Opinions on this

Virgman

• Members

Guitar teacher is there to do four things :

1) Tell student what to do :poke:

2) Explain WHY :idea:

3) Show him/her how :rawk:

4) Make sure the student is doing it right :cop:

If I understood what the site is saying in regards to the interface - is that it will allow the teacher to do #1, to some extent #3 and to no extent #2 and #4.

In the age when there are excellent guitar teachers offering webcam lessons where they accomplish all 4 points 100%? :facepalm:

"C-" at best... :idk:

• Members

I hate the program itself; not very convenient. Also the fact that there isn't a proper 'grid' for the tablature makes it just makes it very sloppy at times, and that's both annoying and confusing.

However some good songs on the site, for example this Simpsons theme transcription for guitar http://www.lickbyneck.com/SoloGuitar-Fatt-Pop02.html (scroll down to find it). On that note the site is also needs a bit of work as finding anything on it is difficult.

Interesting place to learn songs; don't know if it has any value as a teaching tool. Awesome of the guy to offer it up for free though :thu:.

• Members

Ok, my opinion.

The pro:

I checked out some of the songs and they are pretty good. The player works good. You could definitely learn a bunch of songs to play at a wedding or something. It's free. If you like fingerstyle it's ideal. There are a bunch of lessons on many other things too.

the Con

If you just learned the tabs you wouldn't really understand anything about music or theory. In other words, you could become really good at doing it, but not know what you're doing. But at least you could make music.

In sum, it's still pretty good. I give the author high marks. He's put a lot of effort into it.

• Members

the method used by this site to teach guitar?

Well, I see this site as repertoire storage, definitely not as teaching tool. I go here regulary and pick one or two idees for my own arrangments or nice chordal textures for my group efforts.

The grading is very accurate and the advanced stuff is really advanced. I found this page for Ted Greene and turned out a goldmine for several other reasons.

Archived