Simple question...i think...

Crook

• Members

I've been learning some chord theory and i've so far gained this bit of knowledge among other stuff:

In the key of C major you build these chords using 135,246 etc:

I II III IV V VI VII VII

Cmaj Dm Em F G7 Am Bdim Cmaj

And from this you can figure out chord in C# and so on. So i could make myself up a table of all chords in a key.

What i wanted to know was what are the chords in the key of C minor??? :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by Crook

What i wanted to know was what are the chords in the key of C minor???
:confused:

C minor is the relative minor of Eb major.

so C minor is the same notes as Eb major. (basically;) )

there are 3 minor scales

natural

harmonic

melodic

in C

Natural= C D Eb F G Ab Bb C

Harmonic= C D Eb F G Ab B C (the B natural is a nice leading tone back to the tonic C)

Melodic= C D Eb F G A B C (in classical music this is ascending version of minor. natural minor is used for descending.)

make any sense?

peace

Every major scale has a relative minor. The relative minor key shares all the same chords (hence the name 'relative').

To find the relative of a major key, start the scale on the 6th degree (or step down two degrees from the tonic - I, vii, vi).

In the key of C major, the relative minor would be A minor. A minor contains all the same chords as C major, but with A minor being the tonic chord rather than C major.

So, in order to find the chords of C minor, just go up a minor third. In this case, it would be Eb major.

However, those aren't the only chords in a minor key. Minor keys use chords from both the natural minor scale (as described above) and from the harmonic minor scale. The only difference is that the 7th scale degree is raised a half step. So in A minor, the G would become a G#. This, of course, only effects chords with a G/G# in them, namely the V chord. So to find out the chords of the A harmonic minor scale, build them exactly the same way (135, 246) but with the G# in the scale rather than G natural.

• Members

Originally posted by Crook

I've been learning some chord theory and i've so far gained this bit of knowledge among other stuff:

In the key of C major you build these chords using 135,246 etc:

I II III IV V VI VII VII

Cmaj Dm Em F G7 Am Bdim Cmaj

just to add-

usually minor chords are indicated with lower case roman numerals.

example- I ii iii IV V vi vii I

Archived