help with learning music theory

keevo01

• Members

I've been reading a lot of old posts that seem to recommend Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book", but I have never been too deep into jazz (I couldn't even name a single jazz song without a few minutes to think).

Would his book be applicable to other styles of music? Obviously the fundamentals are the same, but I'm wondering about the application of them.

Any recommendations for learning music theory from a more classical standpoint, perhaps?

I don't even know where to start, actually. I've been playing guitar for some eight years now, learning almost entirely technical things and very little theory...

• Members
Originally posted by keevo01

I've been reading a lot of old posts that seem to recommend Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book", but I have never been too deep into jazz (I couldn't even name a single jazz song without a few minutes to think).

Would his book be applicable to other styles of music? Obviously the fundamentals are the same, but I'm wondering about the application of them.

Jazz certainly isn't my thing, but that's the ONE jazz-oriented theory book that I recommend to people. Of course, that's mostly to people interested in jazz.
:p

Any recommendations for learning music theory from a more classical standpoint, perhaps?

I don't even know where to start, actually. I've been playing guitar for some eight years now, learning almost entirely technical things and very little theory...

If you're completely new to theory, then you might want to start off with Miller's The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory and/or Feldstein's Practical Theory Complete: A Self-Instruction Music Theory Course. Those cover the generic basics in a simple manner.

In terms of classical theory (most likely harmony in your case), there are a LOT of excellent books, many of which can be found on Ebay dirt cheap. (I've become a master at finding good music texts for peanuts on Ebay...just this week I spent ~$30 total on half a dozen books that would have cost me at least $250 through even the cheapest Amazon affiliate!)

The first question, however, is a very fundamental one: Can you read music in treble and bass clef? (You don't have to be an ace sight-reader...just able to recognize the notes.) If so, the number of options available is enormous. If not, you'll either have to learn basic reading skills or look into guitar-based books.

Walter Piston's Harmony is an absolute standard.

Arnold Schoenberg's Theory of Harmony is a fantastic book, but it's not for beginners, and it's got a LOT of extra-musical thought. His Structural Functions of Harmony, though tiny, is a brutal book not meant for the uninitiated. These I recommend to people who are fairly experienced that want a different perspective on harmony.

Ebenezer Prout's Harmony: Its Theory and Practice is very good....IF you can find a copy. (I scored a hardcover version in unused condition for $8 :D )

JP Rameau's Treatise on Harmony is really only for those with a special historical (as opposed to practical) interest and for those who like poor writing skills. :D

Goetschius' The Theory and Practice of Tone Relations is, like all his other books, great but incredibly dry. (we're talking Griswold's xmas turkey dry!)

Payne and Kostka's Tonal Harmony, With an Introduction to Twentieth-Century Music is good, but difficult to find cheap.

There's a lot of material out there, and I'm the type that's not satisfied to have just one book on any given topic. I typically shoot for half a dozen or so for each topic. :eek: But I'm a 'theory geek'. ;)

• Members

What I'm using these days, with great success (though I wish work wasn't kicking my ass), is "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Solos and Improvisation."

Theory is one thing, but the application of it is what I've found to be what I want. Probably the same for you since you have eight years under your belt.

So, drop by your local book store, and check out the "Idiot's Guides" to either "Music Theory" or "Solos and Improvisation."

Leaf through both if you can find them together, and see which one cuts the mustard for you.

When I leafed through the Solos one, I couldn't put it down...it was just what I wanted and had been looking for.

I usually don't buy these books because they don''t adddress my problem of wanting to play effortlessly, with out stumbling around. The Solos book gives you just enough theory and then stresses implementation. And isn't that what it really is all about?

• Members

Originally posted by H535

I am currently taking private lessons from a college music professor and she teaches out of these books

Harmonic Materials in Tonal Music: A Programed Course, Part I & II

Not cheap though.

I have been using those books to teach myself. There great. You might want to start with "Basic Materials in Music Theory" by the same authors. It covers all the basics.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0130993336/ref=pd_bxgy_text_1/002-4488965-1656807?v=glance&s=books&st=*

Another good book after these is "Modal and Tonal Counterpoint : From Josquin to Stravinsky"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0028721454/ref=wl_it_dp/002-4488965-1656807?%5Fencoding=UTF8&coliid=ISKQISR595CRZ&v=glance&colid=2LIMU3TOTNZZP

• Members

Whoa, my internet went down for four-ish days, but I still wasn't expecting this wealth of replies.

Thanks guys, you gave me a lot to dig through (as opposed to doing school work, but psych. degrees are near-worthless anyways).

Archived