swings/rotates and I see a cut out notch in the trem block below these where the spring/key is located that the notch out of the trem bar bottom clicks into.

is it possible to pull this little clip out and open it up a little wider or to use a small screwdriver and stretch it in place. Anyway, i wanted to ask before tearing anything up:) Surely this can be set so i don't have to tear the bridge off each time i take it loose.

also, why the 2 allen set screws instead of one. Any difference in using one over the other or both. Also unscrewing these completely has no effect upon the ease of putting in or pulling out the trem bar.

any info appreciated,

boutros

• Members
Originally posted by boutros

hey there,

the tremolo bar on my new strat doesn't screw in but pushes in and then clicks into place. But it is really hard to push in and to get it out... holy cow. it feels like i am gonna rip the bridge out, when trying to extract the bar.

tonite i decided to set it up with a little heavier strings. so i get the bridge out and see that is has 2 allen screws, on the treble side, that adjusts how freely the bar swings/rotates and I see a cut out notch in the trem block below these where the spring/key is located that the notch out of the trem bar bottom clicks into.

is it possible to pull this little clip out and open it up a little wider or to use a small screwdriver and stretch it in place. Anyway, i wanted to ask before tearing anything up:) Surely this can be set so i don't have to tear the bridge off each time i take it loose.

also, why the 2 allen set screws instead of one. Any difference in using one over the other or both. Also unscrewing these completely has no effect upon the ease of putting in or pulling out the trem bar.

any info appreciated,

boutros

Why do you need to remove the trem bar so much?

• 8 years later...
  • Members

There are two small allen head screws at the back of the bridge on the sustain block - If you press the arm down you will be able to see the top one and have access to it - the top one adjusts the tension on the bar so it will either stay in position or swing freely

The lower one is difficult to get at without removing the strings from the guitar but it adjusts how tightly the bar is held in the block

I would suggest trying the top one first because if it is too tight it may be causing the problem you describe.

Archived