So, I did a short Vid.

mosiddiqi

• Members

:o..one of the guys in GJ was asking about how I generate fast licks out of the mixo mode..and I just yesterday got my new Suhr, a small Blackstar 1w amp and a Zoom HD video recorder. So here goes, apologies for..everything really. :o

[video=youtube;WpHjmHdzmgU]

• Members
Loved it. Sounds rocking.

Only one thing, for us dummies: can you confirm what darn shapes it is you're referring to?

"In the key of A we all know that" .... what shape was that?
:facepalm:

Thanks!

GaJ

Part of really learning guitar is figuring these things out yourself.

You know your Mixolydian scale, right?

In A = A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G

Take your standard E minor pentatonic box and find where the other notes are... you'll notice all the notes of the E minor pentatonic are in the A mixolydian scale... ;)

• Members

Loved it. Sounds rocking.

Only one thing, for us dummies: can you confirm what darn shapes it is you're referring to?

"In the key of A we all know that" .... what shape was that?
:facepalm:

Thanks!

GaJ

Thanks GaJ :D..I meant the classic "box" shape..pentatonic with the added dorian notes..

• Members

Nice Mo! Cool to actually hear and see you speak for like the first time EVER! This online thing is an odd experience for me. I feel like we know each other but I have never actually laid eyes on ya til now. How ya likin the Suhr? I was inches away form getting one... then I went with a new Strat : )

• Members

Nice Mo! Cool to actually hear and see you speak for like the first time EVER! This online thing is an odd experience for me. I feel like we know each other but I have never actually laid eyes on ya til now. How ya likin the Suhr? I was inches away form getting one... then I went with a new Strat : )

I'm loving the Suhr!..I very nearly bought one of their "classic Strat" models..but decided I wanted the humbucker at the bridge, and my regular Fender Strat is pretty unbeatable for me anyways. It's just a US Standard with Kinman pickups, but it's part of me!. The Gotoh bridge on this Suhr is great, stays in tune very well. I might get one for my Fender.

Yeah, this whole online thing is odd, I feel like I have lots of good friends that I've never actually met!..but I know we'd get on really well if we did. Weird.

This vid was really aimed at a specific person who asked a particular question, and I knew something about his ability as I've heard him play..so not a "proper" lesson as such, just an insight into how I approached something that I thought he'd find useful.

Congrats on the Strat!.what did you get?

• Members

Have you ever worked in broadcasting? Great demeanor and delivery. You could do news, documentaries - I thought I was listening to Nova on PBS.

OK I was kinda groggy at the time. I'll go back for the lesson later. lol.

:lol: Thanks!..nah, I did three vids on Saturday with the new kit, first time I've ever done this type of thing.

• Members

I'm loving the Suhr!..I very nearly bought one of their "classic Strat" models..but decided I wanted the humbucker at the bridge, and my regular Fender Strat is pretty unbeatable for me anyways. It's just a US Standard with Kinman pickups, but it's part of me!. The Gotoh bridge on this Suhr is great, stays in tune very well. I might get one for my Fender.

Yeah, this whole online thing is odd, I feel like I have lots of good friends that I've never actually met!..but I know we'd get on really well if we did. Weird.

This vid was really aimed at a specific person who asked a particular question, and I knew something about his ability as I've heard him play..so not a "proper" lesson as such, just an insight into how I approached something that I thought he'd find useful.

Congrats on the Strat!.what did you get?

Yeah one day I'll get over your side of the pond and look you up!

The strat is a Jeff Beck model - white on white with rosewood fretboard. It's got the Clapton pickup set featuring noiseless singles and the pots are: Vol, expanded EQ with center notch, and a boost. So it has a built in gain stage of sorts.... I can roll on more as i need. Very cool setup. I LOVE this guitar .... although the trem goes out of tune a bit if I use it too much. I suspect I have a wonky tuning machine that is throwing it off. Here's a pic.

197834_10150415299480062_835160061_17190

• Members

Nicely done Mo... looking forward to the next one. :snax:

My thoughts exactly. I know you're from London, but you don't type with an accent so I never really thought about it

• Members

Hi mosiddiqi,

Liked hearing you playing after reading your posts on here for so long. I have just a theory question I don't understand about your example. I know the Em pentatonic box matches up with the A mix scale, but why is it the Dorian shape? E is the 5th of A so E mixolydian makes sense.... but E dorian would be the second in the key of D. And the relative major of D minor is Bmaj. So that would be the second of A.... B dorian. Is this correct? Or am I over thinking the whole thing?

Anyone feel free to chime in. :)

• Members

Hi mosiddiqi,

Liked hearing you playing after reading your posts on here for so long. I have just a theory question I don't understand about your example. I know the Em pentatonic box matches up with the A mix scale, but why is it the Dorian shape? E is the 5th of A so E mixolydian makes sense.... but E dorian would be the second in the key of D. And the relative major of D minor is Bmaj. So that would be the second of A.... B dorian. Is this correct? Or am I over thinking the whole thing?

Anyone feel free to chime in.
:)

A Mixolydian is the same notes as D major

E Dorian also has the same notes as D major

Analyze the notes and you will see the why (sorry gotta run!)

• Members

A Mixolydian is the same notes as D major

E Dorian also has the same notes as D major

Analyze the notes and you will see the why (sorry gotta run!)

What Jeremy said!..I was referring to the specific Dorian shape..in A (highest string first) it's:

5 7 8

5 7 8

4 5 7

4 5 7

5 7

5 7 8

If you start that on the 12th fret with E as your root..then it's E Dorian..same notes as A Mixo or F# Phrygian or..and so on.

it's funny but I was reading a Michael Angelo Batio lesson the other day, and he said his teacher told him to "always find the Dorian shape!"..for instant shredage. Obviously, this doesn't necessarily lead to good music and the danger is that you rely on shapes, rather than being guided by melodies...but like I say, you have to start somewhere!. For us rock/metal guys particularly, it's a simple way of generating some mindless faster licks, all that 3 note per string stuff...:rawk::lol:

• Members

Hi Mo!

I've always wanted to see the development of a solo, starting slowly with just two or three notes, with a running commentary and explanations as notes, chords and effects (bends, hammers etc) are added as the solo progresses, especially regarding the runs linking chords. Basically......what's going through your mind as you proceed.

This is probably not an easy one to do. The important thing would be not to assume any prior knowledge in the minds of the audience, and to detail everything.

Well.....you did ask :).

Other than that?

Can you juggle:)?

• Members

Also......pace.

When messing about in my little studio, say playing a violin part on the keys, I've learned the importance of this. For instance, if I start off slowly and quietly, the music obviously has to change at some point, ie get louder, maybe faster.....then, at some point, needs contrast again. So the melody can go up in pitch, and maybe hover there until.......it comes down in pitch, forming the standard musical "wave" effect. And so it goes on, up and down, in speed, volume and pitch.

Your thoughts on this would be interesting. Anybody else's too.

What's a good approach?

Archived