What are you guys practicing?

• Members

Working my way (slowly) through second Berklee MGM book to keep reading up - also working through 1st Piano version for something different.

Working on Scales, Arps etc & always trying to find decent "applications" for the same - I like to learn songs and work them back to the scales/chords etc to find some kind of theoretical connection.

Bought Chord Tone Soloing book but haven't really delved into it yet - maybe I'll do that soon.

Need to work more on chord vocabulary too but I often end up lacking inspiration there - so many chords - I feel like an author looking for inspiration in a dictionary.

Giving theory a break after going pretty heavy for the last year - I find it interesting but not really sure where to go with it.

Got a cool Ear Training App on my phone "Perfect Ear Pro" - its super cheap and the free version is cool too (IMO)

Worked up "Bistro A Fada" from Ear - did a quick recording of it on a new MBox Mini with ProTools - that was kinda cool fun but PC stuff is kinda time consuming at first so I try not to get too hung up on it. Recording definitely helps hear your faults.

Think I need some inspiration and better focus. I often used to find it here but not so much these days!!

Hanging out for a watershed moment!

Cheers

I made it through the last rehearsal for the blues gig last night...the hardest part for me is remembering the lyrics to so many new songs and some of the tunes from my new album I haven't gigged out yet so there was a lot of new stuff last night but I think I've got it down with a little review before Saturday. I'm thinking that I'd like to learn some more Charlie Christian stuff next week...that might be the plan.

• Members

I've been practicing scales and getting adventurous with song structures. One thing I identified as a weak point in my playing was that I was too inhibited. For example, I would almost religiously keep my writing within the confines of what had been marked off by theory alone. Lately I've been letting myself ignore much of that, and get kinda loose with my writing. So far it has somewhat revitalized my playing. Overall I am positively inclined.

New week, new directions. The stress of last weeks show is off so I'm going to get back to some general practicing. Learned some lessons Saturday night about playing my own music at an event that I'm also running. The video below has the first three tunes from the other night. I need to find someone else to stage manage the event and just focus on playing music.

• Members

I really do numerous things on the other hand yet another thing regarding the meal right now may be transcribing virtually any solitary by just Jesse Kinsley that has been recently back up artist using Albert King's group in those days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
I really do numerous things on the other hand yet another thing regarding the meal right now may be transcribing virtually any solitary by just Jesse Kinsley that has been recently back up artist using Albert King's group in those days.

you poast almist liek reel hooman bean!!!

• Members

Working on recording some simple songs out of a book, but playing them very well, locked in with the rhythm section and with a good technical performance as well. Also taking those songs and using them as a springboard to making my own songs in those styles. My improvisations always tends to sound the same and I'm trying to break out of that and create different moods in various styles.

Archived