Harmonic Interval ear training

• Members

I am learning ( better late than never ) how to recognize intervals in music. I am using Earmaster, software that is pretty good for the purpose. In learning to recognize intervals UP I found it easiest to use harmonic templates, ( perfect 4th, a_mazing grace for instance.) The intervals up were easy to find. Now I am trying to find the same thing for intervals DOWN. I spent some time with a Beatles song book and came up with something for most of them but lack dim5, Maj6, min7 and Maj7.

Can anyone suggest some for these intervals. I also try using Christmas music and bluegrass, types of music I know well and that is very structured. I play blues but there does not seem to be a lot I can come up with there. I also know most of the popular R/B from the 60s.

I know there are lots of ways to learn intervals and this one seems to be working for me but I just need some suggestions here.

Once I complete the list I will post it to the board.

Thanks

YoreOlPappy

Patrick

• Members

The best way I've found to learn all interval but the d5 is to learn the major scale in steps. For example, thr root to the second followed by the root to the third, etc up to the root to the octave. This will give you the M2, M3, P4, P5, M6, M7, and Oct. Then play the Oct down to the 7th, oct to 6th, oct to 5th, down to Oct to the root. This will give you the m2, m3, P4, P5, m6, m7, and oct. The best part is you get all the intervals in one functional exercise that is easy to get "in the ear" because the major scale is such a common sound for musicians. If you're trying to focus one one interval, play all the intervals up to that one at a low volume and emphasize the interval you're trying to perfect. Again, this gives the added benefit of placing the interval within a context, which is vital to learn as many musicians have a hard time identifying intervals they know in music because the context of the song (harmony, intervals before or after the interval in question, timbre, etc) throws them off.

Best of luck!

• Members

Originally posted by simeon

diminished fifth - "The Siiiiiiiiiimpsons....!"

"the" = root

"simp" = flat 5

"sons" = 5

sim

Actually, that whole intro melody is worth to study a bit. It's actually build around the Lydian Dominant Scale (if that's the official name). Pretty cool, especially when so many people walk around humming that quite advanced melody.

BTW that first interval should technically be an augmented 4th, as it leads to the perfect 5th. Still a tritone, of course. Cool initiative, btw!

• Members

Originally posted by vote4dicktaid

BTW that first interval should technically be an augmented 4th, as it leads to the perfect 5th. Still a tritone, of course.

yup - sorry!

so it's mostly lydian dominant? that's great!

:D

cartoon music rules!

sim

• Members

Try not to focus too hard on relating the intervals to songs you already know. If you rely on that too heavily, it's just another step you have to go through before you really know the sound. Also make sure you sing them whenever you can.

• 10 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members
The best way I've found to learn all interval but the d5 is to learn the major scale in steps. For example' date=' thr root to the second followed by the root to the third, etc up to the root to the octave. This will give you the M2, M3, P4, P5, M6, M7, and Oct. Then play the Oct down to the 7th, oct to 6th, oct to 5th, down to Oct to the root. This will give you the m2, m3, P4, P5, m6, m7, and oct. The best part is you get all the intervals in one functional exercise that is easy to get "in the ear" because the major scale is such a common sound for musicians. If you're trying to focus one one interval, play all the intervals up to that one at a low volume and emphasize the interval you're trying to perfect. Again, this gives the added benefit of placing the interval within a context, which is vital to learn as many musicians have a hard time identifying intervals they know in music because the context of the song (harmony, intervals before or after the interval in question, timbre, etc) throws them off.

Best of luck![/quote']Now this is a cool idea!!!

Archived