Do you warmup- and if so, whats in your regime?

• Members

As the title states: do u warmup? and what do you do? im still a newbie (7 months exp) but recently i have developed a more structured regime to practising. i want to set aside atleast 30 mins a session to warming up- but im not quite sure if its a good routine

i basically play chromatics from 1- 24 frets, then i play arpeggios across 3-5 strings. then i pick a random scale and run thru it from ionian to mixolydian (do i really need locrian? :freak: ) across all their positions on the fret board alt picking. then 2 picks per note. then 3 till 5 picks per note for all the modes. by this time my fingers are pretty fluid and I can start learning new stuff. im jst curious to know if im missing something i may need to add or if its all good. im interested to hear everyone's warmup routine as well.

cheers!

• Members

I just jam over a rhythm track for about 20 minutes. I like the fact that since I start out cold, it's not just a bunch of wanking, I actually have to play musical ideas until I get warmed up. I mostly concentrate on having this phrase lead into that phrase which leads into this next group of phrases. After a while I start getting warmed up and start decorating the music with flashier stuff, instead of the other way around. I'll usually record a new rhythm track every few days - I need to always have something rather new to play over so I don't get bored and lose my inspiration.

There's also something nice about picking up a guitar for the first time all day and immediately trying to play music with it - it usually leads to some interesting ideas.

• Members

No. I practice 2-3 hours right when I get up in the morning and 2-3 hours before I go to bed, and maybe also 2-3 hours in the middle of the day. I went without bothering to practice from 1996 to 2004 and then I went from 2005-2006 without ever touching a guitar at all, but since I got a guitar a few months ago I spend 4-6 hours practicing every day. It's somewhat superfluous for me, but it allows me to be in playing condition all the time.

• Members

I usually start out with a sort of chromatic scale (first four frets of each string starting and ending with the low 'e'), and then I'll play through all the patterns of the pentatonic scale. I'll do 8th notes up and down, triplet 8ths up and down, then 16ths up and down for each pattern at 100bpm. It's more important to do it cleanly than fast.

• Members
Originally posted by Mike7771

here is a mine

http://www.guitarknowledgenet.com/GKN_TechniqueZone/Warmups1.html

I do something like this as well a few times, then I'll do a scale or two a few times. After that, I'll play a song that I'm trying to learn on my own or just mess with some chords for a bit (right now I've been doing Over The Hills And Far Away by Led Zeppelin). After I'll that I should be "in the zone" for playing and I'll work on what I have for a lesson for the week. So I practice about two hours a day. I'll warmup for about a half hour, do my lesson for an hour, and then I'll noodle around just doing random stuff at random times during the day. :thu:

Archived