Cool song, but can't figure out this chord...

noize

• Members

I'm trying to learn this arrangement of a song by the Handsome Family. The version I'm trying to learn is a cover by Davie Lawson. It's pretty straightforward but I'm, embarrassingly, stuck on this chord, maybe you guys could help me out.

0KpNd8fKxyM

It's the chord right after the E in the last line of the second verse. Sounds like some kind of E variant, but I can't figure it out. It's also after the G in the chorus. Chords not relevant to capo, obv. The one I can't figure out is labeled as "_?_".

Edit: HC killed my formatting but you get the idea.

Here's what I got so far...

E A E

We stopped for coffee in the redwood forest

G A E G A E

Giant dripping leaves, spoons of powdered cream

E A E

I wanted to kiss you, but I wasn't sure how

G A E G A E

Like those Indians, lost in the rain forest

E A E

Forced to drag burning wood wherever they went

G A E G A E _?_ E

They had all forgotten, how to start a fire

Chorus:

G _?_

Thanks!

I think it's B7(add sus4)/E

Not as complicated as the title suggests. He's playing (Capo=0):

-0-

-0-

-2-

-1-

-2-

-0-

Well, it need not be such a complicated name. Sus replaces the 3rd with a 4th, while add just adds a 4th, so having both in the name is contradictory. B7add4 is all that's needed (well, B7add4/E). However, because it's a 7th chord, B11/E is even more correct, and simpler.

• Members

Well, it need not be such a complicated name. Sus replaces the 3rd with a 4th, while add just adds a 4th, so having both in the name is contradictory. B7add4 is all that's needed (well, B7add4/E). However, because it's a 7th chord, B11/E is even more correct, and simpler.

Yup! easy to play, but I never know what to call it...

From this day forward, I'm going to call it "Paul"

• Members

It's funny, I've always "optionally" played the F# on the top E string with that chord, seeing it as basically the same sound, calling it B7 anyhow.

I agree that the top F# is not being played. If I was covering this, I might or might not play it depending on my mood...

GaJ

Archived