The reason you non.slide players want to learn how to vibrato a bent note...

Terje

• Members

... is that your ears are telling you it sounds right. When adding vibrato to a bent note the note will vibrate from the target pitch and down.

Why are your ears telling you this sounds right? Cause this is what singers do. Most of the time at least...

Us slide players? Well, we can do this on any note, whether we slide up to it or not. We can "out-vibrato" you any day of the week :D

• Members

Originally posted by 1boogieman

Do you just make up stuff to post?

It's more fun that way, sin't it? :D

Seriously though, my vibrato goes from the target pitch and down. Learnt that from Bob Brozman and it sure does sound more musical. And it is what happens when you bend up to a note and then do vibrato by releasing the bend. Which seems to be one of those things that many people strive for.

• Members

actually, we can vibrato a single note, non-bent, and make it go down and up in pitch. you move your finger parallel to the string back and forth and it acheives the effect of a vocalist doing vibrato. not as wide as with a slide, but it is effective.

also, tremelo bars work wonders for stuff like that...and can go much LOWER than a slide ;)

• Members

Originally posted by soc_monki

actually, we can vibrato a single note, non-bent, and make it go down and up in pitch. you move your finger parallel to the string back and forth and it acheives the effect of a vocalist doing vibrato. not as wide as with a slide, but it is effective.

And very subtle, I love that sound.

also, tremelo bars work wonders for stuff like that...and can go much LOWER than a slide
;)

Very true. I still love that quote from GP though "And if you want to get aggressive dragging that slide across the fretboard can unleash more string bending power than King Kong with a FLoyd Rose". But that's going up.

• Members

Originally posted by 335clone

I seem to recall a lot of discussion on this a year or so back.

My opinions change regularly. But one year ago I was of the same opinon regarding vibrato as I am now. It "should" go from the target pitch and down. If it's wide it'll go down as much as one fret almost.

I like it when it's wide and generous. Sometimes I manage to do it right. Takes a very relaxed hand.

• Members

Originally posted by Terje

When I do that it just sounds nervous.

It's one of those you have to learn to relax into.

It takes a VERY relaxed motion...I heard the challenges of oral surgery described that way before where as the moves get more micro...sometimes the tedency is to over-control, get stiff and make 'nervous' motions...the deal there is to relax

I think there can be a tendency to think about the motion in terms of linear rate instead of thinking about it cyclically...so there is this tendency when thinking "OK, I want to go small" to impose harder borders on the excursion....what happens is that there is this "slamming on of brakes" as the limit is reached and then an accelleration getting it going in the other diection...it's over correction basically and can lead to abrupt, "nervous sounding" things (as the profile of the modulation doesn't have as smooth a curve as one would like)

thinking more relaxed and just applying more subtle motive forces can really hep that out...just don't push as hard...it takes a relaxed manner (both physically and mentally) and to not think so much about speed and borders but about completing a full cycle...it's somewhat similar to refining pedal stroke in cycling (you learn to "pedal in circles")

I suspect it'll have a little more challenge factor to master with a rules-based orientation as opposed to a purely kinethetic approach...but that's the beauty of personal characteristics.

Archived