My only little secret...

• Members

Life is manic at present so no time for learning.

Lame really but so many take so long to type lengthy explanations so I just thought Id offer a little, something that Ive kept to myself thinking one day....

Anyway, just really wanted to develop relative or perfect pitch so I could reproduce part of the call of a curlew or nightjar, nightingale whatever. A little natural inspiration.

Yeah , told you it was lame but its all I got.

• Members

Life is manic at present so no time for learning.

Lame really but so many take so long to type lengthy explanations so I just thought Id offer a little, something that Ive kept to myself thinking one day....

Anyway, just really wanted to develop relative or perfect pitch so I could reproduce part of the call of a curlew or nightjar, nightingale whatever. A little natural inspiration.

Relative pitch is what you need. IMO it doesn't matter what register the call is in (how high or low it is). What matters is the internal pitch relationships: the shape of the call; that's what relative pitch helps you with. (A tune is the same tune regardless of what key it's in.)

You have some degree of relative pitch already (everyone does); it just needs refining.

It's difficult (if not impossible) to translate bird calls very accurately into music. They're not usually pitched in 12 neat octave divisions (!), and tend to include a lot of swoops, glissandi with no specific pitch. A lot of them are also very fast!

But they can certainly be inspiring; several classical composers have experimented with them.

However, if you have "no time for learning" - how are you going to find the time to work on your relative pitch? Or to actually study those bird calls? And is that the best thing you can do with your precious time? ;)

• Members

Sorry ambiguity of typo, just wanted to share. Had this silly idea that I could record them, find the notes analyticaly and people would go..wow man.

Just found that theory thread and your succinct reply so inspiring that I couldnt feel right keeping it to myself. Im blushing now as its fairly rediculous in print, but it was meant with the best of intentions.

• Members

Sorry ambiguity of typo, just wanted to share. Had this silly idea that I could record them, find the notes analyticaly and people would go..wow man.

As I say, you'd be lucky to identify pitches in a lot of bird songs, because they don't tune themselves! There are some birds whose songs have steadier pitches, which could probably be notated near enough. You would need to slow them down a hell of a lot (see links below).

I don't know if people would go "wow", just because you managed to write them down! You'd need to process them in some way - make music out of them. I can imagine it would be possible to sample bird calls and make music with them that way - no need to identify pitches or transcribe anything, just feed the audio into a sampler, loop it, change pitch, repeat stuff, add a beat, etc. Something cool could certainly happen that way.

Maybe you could check out the composers and musicologists who've been there before. Here's some reading:

http://www.colander.org/gallimaufry/Birdsong.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biomusic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivier_Messiaen

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2003/apr/11/classicalmusicandopera.artsfeatures (oops, some guy actually has digitized birdsong samples already... I might have known it...)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/simon_barnes/article7099724.ece

• Members

My secret is, I just want to get through the next month of gigs that starts next weekend. Besides working a 40+ hour job in MI I have these bus tour gigs...pretty aggressive considering my day job, on call schedule, family, lesson schedule, etc...gonna be a lot of hours on the bus.

Rex Theater

Saturday, August 27

Pittsburgh, PA

Doors 8pm, Show 9pm

Tickets: $15 Advance, $17 Door

Beachland Ballroom

Friday, September 2

Doors 8pm, Show 9pm

15711 Waterloo Road

Cleveland, OH

Tickets: $10

Indianapolis, IN

Saturday, September 3

This just confirmed today, and I don't have the details yet.

Korruption

Friday, September 9

Saturday, September 10

Doors 8pm, Show 9pm

1717 West 9th Street

Kansas City, MO 64101

(816) 842-1078

Tickets: $10

Korruption

Saturday, September 10

Doors 8pm, Show 9pm

1717 West 9th Street