How do I find the sweetspot on my amp/guitar?

lorkpe

• Members

Originally posted by lorkpe

classic rock

Boost the {censored} out of your mids, roll off your volume and tone on the guitar a bit, add a touch of reverb, distortion just about over half, then crank the {censored} out of the little beast.

This is just a rough guide. Experiment, tweak, and {censored} around with it as much as you have to.

• Members

FINDING THE AMP'S SWEET SPOT

One question I get asked a lot is "what is the best way to set up my amp?" You know the problem, you play a gig one night and you get a great sound but the next gig your rig sounds different even though you have used the same settings.

There are no hard and fast rules here but there is one trick I use to find the "sweet spot" for the particular amp I'm using. This trick works on all Fender guitars and basses playing through Fender amps. Remember I have to use anything up to a dozen different amps using lots of different Fender guitars every night and I need to sound check them as fast as possible and get a consistent sound every time. Here's how it's done.

First set up your amp to get the sound you would normally use at the volume you want to play at. Next turn all the EQ controls, (bass, middle, treble and presence if fitted) to 0. Turn the guitar volume up and select the neck pickup. Play an E chord at the bottom of the neck concentrating on the low E and A strings. Now sweep the Bass tone control from 0 to 10 and back a few times. You should hear a point somewhere between these two point where there seems to be a 'hump' in the tone where the bass really kicks in. Reduce the sweep to home in on this point and that will be the 'sweet spot' for the bass control. Now select the middle pickup, On a Telecaster select the in-between or middle position. Play an A chord at the bottom of the neck concentrating on the D and G strings. Sweep the Middle control the same way as you did for the Bass and again home in on the 'hump'. For the Treble control select the bridge pickup, play a D Chord, concentrating on the B and top E strings, and repeat the procedure.

Now you should have the amp giving you the best overall tonal response across all the strings and in all pickups positions without over cooking the frequencies. Over cooking the tone controls is like over revving a car. When the rev counter hits the red line that is the maximum power output for the engine and going into the red will seem like your going faster but you will be just making the engine work harder than it has to. If you apply this to your amp where the 'hump' is the red line, then not only will you get the best tone from it, you'll find that if you need any more bass, middle or treble then you will have some left to tweak the sound to exactly what you want. Do this every time you set up your amp and you will always have the optimum performance from your amp whatever the venue.

If your amp has a Presence control now is the time to adjust it to add extra sparkle to your overall sound. Follow this simple set-up and you will always know that whatever the gig you will be getting the best from your amp, because you are starting from the 'Sweet Spot'and it doesn't get any better than that.

:)

http://www.fender.co.uk/tone.htm

• Members

Originally posted by Nicci

scooter . . .

interesting way to work ur way to the 'sweetspot', but what do u mean by 'hump'?

well i didn't write the article so......

i would guess what the author means by hump,

is what i personally would call the 'point' where the bass kicks in

and sounds just right to my ears

does that make more sense :confused:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

My method is to find your basic tone, then refine it the opposite of how you would do so naturally. If you want more bass - lower the treble and mids, etc.

It's counterintuitive, but it works really well for me. The way I think of it is that when you keep adding freqs by boosting, you are making the amp work harder to create a good sound.

• Members

Personally I like to play with a lot of different tones, just setting the amp one way would be sort of boring. To me the trick is to work with the tone your getting. I think this makes things more interesting. I play with my amp and effects in all sorts of messed up settings and there seems to be thousands of sweet spots.

• Members

i have a classic 30 and a mim strat. i actually like these ceramic pickups. anywho...MY sweet spot with that rig is pre at 5, post at full on, mids at 5, bass 8, treb 5....and i use a holy grail reverb.

if i use the vol on the guitar it works well. seems like most the guys that run this type of rig set it up about like that. ya gotta dig into the strings sorta aggressive to get max gain and breakup at this setting, and in a classic/blues band seems to get the job done. i use a tube screamer here and there. but if ya need modern type gain..well....it's just not designed to do it.

steve

Archived