The Benefits Of Heavy vs Light Strings?

kyoun1e

• Members

Ok thanks.

So I've got some D'Addario exl110s lying around. I"m guessing those are lighter strings?

Also, for the novice, is there a way to tell what size strings you have already strung? I haven't restrung since I picked this thing up at the store and totally forget what strings I'm using.

Thanks. KY

• Members

Originally posted by kyoun1e

Ok thanks.

So I've got some D'Addario exl110s lying around. I"m guessing those are lighter strings?

I don't know offhand; what are the gauges of the strings in that set?

Despite what the packaging says, .008 and .009 sets are what I'd call 'light'....010 would be 'regular' or 'medium'... .011 and .012 would be 'heavy'. For a shorter scale guitar (Gibsons, etc), I would shift them all one notch toward the 'light' side (ie, .010 would be light, .011 would be regular or medium, etc).

Also, for the novice, is there a way to tell what size strings you have already strung? I haven't restrung since I picked this thing up at the store and totally forget what strings I'm using.

Thanks. KY

Got a micrometer? :D

9-42 is the most common gauge found on guitars in stores, so the odds are that's what you've got on there now. Until you've settled in on a particular gauge, always remember to keep the outer wrapper from the string packaging in your case so that you won't have to just guess what you've got on the instrument. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Moggo

I don't agree with that. Unless you go for lower tunings then 9's will do anything.

It's not me with which you disagree; it's physics, pure and simple.

9's will not do for everything...and of course, neither will 12's. Choice of string gauge is always a compromise, and every player must weigh the pros and cons for himself.

• Members

I switch off between Lights and Semi Lights. The Semi Lights are inbetween Extra Lights and Lights.

With Lights, I can't bend near as much as I want, and with Semi Lights I miss the power of the treble strings of the Lights. So, I alternate between the two.

Overall, I'd say I prefer the Semi Lights, but that may be because that's what I have on right now. I love 'em, and the same set has been on since November, and still sounding good though I know I'll pull them off in the next couple of weeks.

Pyramid Phosphor Bronze...they're great.

• Members

Yngwie uses 8's (with a 48 low E) and tunes down a half step...and i dont see how LOL i can barely play on 9's because theyre just too slinky.

my string gauges are in my Sig...i use 10's for the first three for bending ease and decent tension on a standard guitar (strat scale) and 11s on downtuned axes (whole step...) ive got my PRS in B right now with those 11's and its too slinky, but im dealing with it right now :)

i would say if you solo a lot, stick in the 10's range, maybe even 9's depending on your technique...more rhythm oriented player get some heavier gauges. if youre like me and do both, make custom sets at JustStrings.com...LOL i like heavy bottom strings, and 10 tops...so thats what i made, and it works for me!

good luck!

• Members

Originally posted by Auggie Doggie

Heavier strings:

Greater dynamic and timbral range

Better-defined attack

Quicker pick release/less pick noise

Better intonation

Less buzzing

Clearer chords

Lighter strings:

Easier bending

Easier hammer-ons/pull-offs

You paint a pretty biased picture.

I find heavier the string is, the less prescence you have. Darker tone results. So I don't agree with more range. It's shifted is all.

lighter strings give a lot more snap and articulation. Listen to those country shredders. They use light strings, not only for the pedal steel bends, but tone too.

• Members

I think I saw this on a forum here before.

It ended like this:

Light Strings = Pussies

Heavy Strings = Real Men

I use 9's. Everything sounds great to me. I use D'Addario which again, suck by some peoples standards. If you place 10s+ on a Floyd you might as well go buy 2 more trem springs and/or lock the bridge because you are going to end up with a ton of pull being required. That alone is all the reason I will never go above Hybrid sets of strings.

Go get a set of 12s. If you can her the musical improvement, and its better, keep using them. I personally think this is all about as relevant as what color pick you use.

People will argue this into the ground but if 9's and 8's sounded so bad, they would be the standard strings on most all electrics out the factory would they?

• Members

Originally posted by buddastrat

You paint a pretty biased picture.

I find heavier the string is, the less prescence you have. Darker tone results. So I don't agree with more range. It's shifted is all.

At the extreme end of the gauge spectrum, that's true--heavy strings have much more fundamental pitch content that do light ones, and the light ones have more overtone content. But that only applies to frequency range, not dynamic!

All strings have the same potential minimum volume--namely, silence. However, heavier strings have a greater maximum volume, and therefore have a much greater dynamic range. They respond better to differences in picking attack, both in terms of volume AND harmonic content (which is what really defines the sound of the instrument). Of course, if you're using 14-72's or something, you're going to be stuck with a darker sound no matter how you play! Again, that's just physics, not bias.

Because lighter strings respond more slowly (specifically, over a greater distance) to the pick attack, they aren't as sharp or defined, and because the maximum volume is less, the transient peaks of the notes aren't as drastic. For lack of a better word, they play more smoothly, or more legato...almost compressed in some cases. Or, from the opposite perspective, heavier strings play choppier (detache'), since the attacks are quick and more precise. The transient peaks of heavier strings are much larger.

Pick gauge works much the same way.

As I said, string gauge is always a compromise; what you gain in one area, you give up in another. That's why so many players use middle-of-the-road gauges; they offer some of the advantages of both ends of the spectrum without painting you into a corner. In other words, a 'happy medium'.

• Members

Originally posted by typedeaF

People will argue this into the ground but if 9's and 8's sounded so bad, they would be the standard strings on most all electrics out the factory would they?

The REAL reason that lighter strings are put on at the factories is that they're easier to play for most guitarists, which sells more guitars. It's that simple.

