Lesson plan for novice guitar players.

• Members

How do you teach newbies?

In the name of making rapid progress so they don't get bored and quit, I start out by showing them the E major and minor scales. I then teach them the E and E minor chords and show them how which notes of the scales comprise each chord. I then show them how adding a pinky can make those chords 6ths, 7ths as well as minor 6ths and 7ths. I then teach them to barre one fret up to F or Fmin and repeat the process etc. until they have worked their way up the fretboard. I then repeat the the process using the barre "A" and C" shapes, majors and minors. Provided they practice, my students know major, minor, 6ths, 7ths, minor 6ths and 7ths, major 7ths and add 9s at the end of one month.

I then download songs of their choice to start learning.

What do you think?

• Members

Sounds like a good way to go and it's similar to how I teach although I stick with open position chords if they're beginners and still teach them the diatonic major/minor scales, have them name and count the notes, and start them on simple I - IV- V and ii - V - I progressions.

In the open position you can also introduce them to "slash" chords:

C/E, D/F#, F/A, G/B, etc...

When they're ready to move up the neck I bring in barre chords and then apply the same philosophy of scales/notes/numbers.

Music is really simple math most people pick up the relation and application of numbers to music quickly.

• Members
Originally posted by gtrdave

Sounds like a good way to go and it's similar to how I teach although I stick with open position chords if they're beginners and still teach them the diatonic major/minor scales, have them name and count the notes, and start them on simple I - IV- V and ii - V - I progressions.

In the open position you can also introduce them to "slash" chords:

C/E, D/F#, F/A, G/B, etc...

When they're ready to move up the neck I bring in barre chords and then apply the same philosophy of scales/notes/numbers.

Music is really simple math most people pick up the relation and application of numbers to music quickly.

Oh, I don't neglect the open positions.

• Members

Originally posted by ninja of love

How do you teach newbies?

In the name of making rapid progress so they don't get bored and quit, I start out by showing them the E major and minor scales. I then teach them the E and E minor chords and show them how which notes of the scales comprise each chord. I then show them how adding a pinky can make those chords 6ths, 7ths as well as minor 6ths and 7ths. I then teach them to barre one fret up to F or Fmin and repeat the process etc. until they have worked their way up the fretboard. I then repeat the the process using the barre "A" and C" shapes, majors and minors. Provided they practice, my students know major, minor, 6ths, 7ths, minor 6ths and 7ths, major 7ths and add 9s at the end of one month.

I then download songs of their choice to start learning.

What do you think?

Thats very good

After that, they should move onto the relations between chords and study basic chord theory, scale theory etc.

One of the most important things is to get a feel for how things work. They should be able to identify common progressions and chords with ease( like 1- 6-2-5, 1-4-5 etc) just by listening to the songs.

And also, identifying different chords,chord types, scale patterns etc using their ear is very important.

• Members
Originally posted by rosskoss

Thats very good

After that, they should move onto the relations between chords and study basic chord theory, scale theory etc.

One of the most important things is to get a feel for how things work. They should be able to identify common progressions and chords with ease( like 1- 6-2-5, 1-4-5 etc) just by listening to the songs.

And also, identifying different chords,chord types, scale patterns etc using their ear is very important.

So, you actually agree with me on something?

• Members
Originally posted by rosskoss

Well if I really do agree, why would I post otherwise?

PLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLPLP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Archived