beginners rock guitar book

• Members

I agree on the Stetina books!

Depending on your playing level, you might also want to check out Stetina's Total Rock Guitar (this one is for real beginners). This one might be too easy for you, considering you already been playing for 4 years.

Another great book is Peter Fischer's Rock Guitar Secrets.

• Members

I have both Stetina's Rhythm books and Total Rock and Metal lead guitar. But what I am looking for that I am not finding in these books is the why! I want a book that will show what choreds work well together and what scales to play over them. Alot of these books mentioned just show technique and tell you what mode you are in or what scale you are using. Any suggestions?

• Members

I think Stetina's book Fretboard Mastery covers more theory than his other books.

But also the other book I mentioned (Rock Guitar Secrets by Peter Fischer) has some theory in it.

Otherwise I'd suggest getting a general music theory textbook :idk:

You can also find loads of stuff on music theory on the internet.

I haven't really looked into this, but I just found this:

http://www.musictheory.net/

Maybe it's interesting and helpful.

• Members

I have both Stetina's Rhythm books and Total Rock and Metal lead guitar. But what I am looking for that I am not finding in these books is the why! I want a book that will show what choreds work well together and what scales to play over them. Alot of these books mentioned just show technique and tell you what mode you are in or what scale you are using. Any suggestions?

Ear training and transcribing is what you need to do.

You can read all the theory in the world, but if your ears can't hear it there is no point.

• Members

Check out the On Topic Tutorials at that link I posted.

There is also a ton of info on chord progressions here: http://mikedodge.freeforums.org/one-off-lessons-and-concepts-f2.html

Archived