Scales

• Members

Hi all,

No, I'm notgoing to ask you to explain to me hwat scales are, cos I know :p

anyways, when I learn a scale - should I learn one position or should I learn them all, is there much point in learning them all ( I know you get more scope in you solos but.. it's a lotta hard work)

WHats the best way you would recommend learning these buggers.

And what scales should I go on to learn, after Major and Natural Minor?

Thanks, Tom

• Members

Well I'm no expert but I reckon it's best to start with a basic position and then learn variations (like 3 note per string fingerings, scale patterns starting on the 5th string rather than the 6th, etc.). Then it's just a matter of filling in the gaps.

Other scales to learn are the harmonic minor and melodic minor, plus modes, diminished scales etc. I use the harmonic minor quite a lot.

• Members

I think learning the patterns will help your playing ability's and your ability to play solos better. If you are looking for new scales, I would suggest:

Melodic Minor
Harmonic Minor
Blues
Traditional Blues
Major Pentatonic
Minor Pentatonic

Modes:

Mixolydian
Phyrgian
Lydian
Locrian

• Members

learn EVERY scale in EVERY position. I know it's alot of work, but I think (just my opinion...) that it's the only way to fluently be able to work up and down the neck while soloing. Also, it helps working out different fingerings. For instance, I once had gig outside, and it was pretty cold so I could feel my left hand stiffening up. Rather than risking strainging my pinky, I just used a different fingering on the fly. People that knew the solos by heart never even noticed :)

• Members
Originally posted by [PaRliNG]
Hi all,
No, I'm notgoing to ask you to explain to me hwat scales are, cos I know :p

PHEW! Thanks :)

WHats the best way you would recommend learning these buggers.

Ever heard of modes? They are like applications of
the Major scale. In the modes system, the Major scale is called the ionian mode. Say we're in the key of C Major - for simplicity. The notes are
ascending: C,D,E,F,G,A,B and C again. Now, try playing that same selection of notes over a D minor chord. Since now, in this new context, this
same selection would be written D,E,F,G,A,B,C and
D an octave higher. This selection of notes are now referred to as the dorian mode or dorian scale, same thing.

What I'm saying is that by just understanding the idea behind the modes
system, you will in effect learn seven different
scales for every Major scale. And considering that
all you have to do to get to another key is to
move your left hand one or more frets. It ain't
that hard is it? Besides, very few players has nailed all fingerings of all these scales. It's
much more important to understand the principles.

• Members

Originally posted by jazzIII

learn EVERY scale in EVERY position.

No need. Learn the good ones and lots of ways of using them instead. It's not how many scales you know, it's knowing how to use them that makes a difference.

Learn the major scale and it's modes (espcecially the Ionian, Dorian and Mixolydian modes). Learn he Melodic minor scale, at least if you're into jazz, and learn how to use it for altered notes.

Learn the blues scale if you don't know it. Learn the Choromatic scale, or rather learn how to use it. The actual scale isn't much to learn, it's just all 12 notes.

The Augmented, Diminished and Whole-Tone scales? You may very well not need them so much as you think. The scales abovecover much of what you'd use them for anyway.

• Members

I think learning a scale all over the fretboard is very important. Once you really get a feel for the major scale all over the fretboard it really opens things up. That's the only real way I know of to break out of that box we call pattern playing. Kind of ironic huh? Learning patterns to break out of patterns.:)

Well, anyway, here's the way that has worked best for me...

1- Learn all 5 pentatonic scales with each scales' root note starting on the E string. That way you can stack each fingering on top of each other and cover the entire fretboard (modal pentatonics).
2- Now, move to the 7 modes of the major scale, be aware of how the pentatonics fit as you run them.
3- Go back to the pentatonic modes/fingerings, run arpeggios with them.
4- Run your arpeggios and chord tones with the major scales.

You now have 7 modal sounds at your disposal. You can play over majors, minors, dom7, and half diminished chords, all with the use of one scale (major). In my opinion, learning this stuff makes learning everything else a hell of a lot easier.

• Members

Originally posted by Terje

No need. Learn the good ones and lots of ways of using them instead. It's not how many scales you know, it's knowing how to use them that makes a difference.

Agreed.

Remember to pay attention to the harmonic context while practicing the scales. If you can record yourself, record a chord and try playing the different scales over the recording. For example, record a Cmaj7 chord. Then try playing C major, C lydian and B minor pentatonic scales over it, also try differnt triads and arpeggios.

People often emphasize the importance of using a metronome when practicing scales as a rhythm guide. IMO it's every bit as important to know what you are doing harmonically speaking as well.

Archived