It's not that light strings 'sound bad'; it's that there's always a tradeoff. No one gauge of string does everything well. None. It's simply not possible (which is why, of course, there are so many gauges available!).

• Members

Originally posted by Slave_New_Wurld

Wow, even on issues like string size, people just love to argue in this forum. Even with physics
:D

No arguing, just discussing. Auggie brought up all good points for heavies and made it sound like light strings are only for easy playing. That's biased.

I use .010's so that's just average. But if I was playing Van Halen tunes or hillbilly tele stuff, I would use .009's for the tone, not because it's any easier.

Or if you want that killer Yngwie vibrato, you want to use light strings. So there are lots of good points for light strings.

I do agree with a lot of the points about heavy strings as well, but want to bring up some for the light strings too.

• Members

The REAL reason that lighter strings are put on at the factories is that they're easier to play for most guitarists, which sells more guitars. It's that simple.

It's not that light strings 'sound bad'; it's that there's always a tradeoff. No one gauge of string does everything well. None. It's simply not possible (which is why, of course, there are so many gauges available!).

Absolutely!

• Members

At the
extreme
end of the gauge spectrum, that's true--heavy strings have much more fundamental pitch content that do light ones, and the light ones have more overtone content. But that only applies to frequency range, not dynamic!

All strings have the same potential minimum volume--namely, silence. However, heavier strings have a greater maximum volume, and therefore have a much greater dynamic range. They respond better to differences in picking attack, both in terms of volume AND harmonic content (which is what really defines the sound of the instrument). Of course, if you're using 14-72's or something, you're going to be stuck with a darker sound no matter how you play! Again, that's just physics, not bias.

Because lighter strings respond more slowly (specifically, over a greater distance) to the pick attack, they aren't as sharp or defined, and because the maximum volume is less, the transient peaks of the notes aren't as drastic. For lack of a better word, they play more smoothly, or more legato...almost compressed in some cases. Or, from the opposite perspective, heavier strings play choppier (detache'), since the attacks are quick and more precise. The transient peaks of heavier strings are much larger.

Pick
gauge works much the same way.

As I said, string gauge is always a compromise; what you gain in one area, you give up in another. That's why so many players use middle-of-the-road gauges; they offer some of the advantages of both ends of the spectrum without painting you into a corner. In other words, a 'happy medium'.

Not denying any physics part. You brought up the good points about heavies and pissed on the lights. Your reply is what was biased. The post asked for what rockers use. Most rock guys use light strings for the leads and vibrato characteristics. You could've mentioned some of the good stuff about lights as well.

• Members

Originally posted by buddastrat

Not denying any physics part. You brought up the good points about heavies and pissed on the lights. Your reply is what was biased. The post asked for what rockers use. Most rock guys use light strings for the leads and vibrato characteristics. You could've mentioned some of the good stuff about lights as well.

From my first post:

Lighter strings:

Easier bending

Easier hammer-ons/pull-offs

(I was implicitly including vibrato under the 'bending' category).

I wasn't pissing on the lights; I was trying to point out what you gain from residing on one end of the spectrum, and also what you lose. That the positive list for heavier strings was longer was simply because heavier strings have a greater number of positive attributes; how significant each one of those is depends on how the player weighs them. The closer to the middle you get, the severity of those attributes decreases considerably (as you're already aware).

The advantages of heavier strings fall under one type of category; they favor pitch, dynamic, and timbral aspects, at the expense of playability. The advantages of lighter strings fall in the playability category, at the expense of the pitch, dynamics, and timbre. Rather than just saying 'heavier strings sound better and lighter strings play better', I got more specific. I wasn't shorting the light strings; if it came across that way, I assure you that it wasn't my intent.

For someone who plays like Holdsworth, a set of 12-56 strings would not be wise. For someone who plays like SRV, a set of 8-38 would be pretty silly. Fingerstyle jazz players aren't going to use 8's; Yngwie is not going to use 12's (although I would LOVE to see him try :D ).

• Members

i dont hear too much difference in string thickness. the difference in sound imo, is how hard you press on the strings.

some people like using lots of effort, its part of their sound.

I use 10s, i play too aggressively for 9s, not aggressively enough for 11s. I have too many intonation issues with 9s, and i cant use bends or vibrato on 11s.

junior players (im still pretty much unior after 15 years) tend to have to excert a certain amount of force to help them do certain things like keep time, and hold a decent vibrato. related to this, good form will make bending thicker strings easier, and as my form isnt great, i need the lrelatively lighter string.

• Members

Wow - who'd have thought this could get so controversial :D

For me it depends on the guitar i'm playing and what i want to play on it. I wouldn't use 9's on a gibson scale length, cos they're a bit too 'floppy' at the lower tension and nor would I use them on an acoustic because the volume would drop out and the tone would suck.

For a fender scale electric I'll generally use 9's because for me they strike that happy medium. I've experimented with 10's and personally, when you crank on the distortion and effects could hear little tonal difference - playing clean passages on 10's sound better to my ear, but not enough to offset the, for want of a better word - lack of 'fluidity' i get with 9's.

Bottom line - it depends on what guitar you have, what style you play and what your personal prefference is... but I think the general consensus would be that 9's are where the 'happy medium' is for the majority of players?

• Members

"Wow - who'd have thought this could get so controversial "

Are you kidding me? People have been arguing about this for years on tons of message boards. The only correct answer is to play what you like and leave other people alone. One guy's 9's suck for a guy that likes 12's. The same 12's suck for the guy that likes 9's.. Ford vs Chevy, Brunettes vs. Redheads, 9mm or .357.... Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I'm a Dodge fan, married to a blonde, and I like my strings (and bullets) heavier than 9s..

Archived