The JonFinn Jam!

• Members

Hope you don't mind Jon, but I thought your backing track might get lost in the other jam thread..:)

Here it is:

http://dev.jonfinn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/CminorDescendingLine6-8BT081010.mp3

and here's some wankage over the first 2 minutes..I tried to play honestly, just listening and playing without thinking much at all. As a result, I don't think I addressed the chords as well as I'd like to...but had a lot of fun with it.

http://www.box.net/shared/41q9a8iqxd

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Does this skip around 2:32? Just checking, maybe something screwed up in the download.

On the BT?..I don't think so..seemed ok here. :idk:

Edit:..actually I think it does. :o..not sure if it has the same problem on the original link though in the other jam thread.

• Members

BTW - lost in all this. Mo nice take as usual man! You always set the bar so high dude! Gotta botch one or 2 so you don't scare people off : ) I'll see if i have the energy to do one (came down pretty sick on the weekend with a cold/flu) - don't think I'll be going for 7 minutes though! Almost the "close to the edge" of backing tracks.

• Members

BTW - lost in all this. Mo nice take as usual man! You always set the bar so high dude! Gotta botch one or 2 so you don't scare people off : ) I'll see if i have the energy to do one (came down pretty sick on the weekend with a cold/flu) - don't think I'll be going for 7 minutes though! Almost the "close to the edge" of backing tracks.

:lol: Thanks Jeremy!..I'm not that pleased with it..I know I can do a better job targeting some of the chords Jon used..but it's ok..just something to get us started..I'll probably do another one. Hope your cold gets better!.

• Members

I played around with this track some over the weekend, but I really didn't have a lot of time. I only got as far as figuring out the chord progression. I'll try to give it a go tonight, though I haven't been feeling particularly well either.

On a positive note, I got a Mac over the weekend, so now I have Garage Band, which makes me really happy!!!

• Members

Kind of a mix of Summertime and Still Got the Blues. Also, right in line with that E Minor Ballad jam we did a few months ago.

Yup. Exactly. Last summer, I taught a workshop at Guitar Workshop Plus in Toronto with John Petrucci. On his ipod, he had a bunch of really simple (I mean REALLY simple) jam tracks that he did. They had titles like "Metal C minor" and "Fast Rock in E" etc. Most were one-chord drones with a drum beat. He told me he uses them to warm up.

One my latest projects is to create a "subscription-based" website where subscribers have access to "premium content" (lessons, backing tracks, sheet-music and tab charts etc.) and it's been a good exercise in productivity.

When I write tunes, I sometimes get too caught up in trying to be "original" to the point of not allowing myself to write anything. These BT's kinda give me permission to be derivative because I'm not really writing tunes.

I've found in the past that success is a matter of habit. If I'm in a writing-slump (which I am now...) the solution is to show up and write (knowing that 99% of it will be derivative and unoriginal). If don't show up and write often, that "nugget" tends to pass by me before I take the time to harness it.

• Members

I've found in the past that success is a matter of habit. If I'm in a writing-slump (which I am now...) the solution is to show up and write (knowing that 99% of it will be derivative and unoriginal). If don't show up and write often, that "nugget" tends to pass by me before I take the time to harness it.

Took me a while to realise this, but it's certainly true in my case. I used to get into a panic about not being "inspired" and would say to the band "I've got nothing" and worry about it. When I started to think in terms of "It's Sunday afternoon, it's songwriting time, so I need to sit down and get to work!"..stuff happens. Most of the songs that start like that are {censored}, granted..but quite often nowadays the "inspiration" comes from just being disciplined about it.

• Members

Yup. Exactly. Last summer, I taught a workshop at Guitar Workshop Plus in Toronto with John Petrucci. On his ipod, he had a bunch of really simple (I mean REALLY simple) jam tracks that he did. They had titles like "Metal C minor" and "Fast Rock in E" etc. Most were one-chord drones with a drum beat. He told me he uses them to warm up.

One my latest projects is to create a "subscription-based" website where subscribers have access to "premium content" (lessons, backing tracks, sheet-music and tab charts etc.) and it's been a good exercise in productivity.

When I write tunes, I sometimes get too caught up in trying to be "original" to the point of not allowing myself to write anything. These BT's kinda give me permission to be derivative because I'm not really writing tunes.

I always write through my writing slumps too. Inspiration can come as a waterfall or a light spring rain...so I've always tried to 'be there' when it comes up as it usually has nothing to do with me or my mood. I have over 100 tapes of me just hitting record and "playing through'. A lot of times what I don't dig at the time grabs me a couple of months later.

That's a great idea from John. Before bigger shows I'll walk the theater halls playing against changes in my head and talking to cast member and such while playing. It not only helps me get warmed up but it also helps me lets me focus my mind in two directions so it makes it a breeze to focus on one thing when we hit the stage. But, I'm going to put some of my backing track/workout/show material on my mp3 player and play against it before the show, sounds like a great idea!

Let us know when you get somethings together. The web is a great profit center for sure. I've been teaching online through Skype for quite a while now and it works out great. One guy who has his site together pretty good (seems to be doing good business with it anyways) is http://chuckdaloiamusic.com/. You may know Chuck, he's been hanging on the popular forums for quite a while now. He usually has some great freebees to draw people in and then has some real quality stuff for sale.

• Members

How does the tone sound to you?

I think the tone is killer. Fantastic wailing moaning tone.

There are some very tasty pieces in the take, but a few places where it felt like you were waiting for something to happen, and so is the listener :) (And this is from a fan of slow! :eek:;) )

GaJ

• Members
I hope to take a 2nd try at this epic BT. Maybe a "as many notes nobody plays like this cut;), as this one is syrupy.

Thanks for listens/comments:cool:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9724386

:wave:

**edit**

My friend just loaned me his sennheiser e609? so I was anxious to try it and took another run. Link is to the NEW one.

Hope nobody listened, don't want to overpost:facepalm:

I managed to go the full 7+ min.
:eek:
Not that that is a good thing. You be the judge, tho I can't imagine that many will listen all thru.

..even tho there is the hidden message but..
;)

Ok enough of me already.

How does the tone sound to you?

Love it! I've also got an e609 they rock! Love that "slinky/bendy" thing you do!

Archived