"Advancing Guitarist" - Modal Vamps question

Dib432

• Members

I just got "The Advancing Guitarist" by Mick Goodrick, and in the first chapter it says to record some "modal vamps" to improvise along to in each mode. These are supposed to be 2-4 minutes long.

I guess I don't understand how to make a Dorian or Myxilodian 'Chord' that I could vamp. Would I just record one vamp each in C major, D minor, E minor, F major, G major, A minor, and B diminished?

If you want to have a vamp in D dorian, then play Dm7. If you want F dorian, then play Fm7. If you want Db mixolydian, then play Db7. A lydian, then play Amaj7. There is a specific chord type that goes along with each mode. Here's a list of the major modes and their chords:

Ionian: maj7

Dorian: min7

Phrygian: min7 (b9)

Lydian: maj7 (#11)

Mixolydian: dom7

Aeolian: m7

Locrian: m7b5

You also don't have to stick to just one key. For me, I find it the most helpful to practice modes from a single root. For example, C Ionian, C dorian, C phrygian, C lydian, etc. That way, I can see and hear how each change of notes sounds against each chord.

Here's each mode written out in numbers. Each number represents a note of the major scale. A b or # will lower or raise that note from it's 'default' position in the major scale.

Ionian: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Dorian: 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7

Phrygian: 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7

Lydian: 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7

Mixolydian: 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7

Aeolian: 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7

Locrian: 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7

Here are a couple of examples:

C major is spelled C D E F G A B C. So if you wanted C dorian, you'd have to lower the 3rd and 7th degrees: C D Eb F G A Bb C. If you want C lydian, you'd have to raise the 4th degree: C D E F# G A B C.

• Members
Originally posted by theox

Usually the chord indicating Phrygian is susb9.

I don't know about "usually" but definately sometimes it is. Chords for modal vamps can have the extentions but they don't have to. You will see alot more extentions in Jazz but I find alot of chord are either triads or major and minor 7th arpegios and that most of the time that extended flavor is brought out in the improvising. But then again, that is in the music that I play.

Archived