Received defective ebay flanger - what to do?

jgk62

• Members

I bought a used EH Electric Mistress flanger on ebay, auction stated "There is some lite rust and a few nicks. (ITEM IS NOT NEW), but it does sound very good."

Well I plugged it in, engaged the flanger and the volume drops to a barely audible signal. You can hear the flange effect but this is definitely defective.

I emailed him twice, telling him that its defective but havent received a response yet. I wasnt a dick or anything, didnt demand a refund, just wanted to know what he wanted to do about it.

Whats my next step? One more email, but this time demand a refund or I post negative feedback?

And then get eBay involved?

This sucks!

• Members

Originally posted by duderanimous

sounds like a bad bypass switch, which is an easy fix. If you got it for a good price I'd say just replace the switch... and maybe ask the seller to reimurse for the cost of the switch

I'd get it checked over, see what it would cost to fix, and then email the seller and see if he's amenable to paying for the repairs (you could offer to wsend him a receipt or something). If he's playing fair, and you've not as you say been a dick, then he should at least do that. I wouldn't go shouting the odds - could well be he's been negligent in not checking it still worked when he sold it, so i wouldn't (and it doesn't sound like you are anyhow) go claiming he set out deliberately to rip you off. Either way, if it;s cheap to fix and you bought it for a lot less than it would normally cost, so it's worth more when fixed than it cost you in total by that point, i'd reason you were ahead and don't worry about it....

• Members

EH stuff out of the 80s is notorious for breaking down. Out of 5 EH effects that I bought, only the Electric mistress survived (all had seen very little use).

If you are lucky, it is just a bad solder joint and not the chip.

Since it never worked, I would think that is why the guy sold it. Give him a negative feedback if he doesn't make it right with you :o

• 8 years later...
  • Members

Dr. Tweedbucket wrote:

EH stuff out of the 80s is notorious for breaking down. Out of 5 EH effects that I bought, only the Electric mistress survived (all had seen very little use).

If you are lucky, it is just a bad solder joint and not the chip.

Since it never worked, I would think that is why the guy sold it. Give him a negative feedback if he doesn't make it right with you
:o

^^^This is what to do...^^^

• Members

Send it back to eBay and tell them you want a refund.  eBay brand flangers have a reputation for being poor flangers.  Not only are eBay flangers nothing but rubbish, so are eBay benders, strippers, splitters, and rollers.  They're all rubbish.  

Archived