Tuning while Gigging

crispyguitarist

• Members

I have a rack tuner, and run a cable from the Recording Out jack (on the back of my MKIV) to the input in the back of the tuner. That way, the tuner is out of my signal path, always on, and if I don't want the audience to hear me tuning, I pull out the Silent Recording function on the Output. You can do the same with a Slave Out, or Line Out, but you won't be able to tune silently.

• Members

I use the tuner on the zen via the zBoard...quiet though between songs. Usually only needed if tuning down or the song was heavy on the wammy bar. Sometimes, I'll reach up and tweek the tuning if it is easily id'd and I can go to an open string without ruining the key of the song.

Also have a Boss ??12 tuner for my acousitics and bass. but that is usually only used at home.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Rabies

Boss pedal. It acts like a standby and cuts off the amp when engaged. No one hears you tuning. Also an easy way to put you in standby without having to go monkey with the amp.

That's the way to go.

• Members

Boss pedal. It acts like a standby and cuts off the amp when engaged. No one hears you tuning. Also an easy way to put you in standby without having to go monkey with the amp.

For me I think it's the only way to go. I'm also plugged into a ZOOM 707II which in by-pass is also a tuner. I really like them on the floor in front of me.

• Members

I don't even have a proper tuner now (only using the tuner in my V-Amp2) and I usually plug direct into the amp.

But no worries, So far all the gig I have played with my RG, my guitar has been staying in tune well for the whole gig, (only slightly flat on the high e at the end of the gig)

But it is recommended that, if you really want to tune on stage, do get a pedal with a bypass.

I always hate it when I see guitarist tuning on stage with full volume where the audience can hear you. It's annoying and unprofessional.

• Members

I'm another guy who does it this way.

Me and my bass player drop our D on some songs, so having a tuning pedal with a mute is important.

• Members

Originally posted by vmx23

I always hate it when I see guitarist tuning on stage with full volume where the audience can hear you. It's annoying and unprofessional.

...especially when it happens between every freaking song.

• Members

Originally posted by MattAnonymous

This is one of the coolest things I've seen. They've got 'em on ebay and on
www.strobopick.com

vdemo.gif

Why I think it's practical.

No noise interference

Good for dark venues

Small and easy to carry

No cables to tangle

I'm not making any money off of these I just thing they're ideal for the situation described.

Matt

when I see that, I wonder how practical it is considering it looks easily damaged and only offers standard tuning or semitone down depending on the model ordered...

• Members

Originally posted by metalcore

I tune my guitar before I gig. Then if a slight adjustment needs to be made I'll just reover with my right hand mid song and tune, kinda like Hendrix did. It looks cool.

Man do you sleep with your guitars to have this kind of empathy with pitch?

• 8 years later...
  • Members

If I'm doing a light gig with just my Boss GT8 I use the tuner in that. It mutes the signal when engaged. If I'm using the full amp rig I use my Korg tuner in front of the amp, mostly because it has Buzz Feiten offsets built in, so the guitar plays a little bit more in-tune.

My acoustic-electric has a tuner built-in that mutes the signal.

General idea is that you should always be able to tune onstage quickly if necessary, unless you have a dedicated guitar tech handing you tuned guitars, which I never have. :)

Archived