Studying two or more instruments simultaneously

Ben J

• Members

I started out with the keyboard, so it is much more second nature to me, but after a long guitar-only hiatus, I've decided to revisit the keyboard to iron out some rusty or forgotten skills. My keyboard technique has returned in a relatively short period.

But I'm wondering how to make the best use of my practice time. Would it be worthwhile to play keyboard and guitar every other day, or would it be more productive to practice both on the same day?

• Members

...and if you practice one instrument but not the other on one day, does that day degrade your skill with the non-practiced instrument? I wonder about the same thing. Sometimes my strategy is to do a lot of recording, that way I'm practicing each instrument, and getting practice at putting them together.

• Members
Originally posted by paulodumb

...and if you practice one instrument but not the other on one day, does that day degrade your skill with the non-practiced instrument? I wonder about the same thing. Sometimes my strategy is to do a lot of recording, that way I'm practicing each instrument, and getting practice at putting them together.

Well, by the same token, one would say that playing a sport, or doing ANYTHING that involves muscle memory other than playing an instrument, will degrade your musical skill.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Either way, I love both instruments, so I wonder why I'm even asking and not just playing one of the damn things! :p

• Members

Originally posted by Ben J

Well, by the same token, one would say that playing a sport, or doing ANYTHING that involves muscle memory other than playing an instrument, will degrade your musical skill.

I don't think that's necessarily true.

I've actually been told quite the opposite - I'm a pipe organ player who played guitar and bass in high school and still play football, and I've heard that it's only beneficial to do other activities that require coordination and timing (...). Not that it can replace actual practice time on your instrument, but still...

• Members

i would say try both methods. try one week where you switch off, and then another week where you practice both every day. make a journal of your practicing and see with which method you improve the most. also, to make the results 100% perfect and scientific, you should limit your practice times. for example of you play one hour of each on your shared days, play 2 hours of whichever instrument on the switch days. That way all your hours will compute to the same at the end of the week also.

• Members

I believe it's better to pay everyday. That's the golden rule I have followed for close to 30 years now on guitar. It's not do much the amount of time, be it 15 minutes or several hours. So if you are really serious (and serious is the key work) about both instruments I would say play them both everyday. You could alternate which one you play first every other day. I play guitar as my primary instrument. I have tried to learn keyboard on several occasions but could not maintain the keyboard dedication at the level I have for guitar. Recently I 've started using a guitar synth which I find is a lot of fun and a very handy tool.

• Members

Originally posted by red|dragon

drop guitar and just do keyboard. too many guitarists and not enough keyboardists. if i were you, i would make keyboard my primary instrument and guitar secondary. you know how many people play guitar right? way too many.

wow you're so bad ass and against the grain.

• Members
Originally posted by red|dragon

drop guitar and just do keyboard. too many guitarists and not enough keyboardists. if i were you, i would make keyboard my primary instrument and guitar secondary. you know how many people play guitar right? way too many.

No way, man. Do you know of any musicians who have shred battles with themselves?

ME.:mad:

I play a few different instruments, and it takes a little bit of work, but you can balance between them.

The overall musicality that you practice (rhythm, intonation, scales, etc) for the most part carries over between instruments. What suffers if neglected is the physical technique of playing the instrument. As long as you put a bit of work into both instruments each day to keep your physical chops up, and then some time playing music on either one, you'll be fine. Also, technique and music need not be seperate; you can find ways to work both at once.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

i started out piano as well. personally i think piano is the best instrument, but guitar is my favorite instrument.

anyway i practice 6 hours a day, and usually its a 5 to 1 ratio in favor of guitar. two reasons: 1) i've played piano longer so i guess i feel i'm better on that instrument 2) because i want to (seriously)

just decide which one you want to ultimately be better one and distribute time each day accordingly. if your split and can't decide then just take the total amount of time yo can practice each day and divide it in half.

also i don't know what you're into as far as music, but i love jazz, r&b, etc. i usually practice the same songs on both instruments. it'll teach you arranging, harmony, etc which may ultimately lead to a better understanding and some songwriting abilities.

• Members

Originally posted by Poparad

I play a few different instruments, and it takes a little bit of work, but you can balance between them.

The overall musicality that you practice (rhythm, intonation, scales, etc) for the most part carries over between instruments. What suffers if neglected is the physical technique of playing the instrument. As long as you put a bit of work into both instruments each day to keep your physical chops up, and then some time playing music on either one, you'll be fine. Also, technique and music need not be seperate; you can find ways to work both at once.

Sometimes, if the instruments are pretty simliar they can help each other. Playing balalajka is so much easier after having played some guitar, where the stretches are much wider and the strings are harder to press down.

Archived