"slash" note head

• Members

I was looking at a score+tablature and some of the notes has a "slash" (a thick "/") head instead of the usual rounded heads. The tablatures also used a slash instead of showing fretboard numbers on those strings. I've seen this when denoting rhythm notation, but then the entire score is that way, not just a few notes/chords. Instead here, you'd have two 8th notes, the first one playing a chord over 2 strings and the next one showing this slash at the position the head notes would have been. Only 3 out of the dozen notes/chords in the bar would use that notation, all the others have normal note heads/tab notation. Sorry I don't have a picture.

what does it mean? repeat the previous chord/notes because they didn't want to bother redrawing the note heads? does it indicate the second 8th note needs to be played differently, e.g. palm muted?

• Members

Slash note heads usually indicate chord rhythms.

From the description (normal note heads on 2 strings followed by slash heads) I'm guessing it's those same notes repeated with the given rhythm.

It's a way of saving writing/printing the same notes again and again: "here are your notes, now repeat them with this rhythm."

• Members

Yeah but in this case it's just one slash note and back to regular notes, not what I've seen in some rhythm guitar tabs. I'm guessing percussive notes is more what this particular score meant. I'll looks through some of the books I have at home to see if I find something similar for a song I know or can listen to to compare.

Archived