good reading books

smbauer2

• Members

Would like to improve my reading. I am an advanced player with intermediate reading skills. Have gone through a good number of tunes in the real book and have done the Melodic Rhythms book by Bill Leavitt. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Scott

• Members

Leavitt's "Modern Method for Guitar" Vol 1,2,3 are really good. There is actually a DVD version of vol 1 which is really a nice value add.

I've had the original Vol 1 since about 1982 (got it from a band mate who went to Berklee), what is the point of the DVD in the new ones???

Does it teach you to read or is it audio of the book material?

• Members

I've had the original Vol 1 since about 1982 (got it from a band mate who went to Berklee), what is the point of the DVD in the new ones???

Does it teach you to read or is it audio of the book material?

Its pretty cool the instructor (cant recall his name) assists through the concepts and generally fills in some background. I went through that book like 20 years ago. A student got the DVD version so I borrowed it to check it out. It's pretty cool. Filled in some holes someone would have if not assisted through. Just like a good teacher would do for you. I'd recommend it.

• Members

Its pretty cool the instructor (cant recall his name) assists through the concepts and generally fills in some background. I went through that book like 20 years ago. A student got the DVD version so I borrowed it to check it out. It's pretty cool. Filled in some holes someone would have if not assisted through. Just like a good teacher would do for you. I'd recommend it.

So it's like "thought process" through the material? I'll look to see if there is any on youtube.

• Members

If you recall there is quite a few chord approach pages in there. On these pages I thought it was particularly helpful as i always felt these pages didnt communicate well (all due respect of course).

So with each page he discusses the piece, what to look for, small analysis etc. The he plays part II while you are to play part I

that type of stuff

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions. That Bill Leavitt Modern Method is the other one I have laying around (the complete one with all three books). Started looking at that...it's just SO dry...and poorly formatted (It looks like it was typed up on a typewriter in the fifties).

But hey, I guess reading isn't exactly that exciting to begin with. Does anybody know how to get a hold of broadway charts? I played guitar for Rent last year and that reading was actually really fun. Any thoughts would be awesome.

Thanks!

Scott

• Members

It's been said, and I can't remember who, that the secret to playing fast when reading music has nothing to do with the hands and fingers but to do with the brain. It's recognizing the notes and having your brain transfer that information to your fingers. What does this take. Repetition, or better known as practice.

Archived