How much should guitar lessons cost?

• Members

I'm curious what you guys think. How much should guitar lessons cost? Local rural, small cities, not big cities with a decent teacher? Also, should lessons be longer than an hour or is 30 min good. Last, how many days a week or month.

• Members

Depends, but time wise if the teacher has the excitement in his teaching method, then I'd say 50 to 60 minutes. Price wise, well it probably comes down to the age and experience of the teacher so it will vary a lot. I wouldn't mind paying 15 bucks for 50 minutes lessons just to have some one coach me in the right direction and I go home and practice what I was taught. So many variables here. When we go to a music store and they charge like 40 bucks, the teacher may end up only getting 15 bucks or so, so I don't think I'm too far off from reality here

• Members

Depends, but time wise if the teacher has the excitement in his teaching method, then I'd say 50 to 60 minutes. Price wise, well it probably comes down to the age and experience of the teacher so it will vary a lot. I wouldn't mind paying 15 bucks for 50 minutes lessons just to have some one coach me in the right direction and I go home and practice what I was taught. So many variables here. When we go to a music store and they charge like 40 bucks, the teacher may end up only getting 15 bucks or so, so I don't think I'm too far off from reality here

Just a note on going to a music "store" for a music "lesson". Music stores are interested in making money by selling and renting equipment. They offer lessons mostly to get "buyers" into their store, so lessons are not their priority and thus most instructors are second class that work in these establishments. It is better by far to go to a music "studio" where their priority is teaching. They may sell a few instruments too, but the instruments are a sideline to be convenient for the students.

• Members

I charge $40/hour which is low compared to a lot of teachers where I live. My willingness to do it depends a lot on the quality of students I am able to work with. For some reason, I've met a lot of people who like to try to teach me during lessons they're paying for, which I find incredibly off-putting, and I will not teach them. The ones I do end up teaching are fantastic people who want to learn.

My point is this: if you don't have the cash to pay a teacher's asking price, having a good attitude and showing a willingness to learn goes a long way if you're interested in negotiating. People want to do things for people that are likeable. I want to have fun while teaching.

• Members

My guitar teacher has an interesting price structure -- $20 for 30 minutes, $25 for an hour. His theory is that lessons should be an hour so he prices to give incentive to go for the hour. He also teaches out of his house, so there's no vig for a music store.

• Members

For some reason, I've met a lot of people who like to try to teach
me
during lessons
they're
paying for, which I find incredibly off-putting, and I will not teach them. The ones

Yes I run into this too. I dont understand this though? Its like why?

• Members

For some reason, I've met a lot of people who like to try to teach
me
during lessons
they're
paying for, which I find incredibly off-putting

I love it when students try to teach me stuff. Most of the time, it's because they want to validate themselves. The way I see it, if they show me something useful, it's a pretty generous gift. If it isn't, then it can become a topic of discussion.

You learn a lot when you listen to how your students understand things. It shows you how to teach them.

• Members

I love it when students try to teach me stuff. Most of the time, it's because they want to validate themselves. The way I see it, if they show me something useful, it's a pretty generous gift. If it isn't, then it can become a topic of discussion.

You learn a lot when you listen to how your students understand things. It shows you how to teach them.

+1

Actually it is quite arrogant to ignore when students wants to teach you something. You can learn something from everybody. You can always say "cool! Can you learn me that when this lesson is done?" or extend the lesson a few minutes, but to simply ignore is not smart, especially if it makes you a better player!

• Members

Ummmm excuse the paranoia but I posted that I thought $50 was expensive, what I didnt say was it was via skype. I only thought it was expensive because I couldnt afford it.

Bankers and other hellbound lampreys get a fortune, fiscally. Spiritually, music teachers hopefully get a lot more.

Yeah, I know, it dont pay the rent, sorry.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived